Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Adobe Flash doesn't work
Posted by: zenbones
Date: October 17, 2009 04:51PM

Problem: I've been unable to access any Flash videos on You TUbe or other sites using usingdes. deos. I get an error message stating that I need to "Get the Latest Flash Player". This problem is limited to K-Meleon as I can access Flash videos using other browsers, i.e. Opera, FF, Chrome, and IE.

I have the K-Meleon Flash Plugin v10.0r32 enabled. I also tried changing the UA to Firefox2 and SeaMonkey to no avail.

Another weird fact. I thought to install a current version of Adobe ted to download the current version of Adobe flashplayer. Thus, using the link for "another browser" I was taken to this page
==> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Unfortunately, I couldn't activate the "Continue" button using K-Meleon.
Weird.

I had to use Opera to activate the button and download the correct file. I then installed the shockwave file but was still unable to use file.

Thus, can anyone suggest what I might do in order to be able to view Flash videos on You tube and other sites?

Thanks
Wndy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adobe Flash doesn't work
Date: October 17, 2009 05:28PM

I'd like to add that I also get an error message when accessing a site requiring Java Script. For example if one goes to this BBC site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_three

and clicks on a program I get the error message "Please enable Java script"
Of course, I have all the Javascript plugin enabled and changing to a different UA doesn't remedy the problem.

Can anyone offer any suggested work arounds? Thanks
Wndy

Posted by: siria
Date: October 17, 2009 05:29PM

Oh well, with the downloading from Adobe I had probs too, might well be that I used Opera too... :rolleyes: Am on Win98se...
Without javascript youtube tells me too, to update my flash, so this is sure the culprit... Settings are on F2/javascript... Or do you have some add-on installed to control it, like policies manager? Or perhaps there's some hint in "about:config"...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2009 05:37PM by siria.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 17, 2009 06:11PM

@ zenbones

Make sure NPSWF32.dll is located in K-Meleon's plugins folder.
I have no AdobeFlash installed. I've just extracted from the AdobeFlash install package the above .DLL into K-Meleon's plugins folder.(did the same with Opera aswell)
Works fine with YouTUbe flash videos (.swf)
Just tested the BBC link you gave and it works fine as well:

Maks sure that JavaScript is enabled in your browser.

Date: October 17, 2009 06:46PM

For some funny coincidence, I've just read shortly before Zen posted, that IE requires an "installed" flash, unlike Firefox and K-Meleon ;-) On a highly informative site by the way, regarding privacy: www.jsware.net/jsware/cook.php5#udata

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 17, 2009 07:37PM

As siria said: works for me. Using plugin from default location.
In spite of privacy issues when using that location & not the solo plugin.

p.s. Make sure You did not use finger on F7 since that toggles JavaScript.

I trust siria: deactivated JS might be the problem. smiling smiley

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 18, 2009 11:22PM

Yogi
@ zenbones

Make sure NPSWF32.dll is located in K-Meleon's plugins folder.
I have no AdobeFlash installed. I've just extracted from the AdobeFlash install package the above .DLL into K-Meleon's plugins folder.(did the same with Opera aswell)

Maks sure that JavaScript is enabled in your browser.

Yogi,

Using just the DLL in plugins, is there a way to download the flash SWF file instead of running it or in addition to running it?

Tks.

N

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 19, 2009 07:05AM

Download his exe installer and extract his file without install it.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: October 19, 2009 08:37AM

ndebord
Using just the DLL in plugins, is there a way to download the flash SWF file instead of running it or in addition to running it?

Tks.

You mean the video.swf?
Basically it should be possible. I never tried myself by using a download tool (or script/macros?)
I only grab the link and pass it to an online service like KeepVid. So I have also the option to save the vid to MP4 which I prefer over SWF.

In case it's about the install package just as desga2 understood it, here are the direct links to the complete packages:
v9
v10

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 19, 2009 01:48PM

Yogi
ndebord

Tks.

You mean the video.swf?
Basically it should be possible. I never tried myself by using a download tool (or script/macros?)
I only grab the link and pass it to an online service like KeepVid. So I have also the option to save the vid to MP4 which I prefer over SWF.

In case it's about the install package just as desga2 understood it, here are the direct links to the complete packages:
v9
v10

Yogi,

Using online services is never my preference.* I think a macro would be nice as that would be in the tradition of KM, although saving to MPG instead of SWF does look tempting.

*I go back to IBM 370s and Univac 1040s <g> so when personal computers came along that allowed you to keep your data at home, I was thrilled. I am not equally thrilled about this Cloud computing concept (nor are Sidekick users right now either!).

N

Date: October 19, 2009 03:50PM

ndebord
Using online services is never my preference.*

Basically I have the same attitude toward online services like you.
However there are some exceptions like KeepVid e.g. or ImageShack. (I don't have to register, not even to allow cookies or JavaScript, no sensitive data gets passed)

ndebord
I think a macro would be nice as that would be in the tradition of KM, although saving to MPG instead of SWF does look tempting.

You mean MP4? However MP4 is more convenient than MPG since it has much better compression rates than MPG at same quality.
Of course there are tools you can do the conversion with, locally as well.

ndebord
*I go back to IBM 370s and Univac 1040s <g> so when personal computers came along that allowed you to keep your data at home, I was thrilled. I am not equally thrilled about this Cloud computing concept (nor are Sidekick users right now either!).

The cloud computing concept is less valid in this case IMHO since KeepVid is just a mediator handing over the vid without any hassle while the screenshots I upload sometimes to ImageShack are for sharing anyway.

Date: October 19, 2009 05:20PM

I checked and found that I did in fact have the NPSWF32.dll in my plugin folder . However, I downloaded another version and copied over to the plugin folder just to make sure.

I'm still unable to view any FLash vids or Javascript and both are enabled.

I'm wondering about the advisability of simply downloading and reinstalling K-Meleon again. Would that overirght all the bookmarks and changes I've made to this version?

This is truly annoying. I wish I could figure out what the devil is preventing me from seeing these websites when everyone else appears to be able to.

Thank you very much for replying and for any further suggestions you might offer.

Wndy

Date: October 19, 2009 05:57PM

zenbones
I checked and found that I did in fact have the NPSWF32.dll in my plugin folder .

You mean plugins folder. What other .dll is in that folder?

zenbones
I'm still unable to view any FLash vids or Javascript and both are enabled.

What exactly do you mean by viewing JavaScript?

zenbones
I'm wondering about the advisability of simply downloading and reinstalling K-Meleon again. Would that overirght all the bookmarks and changes I've made to this version?

No it shoudn't. But if your installation is screwed up it won't help probably either.

Date: October 19, 2009 06:26PM

Mon dieu... grinning smiley Profiles and reinstalling? Would be way too complicated for me, I just simply copy sometimes the whole KM-folder (where also my profile is in), and voila have a backup of everything. No prob, couldn't be simpler! eye rolling smiley Neither did I install it in the first place, just download, unzip, create an empty file "profile.ini" in it, and it's portable right-away. Which version I then start doesn't matter, they're independant. Anything messed? Just copy over either the prefs.js from the profile, or the whole profile, or simple the whole KM folder... The bookmarks are also just one single html-file inside the folder, easy to copy for backup. Same for hotlist.
So just leave your existing installation alone, a backup copy never can harm, and unzip a fresh KM to try ;-)

Okay, no clue about the plugin, but if you're really absolutely sure you haven't somehow blocked the javascript, and flash doesn't work with the plugin, then why not try it without? KM should use the one from the system. E.g. create a subfolder in the plugins folder and move the plugin into it, so it's not used any more, but the one from the system. If it doesn't help, well it was worth trying ;-) Anyone know of a site to test javascript settings...?

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 19, 2009 06:56PM

Check also in: Help > about : plugin whether the plugin is detected.

If no:

Put plugin into ./K-Meleon/plugins

If Yes:

Menu items: Edit > Manage Profiles > Create a new Profile.

Explanation: It gives You a new profile with default settings.

Flash must work in this Profile if the browser is not brocken.

If NO: reinstall browser and do the install with profile.ini like siria that makes that no old profile data interfere with new ones.

For transfering data to new Profiles read FAQs or search Forum.
Keywords like lost bookmarks etc.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.