Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
gklayout error
Posted by: Joe
Date: January 06, 2010 07:05PM

I am getting a gklayout error. I am using version 1.5.3 with XP Pro w/SP3. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gklayout error
Posted by: Doon
Date: January 06, 2010 07:30PM

I've written previously: "I can visit http://news.com ( or anywhere on CNET ) and reliably crash K-Meleon (1.5.3) about once in every dozen page views anywhere on the site. I have found no common cause in the crashes but I suspect it could be ad related due the intermittant nature. It's always "K-MELEONW9X caused an invalid page fault in module GKLAYOUT.DLL". It doesn't seem to matter what is enabled or disabled."

Nothing I've tried has prevented the site from crashing on my PC, including trying different 'user agent' settings.

The problem with K-meleon crashing is that the cache gets destroyed, but there's a fix for that discussed HERE.

Beyond that I can't help you, but if you could be more specific about when the browser is crashing, and perhaps at what site, it would be helpful for the sake of investigation.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 06, 2010 07:45PM

gklayout... hmm.... there was something with it a while ago, just can't remember details... But I've stored two more versions, one from the unofficial update to 1.8.1.23, and another the same version but with SVG-images disabled, guess a special build from someone around here IIRC...
SVG IS buggy!

But it seems to me you've been around there already Doon?
Anyway, perhaps it helps Joe or anyone else, first I'd try the unofficial update to 1.8.1.23.
And disabling SVG in the prefs: type about:config and filter for svg to find it.
If there are still errors, perhaps try an alternative gklayout, I would attach the two in my current KM, but there's no attach function in this part of the forum, sorry ;-)

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 06, 2010 10:15PM

If you have an Unofficial update to Gecko 1.8.1.23 with problems you can download fixed here: http://kmext.sourceforge.net/updater.htm

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 06, 2010 10:25PM

Joe we need an URL. There are several updates to the GRE available.
It sometimes helps to clear the cache.

siria, 1.5.3 with XP Pro w/SP3 is no updated k-meleon version.
There are also AFAIRemember problems with some XP update stages.

As for that ill GRE update You mention - desga2 found a fault in my build scripts (.mozconfig). AFAIK around here I am the only one that currently builds updated inofficial GREs with free toolz himself. So just say it was my fault grinning smiley

p.s. Das jetzige GRE Update vom Original-SeaMonkey hat übrigens bei mir Macken. Ich habe mir einfach solange welche gebaut, bis ich zufrieden war.

& Ich habe mir zu Weihnachten Visual c++ Standard für 45 Teuro geschenkt, kann eine GRE jetzt so bauen, wie es offiziel gemacht wird. smiling smiley

Posted by: Doon
Date: January 07, 2010 08:35AM

Siria, guenter's Gecko Rendering Engine updates did nothing to fix my problems**, but they may well help others. Disabling SVG didn't help either. Disabling anything and everything that can be disabled didn't help either, nor have fresh profiles or new installations. I must say that I've never tried any other K-Meleon builds, just the official (1.5.3 only, ever), with the unofficial updates. I expect that my problems are unique to my OS (Win98) in it's current state, and I have no expectation of resolving these problems with the current build.

** My other main problem being the screen freeze caused by funky site icons. I have personally found six sites that freeze my screen, the funniest one of all being the K-Meleon site with the coolest, most geckotastic logo: http://kmeleon.geckoworld.ru

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 07, 2010 09:44AM

One of the GREs I compiled with free toolz had bugs that caused crashes on siria's 98 machine. She ment that I think smiling smiley

Future updates can be done with Visual c++ Standard and Dorians's original .mozconfig - all is slowly improving, I hope.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.