Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Web search - results in same window
Posted by: Linus
Date: October 05, 2014 10:56PM

When I do a web search from the address bar, how do I make the result show in the same window instead of in a new window?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Web search - results in same window
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 06, 2014 06:03AM

Linus
When I do a web search from the address bar, how do I make the result show in the same window instead of in a new window?

F2 Browsing.

There is a choice menu: Open (several among them typed text)
Undeneeth clickable choices :

You want in the: Current Tab. Google translation -> nuvarande Tab

That will be the current Window also, if You use no tabs.

IMHO (I found) translation of current is "närvarande", "ström" or "aktuella".

German K-Meleon "Im aktuellen Tab" Google says "i den aktuella fliken".

Greetings from Hannover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2014 06:19AM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 06, 2014 08:14AM

F2 > Typed URLs > in the current tab
(same just shorter ;-)

Date: October 06, 2014 11:01PM

siria
F2 > Typed URLs > in the current tab
(same just shorter ;-)

Bitte in Schwedisch. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: October 06, 2014 11:03PM

Why? The scandinavians speak better english than us both together, because they can learn it by watching english TV only with subtitles tongue sticking out smiley

Date: October 07, 2014 03:35AM

siria
Why? The scandinavians speak better english than us both together, because they can learn it by watching english TV only with subtitles tongue sticking out smiley

All here speak English well. But if a word is repeated in the own language it is remembered longer. IMHO. I started to learn English when I was 10 and studied it later at university level for teaching it at school so I am the best example of how much You forget when You do not need something often anymore.

p.s. Wrong. Skandinavian bairns cannot read subtiteles even if they learn to speak English via TV cartoons. No matter whether subtiteles are shown for adults to read. :O

I started to learn English when ten YO and speak as badly as You say.grinning smiley

That You can speak better does not mean that You presently remember all English words for "aktuell". I definitely do not know all my English words anymore. So I thought that happens to others also. :O Not to You?

p.s. Im Alter des Spracherwerbs können auch Skandinavier nicht lesen. Du hast die Pisa Studie nicht richtig verarbeitet. Youtube gibt es hier auch - mein Enkel erzählt Denglish. :s

Davon kann er aber die Browsermenüs nicht lesen. Sprechen ist nicht gleich Lesen.grinning smiley

Besser heißt nicht, dass man alle englischen Worte für "aktuell" parat hat. Ich habe mit zehn angefangen und auch alles vergessen, was man daran merkt, dass du schreibst, dass ich es nicht mehr kann. tongue sticking out smiley

Es ist einfach so, dass man die Hälfte von allem vergißt und wiederholen muss.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 05:08AM by guenter.

Date: October 07, 2014 07:37AM

When someone posts in perfect english and obviously expects an english answer there is no reason to assume he doesn't know the most basic words like "current".

And are you sure he's using a swedish K-Meleon 74 translation??
What does it help him to know the name of a checkbox in his own language when the browser GUI displays it in another?
And most likely english anyway?

The point is not if you are 100% perfect or only 99%, it's just completely unlogical that finding a checkbox should be easier in another language than the browser displays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 09:50AM by siria.

Date: October 07, 2014 10:04AM

There are several English words that mean aktuell. And current means so many things that You IMHO can easily associate the term current tab with something else at first glance.

If You find it at all in the many preferences. That I tried to translate to Swedish can IMHO help with remembering both location and word. Maybe?

p.s. There was no Swedish K-Meleon version in the last 11 years. None that I know.
There was a Finish version before 0.9. That IMHO was the last Skandinavian version. IMHO You know as well.

siria, was tust du schon im Forum sprich? Postest du, verstehtst du mich?

Ich bin mal vor vielen Jahren zum Sprachlehrer ausgebildet worden. Dass ich es auswalze, hat mit dem Gedächtnis zu tun. Entweder man kann an etwas anknüpfen. Das habe ich versucht. Darum war der Post so.

Oder man versucht die Aufmerksamkeit etwas länger zu halten. Ideal anfangs ca. 2 Sekunden. Schaffen wir hier nur, wenn du auch postest.tongue sticking out smiley

Man sollte/müsste Worte etwa alle 2^n Sekunden wiederholen. Zumindest bei ganz neu Gelernten ohne Anknüfungspunkt. War damals die Lehrmeinung. Ob das noch aktuell ist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 10:05AM by guenter.

Date: October 09, 2014 02:43AM

Thanks for the Swedish translation, but I have all programs, even Windows, in English. grinning smiley

I have that option checked. But I realized later the problem only happens sometimes. I think it's an old bug that I had forgotten about. It *may* happen when there's text copied to the clipboard. Naturally I can't reproduce it now... The old version of k-mel also spawned new unwanted windows now and then, but I've forgotten the exact circomstances.

Date: October 09, 2014 02:53AM

BTW I think it's good there is no Swedish version. I've never understood why intergrinning smileyfaces should be translated. Help files - sure, by all means.

I haven't had Windows in Swedish since win 95. That is for two reasons. The first one is more personal. Any computer related communications I'm likely to take part in is in English. So much easier for me if I don't have to look up what things are called, right? The second reason is that I like to use at least some keayboard shortcuts and even today some programs will use English only menus and back in the day most of them did, so why would anyone want to learn two sets of commands and on top of that keep track of if they are using an Enlish or Swedish speaking progam at the moment?

File = Arkiv. ALT + F or ALT + A? It's just a bother!

</rant> grinning smiley

Posted by: torbetron
Date: November 16, 2014 03:42PM

Hi, I'm using KM 74 Release on XP SP3 machine, and in previous versions when I use search button for something typed in URL bar, it would display it in the same tab, but now, even with the box checked "in the current tab", it opens a new tab.
The only exception to this is if the current tab is about:blank (blank page), then it uses the current tab.

I couldn't find anywhere in the Preferences how to change this behavior. Hopefully someone knows, because I miss the old behavior of opening up in same tab. Thank-you!

Date: November 16, 2014 05:44PM

F2 > Browsing > Finding Websites > Search Button
Hope that's right, only looked it up in my current KM1.6, and never noticed that tab before ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 05:46PM by siria.

Date: November 16, 2014 05:55PM

@torbetron, it may be our machines so I wait ... until I decide.

@siria, IMHO torbetron found a 74 bug. My XP SP 3 does the same.
Though I newer use this setting.

I may relocate when we have more feedback from other users.

p.s. @torbetron I am afraid XP is past its livetime - so i may...

Anyhow I have most things to open in the back. While I continue to read or open more.

Most browsers only offer things that make sence to the majority.
While it is offered km.org should look to that it is supported.

But maybe not on all systems?

greetings to Sverige

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 06:38PM by guenter.

Date: November 16, 2014 06:51PM

Don't you all jump so quickly now to blame everything on the system if something doesn't work immediately on XP or Linux now. Speaking from experience - 90% of the things that didn't work right away in 98 and people just kept telling "must be your system" turned out after a bit more research to have nothing to do with the system, but really some browser or macro bug.
And this question whether a page is opened in new or current tab definitely doesn't smell like a system thing.

Have you really made sure that in F2 > Browsing "Typed URLs" is set to "current tab"?
Do Typed URLs really open in current tab?
Then typed URL-Bar searches should too when hitting the search button or Return-Key.
Unless there is some text selected on the page, then this has priority and gets opened with the setting for "Selected Text".
Also checked the pref in "Finding Websites" > Search Button?
(Not sure what that's for exactly, probably when FIRST hitting the button and then typing into the popup?)
Checked the command on the search button in the skin?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 07:13PM by siria.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 16, 2014 08:52PM

I see the same open method when using Win 7. I think the method comes from this pref.
kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl

On my system the pref is default, string, "opentab".

I did a modify and changed the value to "open". Now my searches open in the original tab.

Just for information, that pref's name does not appear in search.kmm nor do I have any knowledge of a selection method in Preferences panel.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 16, 2014 08:56PM

Hi, Siria

It seems there is a few bugs with the way to open pages, search, ...

I confirm the bug signaled by torbetron. It's impossible to open a search in the same tab.

Search button call macro(Search)
after, it's really an 'usine à gaz' ... really very complex ...

A little different problem, but always about the way used to open.
It concerns KMAbout. In kmprefs, we have a param which allows to open in new tab instead of new window.
This parameter doesn't work with main.kmm, and works with the modified version I upload on the other thread. The version I use also allows to open about:kmeleon in a tab.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: November 16, 2014 08:58PM

In KM1.6 that is the pref that's changed with the method I posted at 18:44.
Does KM74 have that pref tab too? If yes, does it work?

Oops, posted at same time, my reply was to James yet..

Alain, that main-kmm thing that you keep mentioning, really doesn't change from "open window" into "open tab". It merely uses a new pref, and then decides if a few certain commands for the helpmenu open in "same tab" or "new tab". But that really only works because those certain macros do ask for that pref inside.
I really don't see how the search macro, which is defined in another kmm, could possibly have something to do with that pref, since the macros in it do not ask for it??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 09:04PM by siria.

Date: November 16, 2014 09:30PM

@ siria

In KM 7431 I don't find the item that you noted in the Preferences.

Am researching more now.

Edit:

The tab "Search Button" which was in 1.6 is not in KM 7431.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 09:34PM by JamesD.

Date: November 16, 2014 10:02PM

Thanks.
That much again for immediately jumping to "system fault" as soon as something doesn't work at first try :cool:

Perhaps that pref tab was one of desgas improvements that Dorian had lost when building KM74 based on an older version...?
Although it's strange, because the "search" macro uses "OpenURL_Typed" acc. its kmm...

Torbetron:
if you haven't noticed already, try if it helps what James did:
type "about:config" into the URL bar, type "searchtyped" into the filter line, right-click to change "opentab" into "open"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 10:05PM by siria.

Date: November 16, 2014 10:19PM

I hope this can help until the kmprefs can be fixed.

Search_out.kmm

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)

# 		Search_out.kmm
#               Change output for tab button
# Dependencies	: main.kmm, search.kmm 
# Resources	: -
# Preferences	: "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl"
# Version	: 1.0   2014_11_16
# Author	: JamesD 
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search_out_open {
menuchecked = getpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl")== "open"; 
macroinfo = _("Open the results in this tab/window.");
setpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl", "open");
}
Search_out_opentab {
menuchecked = getpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl")== "opentab"; 
macroinfo = _("Open the results in a new tab.");
setpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl", "opentab");
}
Search_out_opennew {
menuchecked = getpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl")== "opennew"; 
macroinfo = _("Open the results in a new window.");
setpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl", "opennew");
}
Search_out_openbg {
menuchecked = getpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl")== "openbg"; 
macroinfo = _("Open the results in a new background window.");
setpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl", "openbg");
}
Search_out_openbgtab {
menuchecked = getpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl")== "openbgtab"; 
macroinfo = _("Open the results in a new background tab.");
setpref(STRING, "kmeleon.plugins.macros.searchtyped.openurl", "openbgtab");
}
_Search_out_BuildMenu {
setmenu("&Web Search", popup, "Search Button Output",  -1);
setmenu("Search Button Output", macro, "Current tab/window", Search_out_open, 0);
setmenu("Search Button Output", macro, "New tab", Search_out_opentab, 1);
setmenu("Search Button Output", macro, "New Window", Search_out_opennew, 2);
setmenu("Search Button Output", macro, "New background window", Search_out_openbg, 3);
setmenu("Search Button Output", macro, "New background tab", Search_out_openbgtab, 4);
}

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$OnInit=$OnInit."_Search_out_BuildMenu;";
$macroModules=$macroModules . "Search_out;";

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 10:22PM by JamesD.

Posted by: torbetron
Date: November 17, 2014 04:05AM

Thank-you all for your helpful responses. I did the change from opentab to open and that did the trick!

Date: November 17, 2014 04:47AM

siria
Don't you all jump so quickly now to blame everything on the system if something doesn't work immediately on XP or Linux now.

Then tell me why 74's spell checking does not work on my system. XP SP 3.

guenter
@torbetron, it may be our machines so I wait ... until I decide.

snipp...

I may relocate when we have more feedback from other users.

Maybe read my posts better. I merely indicated the possibility.

Anyway. I move this to bugs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2014 04:53AM by guenter.

Date: November 17, 2014 08:07AM

Siria
I really don't see how the search macro, which is defined in another kmm, could possibly have something to do with that pref, since the macros in it do not ask for it??
Have I said that ?

I just said that the bug concerning KMAbout looks like the search problem, and that the modified main.kmm solves the problem for KMAbout.

You seem to give the good reason, that Dorian has used 1.54 as base instead of 1.60, and the improvments made by desga have been lost ...

But don't say I have said such nonsense ...

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Date: November 17, 2014 09:10AM

JujuLand
You seem to give the good reason, that Dorian has used 1.54 as base instead of 1.60, and the improvments made by desga have been lost ...

Uh?? You are writing yourself that a main.kmm that contains desgas modifications SOLVES a problem, which means his main.kmm must be BETTER than the old one - and then you draw the conclusion that this would prove it's a good thing his improvements were dropped again? This is a very strange logic...

Date: November 17, 2014 10:29AM

siria

JujuLand

Uh?? You are writing yourself that a main.kmm that contains desgas modifications SOLVES a problem, which means his main.kmm must be BETTER than the old one - and then you draw the conclusion that this would prove it's a good thing his improvements were dropped again? This is a very strange logic...

Yes, I said that the version I used, which is containing modifications made by desga2 solves A problem, in this case, the KMAbout problem.

Have I said that dropping this improvments is a good thing ?
Is my english so bad that you can't understand what I said ?

For search problem, I must say that I don't know the reason, and add that I just kept the functions for KMAbout which are at the end of 1.60 version, so I'm not able to say if this version could solve the problem.

A+

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2014 10:31AM by JujuLand.

Posted by: steven
Date: December 04, 2014 09:32PM

Hw do u do it I will like to know please. Send me so scope ..

Date: December 05, 2014 12:49PM

Here is the modified main.kmm.

Be carefull, as it's the 74's version, not the 75 one, and I don't know if there are modifications elsewhere. Have a look to the end of the file from line 787 to 818

A+

Attachments: main.kmm (33.8 KB)  
Date: December 05, 2014 06:52PM

If you don't want to modify your main.kmm then this should help.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,129936,130931#msg-130931

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.