Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Website icons not showing
Posted by: bellgamin
Date: October 08, 2014 04:26AM

I'm using the final release version 74.0. Grrreat!!

Only issue I have is that the website icons all show that green gear-looking thingie. E.g., the Amazon site shows the green gear thingie & not the Amazon icon.

I did the following in an attempt to correct this problem: Preferences > GUI appearance > Display website icons (check) > In the title bar (check). Then I restarted Kmel -- no change.

Oddly enough, the only website that shows its OWN icon is K-mel's forum (right here). It correctly shows the friendly gecko icon. All other websites, however, display only the little green gear thingie.

Can I fix this so that website tabs display their true icon? Or not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Website icons not showing
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 08, 2014 02:47PM

The problem is that it isn't exactly a bug.

The other day I found it, but I don't remeber what exactly was involved (fish memory).

Anyway, why I said it isn't exactly a bug? because probably you have seen the icons in other browsers and those browsers aren't playing fair.

Amazon, the example you gave, hasn't a meta favicon descriptor in the html. In other words, isn't telling the browser client to download a favicon.

Why is then shown in other browsers?, because those browsers search for the favicon even if it hasn't been set, because they know the default location. This is http://whatever/[/b]favicon.ico[/b]

As I said I found it the other day and now I can't find what preference, if it was someone, was related to that feature.

But it is not a bug, is browser working wild, without obeying the html.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2014 02:48PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 08, 2014 03:01PM

Playing and playing, as it needs a restart... it is this:

browser.chrome.favicons

That preference is set as false by default in K-meleon (playing fair).

If you want to go other browsers path (not playing fair) set it to true.

Why I insist in playing fair? Imaging a web developer that removed the favicon for any reason from the html code but didn't remove the icon file from the server. Why should a browser retrieve an element that has been hidden for a reason?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2014 03:01PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 08, 2014 08:01PM

Frankly I don't care how it works, as long as it works ;-)
But just stumbled accidentally in 74.0 about this pref, sounds like it could have something to do with icons too, but no idea? Be default it seems true.
browser.chrome.site_icons

Date: October 08, 2014 08:17PM

JohnHell
Playing and playing, as it needs a restart... it is this:

browser.chrome.favicons

That preference is set as false by default in K-meleon (playing fair).

If you want to go other browsers path (not playing fair) set it to true.
True worked! Truly it did. (^_^) Thanks a lot!!!

Date: October 08, 2014 10:02PM

siria
Frankly I don't care how it works, as long as it works ;-)

If you don't care about breaking the web winking smiley

Or webmasters not doing its job because browser does for them. And then we blame them for other things as don't recognize K-meleon...

I don't like things doing what shouldn't do because in absence of favicon (in this case), let's use the backdoor :/

The case of Amazon is exactly this: a lazy webmasters that doesn't set the favicon, but then comes the browser to show it.

I imagine the web developers of Amazon testing with browsers and finding out that all was working, even when they didn't set it. They probably didn't notice it, as Firefox, or other browsers, was doing in behalf of their bad coding. Who we blame here, the web developer for not doing his job, or the browser for doing what shouldn't do?

Then someone comes (I'm not blaming you bellgamin) with K-meleon, or another browser, "following the rules" and we complain "oh, no, K-meleon doesn't show favicons" when actually has been that a lazy web developer didn't do his job and broke the web.

The break of the web is a common reference nowdays for these cases where a lack of efforts and automation of process creates incompatibilites for future or backwards compatiblity for those who follow the rules.

This path we are following makes me sad sad smiley

Date: October 10, 2014 09:12AM

JohnHell
The case of Amazon is exactly this: a lazy webmasters that doesn't set the favicon, but then comes the browser to show it.
It's not just Amazon. Hardly any of the sites I visit don't show favicons without the fix you provided.

Lack of favicons on tab labels makes it difficult to discern the identity of each tab when I open a lot of them. For me, therefore, a favicon isn't just another pretty face. It's a key factor for efficiency in the way I surf.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2014 09:13AM by bellgamin.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 10, 2014 11:34AM

bellgamin
Lack of favicons on tab labels makes it difficult to discern the identity of each tab when I open a lot of them. For me, therefore, a favicon isn't just another pretty face. It's a key factor for efficiency in the way I surf.

You can use F2 Preferences to change the minimum width of each tab. Look in Browsing - Tabbed Browsing - Tab Bar for place to change the width.

Also in the KM 74 Gecko 31 version the tab bar can be multiline.

Date: October 10, 2014 02:00PM

bellgamin
JohnHell
It's not just Amazon. Hardly any of the sites I visit don't show favicons without the fix you provided.

Yes, that is what is sad. There are a lot of sites like Amazon that lack of the favicon link in the html code.

When I use Firefox 31 to browse I see a lot of favicons that aren't shown by K-meleon by this single preference setting :/

I understand your point, anyway winking smiley

I was ranting winking smiley

Date: October 11, 2014 04:59AM

JohnHell
When I use Firefox 31 to browse I see a lot of favicons that aren't shown by K-meleon by this single preference setting
Eeek! :O A user of FF got loose in these hallowed halls. Call the exterminator!

Only kidding, of course. I use FF once in a while when I want to do penance for my sins. It's a few inches slower than Kmel.

The only browser I have found to be a teeny-weeny nanosecond faster than Kmel is QtWeb. But Kmels' helpful/friendly forum is matchless, whether by QtWeb or any other browser that I know of.

Posted by: Slickone
Date: January 20, 2016 11:27PM

I know this is an older topic, but I've had this problem since first using K-meleon a couple years ago, and still do. But my browser.chrome.favicons is already set to true. Is there any other fix?

Date: January 20, 2016 11:42PM

You mentioned something about history problems, that's probably the reason...

Date: January 21, 2016 12:55AM

And still, if it is the beta, report back to its thread.

Have in mind that that thread is read by Dorian, the main developer.

Here, there are chances to be read, but not as in its thread. That thread is for beta testing and report back. Remember that.

So any problem you may have with version 76 (to date beta 3, don't report previous versions), don't waste the time in other threads, go directly to that one.

I'm not trying to be rude, but that is how it works. If you beta test you have a path to follow. Then, others will test it (remember to post the procedure) and it will be confirmed, or not, as a bug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 12:56AM by JohnHell.

Date: January 21, 2016 02:04AM

Okay. This thread was already here describing the problem, keeping me from having to, and it's a problem I've had with every/many versions I've ever used. Seems like it would just clutter up the beta 3 thread.

Date: January 21, 2016 05:05PM

If it was happening with other versions too, might be a corrupted places.sqlite. Did you carry this file along versions?

Go here and install this extension/macro:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/km74/sqlitemanager-km74.7z

It is a sqlite database manager that will open those used by gecko. In the file menu inside the add-on there is an option to check the integrity of a database. So, open places.sqlite and check it.

Zero3k was having similar problems in the past and he had a very corrupted places.sqlite, doing strange things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 05:07PM by JohnHell.

Date: January 22, 2016 03:59AM

Integrity check is good.

BTW, before the sqlite manager would run, it made me enable frame support. Should I disable it again (and how)?

Date: January 23, 2016 12:23AM

At this time you may already know, but for the record:

Preferences panel > Page display > Frames tick

Date: January 23, 2016 01:12AM

(guess it's also in the Tools>Privacy menu, or right-click a PrivBar button)

Have you tried if your history starts working again after renaming/deleting the old places.sqlite?
Or would it work in a new (additional) profile? (Edit>Manage Profiles>Ask at startup)

Date: January 23, 2016 07:21AM

JohnHell
At this time you may already know, but for the record:

Preferences panel > Page display > Frames tick
Why enable or disable it?

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 23, 2016 02:06PM

Slickone
Why enable or disable it?

iFrames can be misused as mostly everything else. You can find more details about how, on the Internet.

As far as I can see instead of improving it, the makers of Firefox have removed the option to block Frames in "about:config" - what's good for the advertising industry and scammers must be good for the user too.

Date: January 29, 2016 04:19PM

Does no one else have problems with favicons after setting browser.chrome.favicons to true?

Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 29, 2016 11:58PM

Some sites don't show favicons even this way.

Some time I also see the favicon sized-down to very small square like this:

(red details are my comments not favicon parts!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 12:00AM by rodocop.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 30, 2016 07:08AM

Slickone
Does no one else have problems with favicons after setting browser.chrome.favicons to true?

Yes I. But I also know some HTML and that many sites have those icons at a non HTML standard place. Since favicons in K-Meleon history and bookmarks for me work mostly - I make the guess that only those at standard places are shown and searching non standard places is not implemented.

That is good enough for me.

p.s. I have a feeble notion that the info above was mentioned already in a bygone discussion about favicon support.

As it is the favicon support is better now than it once was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 07:13AM by guenter.

Posted by: burp
Date: January 30, 2016 04:01PM

here is 75.0 the last version where favicons work in IE and NS style, but not in history (and the sqldatabase is fine)
>75.0 i have history icons but no fav icons in both IE/NS

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.