Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
pre-loader causes loss of focus (W2K)
Posted by: gordon451
Date: February 24, 2011 07:52AM

Hi -

Again, dunno if it's a bug or somthing I can work around or fix. Actually, I've "fixed around" it...

With the preloader active, the browser window would come on screen, then jiggle slightly and flash the task-bar tab at me asking for attention. Even if KM is the only app running, it does this. The browser window has no focus at this stage, you cannot work with it until you Alt-Tab it or click somewhere in it.

My "fix-around" is to disable the pre-loader -- yes KM takes a little longer to load, but when it does appear it is focused, ready for action!

Just a thought: does the pre-loader actually let go once the browser is loaded?

Gordon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pre-loader causes loss of focus (W2K)
Posted by: caktus
Date: February 24, 2011 03:26PM

gordon451
Hi -

Again, dunno if it's a bug or somthing I can work around or fix. Actually, I've "fixed around" it...

With the preloader active, the browser window would come on screen, then jiggle slightly and flash the task-bar tab at me asking for attention. Even if KM is the only app running, it does this. The browser window has no focus at this stage, you cannot work with it until you Alt-Tab it or click somewhere in it.

My "fix-around" is to disable the pre-loader -- yes KM takes a little longer to load, but when it does appear it is focused, ready for action!

Just a thought: does the pre-loader actually let go once the browser is loaded?

Regarding the jiggling, the monitor may have built up a static magnetic field, this may mean the monitor needs to be Degaused. If this is the case, open the monitors settings and click on Degause. Depending on the model of the monitor, the settings options may differ than as I describe. I don't know if such options are available or necessary on flat monitors.

Hope this is helpful.

Gordon.

Hi, Gordon.

I'm not sure I understand the question about the Loader. The Loader just keeps some of KM's files in memory so the browser will open fast, but once the browser is loaded I believe the same instance of these files remain loaded.

Regarding the jiggling, it may simply be that the monitor has built up a static magnetic field that need to be discharged. To do this, open the monitor settings and click on Degauss. Depending on the monitor you are using the monitor settings maybe accessed differently, on one of my monitors these settings are accessed from the control panel and on another monitor the settings are accessed from buttons on the front of the monitor. I don't know if these settings are available or necessary on flat monitors.

I hope this is helpful.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: February 26, 2011 03:01AM

Hi Charlie -

No, the jiggling is not a Gauss thing. It only happens when the preloader brings the browser window up. Gaussing almost always appears as the monitor is powered up, and stays visible. And besides, mine's a flatscreen...

Since the preloader doesn't seem to make more than about 50msec difference in startup time, even though I regard it as a bug I'll just live with my "fix-around". (It may well be some interaction with the W2K GUI sad smiley )

Gordon.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 12, 2011 09:44PM

Preloader is an old tool and don't have been updated since a lot of time.
Really not increase the load time a lot of, currently is more used to have KM in the system tray bar.

If I understand you fine, you said that when you open KM from system tray with KM preloader KM window is loaded and showed but don't have the focus. Is this correct?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 09:45PM by desga2.

Date: April 09, 2011 09:21AM

Hi desga2 -

Sorry for not getting back for so long, I hadn't noticed the thread was still alive...

If I understand you fine, you said that when you open KM from system tray with KM preloader KM window is loaded and showed but don't have the focus. Is this correct?

Ummm... No. It happens when I start from QuickLaunch and KM preloader is loaded. I have never tried from System Tray.

I will try from System Tray now. A few minutes please...

{edit}
It also happens when I start from System Tray, clicking on the K-M icon.
{end edit}

Gordon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 09:26AM by gordon451.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.