Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Placement of images in Wikipedia
Posted by: gordon451
Date: April 15, 2011 07:07AM

Hi -

I know it's a bit late for a bug-report in 1.5.4, but anyway:

If you suss out

you'll see how images in Wikipedia are very often misplaced downward from their intended location. I can almost always fix this by right-clicking which repositions the image, as in

However, I came across this:

I cannot find a work-around for this, and it's &$^*% annoying :mad:

IS there any help or fix on the horizon? (It is almost certainly at the Wikipedia end, as I have never seen this on any other site.)

I'm going to edit these pics down in size... I thought I would get a URL instead... :s {edit done}

Gordon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 07:14AM by gordon451.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Placement of images in Wikipedia
Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 15, 2011 11:50AM

Have you tried the site using KM 1.6.0 beta2? The display engine is more up to date in 1.6.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 15, 2011 06:29PM

It is only English Wikipedia that is affected. So why worry. tongue sticking out smiley
German Wikipedia is not affected so... ¬_¬

I do not know whether it is a GRE or Wikipedia bug.

I checked with a Firefox 2 that has the same engine as K-Meleon 1.5.4.
It seems to a problem of all browsers with that Gecko version.
Pics move slightly and reposition when You click on them.

I placed a Firefox2 at http://dhost.info/kmeleonskins/ so You can look.

If another Firefox version is installed on Your system just rename this versions exe to firefox2.0.0.22.exe before You start it. This avoids that the newest Firefox is started instead of the version You started. BTW. I consider this habbit a bug. Until I found a way around it - it really made me mad.

Before K-Meleon 1.5.4 K-Meleon devs had the policy that they did not fix bugs in the GRE. The bugs were listed but not fixed by K-Meleon devs.

This policy has changed with 1.6.bx when Dorian patched the Gecko engine to work better with an mfcembed application named K-Meleon.:cool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 06:31PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 15, 2011 07:38PM

Have an example link?
Can't reproduce it, and can't remember having had that prob on Wikipedia...
Now that you say it, guess I saw that Occasionally on other sites, but it never 'clicked' to examine it closer, never realized some system behind it, always just thought "stupid layout" and either temporarily disabled the css to read the covered text (there's some very handy macro somewhere, was it "styles"? That trick also unhides javascript popup stuff), or just highlighted the chapter and pasted it in a notepad. Or most of the time just shrugged and moved on ;-)

Date: April 15, 2011 08:05PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Staffordshire_Terrier

Bild: Champion Kirby of Indiana - da zuppelt es deutlich bei mir, kurz bevor die Vergrößerung erscheint.

Bei 1.6 ist es übrigens in Ordnung.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 08:07PM by guenter.

Date: April 15, 2011 08:29PM

Okay thanks, but - still can't find anything different from 1.6! Riddling... And that's with an almost default profile in 1.5.4 running parallel, and nearly all blocks down. Weird. Could it be a windows version bug? Kidding, LOL! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 08:33PM by siria.

Date: April 15, 2011 08:41PM

siria
Could it be a windows version bug?

Sure. it is so far confined to PPL that use XP and Win7.
Does not happen on Win98 with kernelx. Like. grinning smiley

Date: April 16, 2011 05:26AM

G'day all -

Thanks for your input.

@guenter - Ummm... No, de.wikipedia does it too sad smiley . Try Deutscher Schäferhund#Verwendung and Deutscher Schäferhund#Kritik an der Entwicklung der Rasse . But I note that these images move down a fraction when right-clicked.

@siria - follow the AmStaff link that guenter supplied. I do think this is a Wikipedia thing, probably because their markup breaks some rules. I only discovered it because the misplaced image usually covers up some text, then I played around a bit.

@JamesD - I haven't yet tried 1.6, mostly because I almost always avoid beta versions. I am waiting for the stable version though smiling smiley and I look forward to enjoying it.

Gordon

Date: April 16, 2011 10:07AM

That thing is just too crazy. And the craziest is that it differs from page to page! So I'm starting to think that it's probably just some mess created by wiki editors. For me those example images hardly move, and if anything, they are placed a bit too low (KM1.5x only). And while loading all is fine, only at the end the page injects some css that moves things around.
Funnily, on my machine, in all KM versions, if javascript is allowed, on one example page the "Bearbeiten" (=Edit) link is jumping from the right side to the left, joining the title directly. Yet on another page, the edit link stays put, but the title jumps from the left side to the middle of the line (centered)! On yet another page, nothing is jumping at all - tsss... Just can't find any systematic in it.

Nevertheless I don't manage to find any page where an image "covers" anything. For example on the Charlie Chaplin page, there are also images that are positioned in the middle of a chapter, yet nothing is covered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 10:08AM by siria.

Date: April 16, 2011 10:15AM

gordon451
G'day all -

Thanks for your input.

@guenter - Ummm... No, de.wikipedia does it too sad smiley . Try Deutscher Schäferhund#Verwendung and Deutscher Schäferhund#Kritik an der Entwicklung der Rasse . But I note that these images move down a fraction when right-clicked.

@JamesD - I haven't yet tried 1.6, mostly because I almost always avoid beta versions. I am waiting for the stable version though smiling smiley and I look forward to enjoying it.

Ok. Tells You that I have had a wee Russel Terrier and looked only on the biggies sites for faults. grinning smiley

1.6.b2 is stable. Is save for users. & It does not have the CSS problems on Wikipedia.

Still has some errors but no show stoppers (no reproducible crashes if You use the chrome changes for view source Xul which most ppl do not need - that feature is for debugging html pages or chrome).

Next beta issue will be IMHO accompanied with the call for translators to start their chore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 10:17AM by guenter.

Date: April 16, 2011 12:02PM

Thanks guenter - I think I will download the next beta.

In the meantime I guess we can accept that this really is a case of strange markup breaking an older GRE. Case closed smiling smiley

Gordon

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.