Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
View Cookies Causes Crash
Posted by: gordon451
Date: August 23, 2011 06:29AM

I need to view a cookie, but Tools>Privacy>View Data>View Cookies causes an instant crash with the message: "Km has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. An error log is being created"

I cannot find the error log it talks about, nothing shows up in Drwatson, and the Crashrpt.exe I just installed doesn't seem to work.

I'm using 1.6.0b2 in W2K Pro SP4 rollup 1.

HE-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-LP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummm... What info do you need?

Gordon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: View Cookies Causes Crash
Posted by: deadlock
Date: August 23, 2011 06:15PM

gordon451
I need to view a cookie, but Tools>Privacy>View Data>View Cookies causes an instant crash

What a big chance for investigation.

Option A:
Can you try to copy cookie.* to FF3.5 user settings?

Option B:
Copy cookie.* to KM 1.6 alpha.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 23, 2011 07:06PM

Aside from bugfixing, which of course is needed too, but if you very urgently need the content, perhaps an sqlite viewer helps? Was posted by JohnHell a bit ago:
http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

But perhaps it's some encoding prob with some exotic character that windows can't handle, then perhaps a viewer crashes too? No idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 07:07PM by siria.

Date: August 24, 2011 05:00AM

@deadlock - Sorry, I don't have FF at all,and only 1.6.0b2 and 1.5.4 tongue sticking out smiley I'll try out 1.5.4, which I should have done earlier.

{edit} Of course grinning smiley I should have remembered... 1.5.4 uses a text file... :s {end edit}

@siria - The internals of the cookies are not that important (yet!), but I really wanted to see who had set them.

This problem is completely reproducible: at any time, regardless of what browsing I have (or have not) done, Tools>Privacy>View Data>View Cookies will crash KM instantly.

{edit} The .sqlite extension is NOT in my registry, anywhere. There is nothing on this computer which can (apparently) open the file! Is this meant to be? {end edit}

About the Crashrpt.exe: does that need to go into my Docs&Settings, or just in the Program Files\K-meleon? Like the DrWatson, it seems not to be triggered by this crashing.

{edit} Just been playing around with Dependency Walker: KM crashes with
Exited "K-MELEON.EXE" (process 0x544) with code -1073741811 (0xC000000D).
I have the logs from two profile runs if they're helpful.{end edit}

Gordon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 12:45PM by gordon451.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 24, 2011 03:48PM

siria
Aside from bugfixing, which of course is needed too, but if you very urgently need the content, perhaps an sqlite viewer helps? Was posted by JohnHell a bit ago:
http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

But perhaps it's some encoding prob with some exotic character that windows can't handle, then perhaps a viewer crashes too? No idea.

siria,

FWIW, I just tried to reproduce this problem and voila, KM 1.6b2 crashed when I tried to read cookies using Tools/Privacy/View Data/Cookies.

Caveat: I use CookieCuller to manage cookies on my XP PRO SP3 laptop.

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 24, 2011 07:00PM

Could the view cookies problem be tied to the operating system? I have Win 7 32bit and I do not have any problem with viewing cookies. I have tried with various KM versions. ie 1.6.0 beta2, 1.6.0 a4, and 1.7.

The problem seems to have appeared on ndebord's XP PRO SP3 and gordon451's W2K Pro SP4 Rollup 1.

I will drag out my laptop and see what happens on the XP there.

Edit: I have Win XP pro SP3 and 1.6.0 beta2 on the laptop. I had no problems seeing the cookies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 07:16PM by JamesD.

Date: August 24, 2011 09:08PM

@gordon451 & @ndebord
Could one of you upload a small cookies.sqlite with that bug?
Without any private data.

Date: August 25, 2011 12:15AM

deadlock
@gordon451 & @ndebord

Where would you like it uploaded?

scratch that... Deadlock, after reading your post, I double-checked and went back to it and this time it loaded up just fine. I have no explanation why it crashed before or why it did not crash just now.

This is (as so many others have done) a slightly modified KM 1.6b2 using Guenter's earlier variation:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 12:18AM by ndebord.

Date: August 25, 2011 12:52AM

Hi deadlock -

I've parked cookies.sqlite and cookies.sqlite-journal in here.

Alas, I don't know how else to upload stuff sad smiley

cookies.sqlite-journal just turned up in my profile for no apparent reason. It didn't used to be there, and doesn't seem to do anything. KM still crashes.

Gordon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 12:50PM by gordon451.

Date: August 25, 2011 02:23AM

deadlock
@gordon451 & @ndebord

deadlock,

Round 3, I'm afraid. Tried it for the third time and KM locked up solid. Where can I upload the files for you to look at?

P.S. Figured out how. Look at Mediafire for both files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?oi56mu7907uc8

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 02:34AM by ndebord.

Date: August 25, 2011 02:38AM

JamesD
Could the view cookies problem be tied to the operating system? I have Win 7 32bit and I do not have any problem with viewing cookies. I have tried with various KM versions. ie 1.6.0 beta2, 1.6.0 a4, and 1.7.

The problem seems to have appeared on ndebord's XP PRO SP3 and gordon451's W2K Pro SP4 Rollup 1.

I will drag out my laptop and see what happens on the XP there.

Edit: I have Win XP pro SP3 and 1.6.0 beta2 on the laptop. I had no problems seeing the cookies.

JamesD,

Did you have any trouble when you tried it more than once? (See my other posts.)

N

Date: August 25, 2011 06:28AM

@gordon451
Using same config with your cookies:
KM 1.6b2 VC8 always crashes
KM 1.6b3 VC8 always crashes
KM 1.6b3 VC9 never crashes

Could be a bug or limitation in VC8,
that was removed in VC9.
I don't have VC8, but Guenter may
run some tests on this.

What I can do now is this:
Delete cookies in VC9 version
and test in VC8 KM 1.6b2.
Big file == may take days.

@ndebord
Same crashing result.
Thanks for the small file.

www.intellicast.com cookies have
an empty value in 'Expires:'.

Deleted intellicast cookies in VC9 version
and tested in VC8 KM 1.6b2 without crash.

Deleted all exept intellicast cookies in VC9 version
and tested in VC8 KM 1.6b2 with crash.

RESULT: Check for empty value needs update.
--
VC8 = Visual Studio 2005
VC9 = Visual Studio 2008

Date: August 25, 2011 07:32AM

Hi deadlock -

KM 1.6b2 VC8 always crashes
KM 1.6b3 VC8 always crashes
KM 1.6b3 VC9 never crashes

I have msvcp90 and msvcr90 and msvcm90 in WINNT\System32 -- interesting, the profiles from Dependency Walker do not show VC9, only VC8. Does this indicate KM 1.6b2 can't use VC9?

It should be a full install, since I remember running vcredist_x86_C2008SP1.exe after reinstalling W2K in May.

Gordon.

Date: August 25, 2011 08:20AM

@gordon451
K-Meleon.exe (v. 1.6b2) was built with VC8 (Visual Studio 2005).
VC8 can't link to VC9.

You can use 'SQLite Database Browser 2.0 b1.exe'
to view/import/export your cookies, as Siria mentioned.

Used it for ndboard's cookies.
The empty expiry values are not empty.
They are bigger than other date values.
Integer overflow?

Posted by: siria
Date: August 25, 2011 10:24AM

Just for buggy versions yet, wondering what happens if a user sets a max expiry date himself in F2>Privacy? Would that change the value of each already existing cookie or would it not affect the individual date?

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 25, 2011 10:56AM

K-Meleon.exe can be either compiled with VC8 else VC9 (using MSVCR80 else MSVCR90.dll).

The GRE can be compiled with either VC8 or VC9. The GREs are by default compiled with

ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc # (use mozcrt19.dll)

If the VC9 generated GRE is compiled with jemalloc, uses mozcrt19.dll, it can also run with a VC8 generated K-Meleon.exe.

It tested with a VC8 generated GRE.

K-Meleon.exes generated with VC 8 crash. It does not matter whether they are static or dynamic linked (or static linked to custom build mfc and dynamic to MSVCR80.dll = Dorian's K-Meleon.exe). Thx to Dorian's Forum posts about building and deadlock's additional how to tutoring I was able (today!) to build all 4 Exe targets with VC8. So I tested all 4 and Dorian's exe.

With Release MFC Static Unicode the debugger points to CRT debug hook, With Dynamic exe it points to MSVCR80.dll. But I have no idea whether my finding is correct since I am no developer and have no experience with debugging.

K-Meleon.exes generated with VC 9 do not crash.

Well. At least none that If build with VC9 have build has crashed with the test cookies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 11:16AM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 25, 2011 11:45AM

ndebord
Did you have any trouble when you tried it more than once? (See my other posts.)

I had no problems with multiple tries. I ran from TOOLS four time and from PREFERENCES three times all in same session. I am using 1.6.0 beta2 with the new .20 GRE. I have no idea which tool was used to compile this version. Do I need to check for certain DLLs on my system? Would it help if I looked at the dates within all my cookies?

Edit: MSVCP80.DLL and MSVCR80.DLL appear in all versions of KM on my machine. They are not in SYSTEM32.

Edit2: All cookies have valid dates except those which have "at end of session".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 12:07PM by JamesD.

Date: August 25, 2011 12:14PM

Hi everybody -

deadlock
The empty expiry values are not empty.
They are bigger than other date values.
Integer overflow?

FWIW, looking at my cookies with SqLite Browser (thanks John!), most expiry fields are 10-digit numbers. However, at least 2 are 12-digits, one was 11-digits. Following deadlock's lead, I deleted the 5 cookies with the biggest expiry fields, and fed that back to K-M: instant success!!!!! :cool:

I'll leave it to others smarter than I am, but (shhhh!) I'd say this is a bug.

Ah yes. Given my db was 2517 entries, I assume the system is robust enough to handle really large databases (5K+)? Mine was this big because I had left it at the default "Keep until time of expiration". Obviously, if webweavers are rorting the system, then we could wind up with humungous files.

@ JamesD - I don't think you will see this error with your build: too new!

Gordon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 12:26PM by gordon451.

Date: August 25, 2011 12:35PM

JamesD
I am using 1.6.0 beta2 with the new .20 GRE. I have no idea which tool was used to compile this version.

1.9.1.20preVC8.7z at dhost.info was compiled with VC8 as indicated by its name.
It is compiled with jemalloc = uses mozcrt19.dll so VC8 SP1 was used.

If You do not activate jemalloc You can roll Your own GREs with VC8/9 Expess Editions or Vista SDK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 12:46PM by guenter.

Date: August 25, 2011 03:19PM

JamesD
ndebord

I had no problems with multiple tries. I ran from TOOLS four time and from PREFERENCES three times all in same session. I am using 1.6.0 beta2 with the new .20 GRE. I have no idea which tool was used to compile this version. Do I need to check for certain DLLs on my system? Would it help if I looked at the dates within all my cookies?

Edit: MSVCP80.DLL and MSVCR80.DLL appear in all versions of KM on my machine. They are not in SYSTEM32.

Edit2: All cookies have valid dates except those which have "at end of session".

This weekend, when I'm free, I should try to update the GRE to what you are using. Still uneasy about doing that kind of thing.

N

Date: August 26, 2011 10:05PM

me
Could be a bug or limitation in VC8,
that was removed in VC9.
I don't have VC8, but Guenter may
run some tests on this.

And so he did.

It can be fixed in line 71 of Cookies.h:

replace:
if (expires>0){
with:
if ((expires>0)&&(expires<9999999999)){

KM 1.6b3 compiled with VC8 opens the dialog.
Tested with both uploaded sample files.

Date: August 27, 2011 01:10AM

Hi deadlock -

deadlock
It can be fixed in line 71 of Cookies.h

For non-devs like me, is there a download, or do we wait for the next beta/stable release?

For me, it's not a huge problem: I would never have seen it except that I needed to check the existence of a particular cookie -- normally I never bother grinning smiley I'm just happy that now there is a browser which is "the whole browser and nothing but the browser" smiling smiley

May all the devs' plates be forever filled with fresh.meat!

Gordon.

Date: August 27, 2011 08:51AM

gordon451

For non-devs like me, is there a download, or do we wait for the next beta/stable release?

We will have to wait until Dorian makes a new exe.

I cannot make stable Exes. I have no idea why and what I do wrong.
Else I'd try to post an update with the change. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 08:52AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.