Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Problem with default browser setting
Posted by: foliator
Date: February 09, 2015 05:25PM

I'm running K-Meleon version 74 on a Windows 7 netbook. Everything is just great, except for a possible bug, which, although not critical, has me puzzled:

I've set the default browser to K-Meleon through the preferences dialog, and confirmed the success of that by looking through the registry. However, if I follow a hyperlink in a local document, in a word processor, for instance, I get this error message:

"There is a problem sending the command to the program."

... or something to that effect. What's even stranger is that the error message is immediately followed by the startup of K-Meleon and its usual quick loading of the site in question. Once I've exited K-Meleon, I find that the message has been hidden by the browser window and is still on the screen; I have to dismiss it with the close button.

The exact same thing happens if I enter a URL manually in the Run dialog. Also, if I create favorites in IE9, which I seldom use anymore, the names of the favorites are all displayed with the .URL extension, which is normally not displayed. Neither behavior has ever shown up when using Firefox as my default browser.

Is K-Meleon's default browser setting incomplete, or could this be yet another Windows annoyance?

By the way, I'm logged in as administrator, if that makes any difference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem with default browser setting
Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 10, 2015 01:07PM

You can try Help > Troubleshooting > Check Program Defaults.

Date: February 11, 2015 03:45PM

JamesD
You can try Help > Troubleshooting > Check Program Defaults.

That was actually the first thing I checked. URL files, HTML files and all other items usually handled by IE, including HTTP protocol, FTP, etc. showed up as K-Meleon defaults, which was just as I expected, so I figured the problem might be K-Meleon's interpretation of the parameter being passed to it. Nevertheless, when I enter an address in the Run dialogue preceded by K-Meleon's executable, instead of just the address alone, K-Meleon comes up and loads the website without a hitch.

As for .URL files, their properties dialogue looks quite different with K-Meleon as the default. The usual options of editing the target or changing the icon are missing.

UPDATE: OK, I just tried making IE the default browser, and the problem disappeared altogether. In IE the favorites are now displayed normally, instead of including the .url extension. Sending addresses from a local link is no longer malfunctioning, and the properties dialogue for .URL files has also reverted to its normal state, with an editable URL field and a "change icon" button. This looks like a K-Meleon issue, although not a deal breaker. I still prefer K-Meleon, and will continue to use it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 04:08PM by foliator.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 11, 2015 05:45PM

Check that in the registry the %1 is between quotes: "%1". Also the path to K-meleon.

I had this problem a few weeks ago with .url files or links and, believe it or not, I can't remember if it was that. I made several tries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 05:45PM by JohnHell.

Date: February 11, 2015 09:17PM

JohnHell
Check that in the registry the %1 is between quotes: "%1". Also the path to K-meleon.
Thanks, but they check out OK. K-Meleon automatically used the correct path in its registry key. It also put the required quotes around the parameter. There are actually very few apps that don't require those quotes (Notepad is one exception). In the absence of quotes an app will typically bring up a "not found" error message displaying a truncated parameter if there are spaces in the file/path name.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: February 12, 2015 07:46PM

Did you use the installer? If so, try setting kmeleon as default, using windows control panel.

Date: February 12, 2015 11:31PM

Dorian
Did you use the installer? If so, try setting kmeleon as default, using windows control panel.
No, I installed K-Meleon manually from the portable package. The only option I can find in the control panel is "default programs", which already shows KM as the default browser. Could my choice of application folder make a difference? I always keep my portable apps away from C:\Program Files (x86), preferring to store them in a special "Apps" folder beneath C:\Users\(username)\Documents.

Date: February 23, 2015 07:23PM

Just an update to this issue: To work around the problem, I had to modify my e-mail client's configuration file by manually specifying K-Meleon as my default browser; it usually detects the default browser automatically, but was bringing up the error dialog whenever I followed a hyperlink in a message. Now it doesn't, so I decided to try that with my word processor, Jarte, where it was also happening. Fortunately, Jarte's .ini file has an item "suppress browser errors", which works.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.