Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
View memory cache = no display in 1.6.0 beta2
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 12, 2011 03:01AM

There is nothing displayed when the request to "view" the memory cache is made from PREFERENCES - CACHE in 1.6.0 beta2. Viewing disk cache does work.

Edit: I am wrong. Memory does not show if zero. No bug.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 07:21PM by JamesD.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: View memory cache = no display in 1.6.0 beta2
Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 14, 2011 08:54PM

JamesD
There is nothing displayed when the request to "view" the memory cache is made from PREFERENCES - CACHE in 1.6.0 beta2. Viewing disk cache does work.

Edit: I am wrong. Memory does not show if zero. No bug.

JamesD,

You don't use a disk cache of any kind?

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 14, 2011 09:34PM

Yes, I use both memory and disk cache. If there is nothing in memory cache, the display of cache for memory is blank. If I use KM for a while, there will be stuff show up in memory cache. If I view the cache for memory right after a KM start, it might be empty. The display being blank fooled me. I thought it was broken. It is not broken.

Disk cache device
Number of entries: 	2863
Maximum storage size: 	65536 KiB
Storage in use: 	65536 KiB
Offline cache device
Number of entries: 	0
Maximum storage size: 	512000 KiB
Storage in use: 	0 KiB

No information on memory cache.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: November 15, 2011 01:43AM

James,

Ah, I see. As K-Meleon is my main browser, I run it with a small disk cache, pointed to a ram drive. Runs faster. As for FireFox, I only run portable versions, so no disk caches at all.

N

Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 15, 2011 10:45AM

ndebord
I run it with a small disk cache, pointed to a ram drive. Runs faster.

What software are you using? I've tested just a few, maybe I missed the one I would like best.
Features I would like:
Freeware (mandatory)
Automatic mounting of the ram drive at windows start (mandatory)
Indexing disabled (would be nice)
Compression (would be nice)

Date: November 21, 2011 09:20PM

Yogi
ndebord
I run it with a small disk cache, pointed to a ram drive. Runs faster.

What software are you using? I've tested just a few, maybe I missed the one I would like best.
Features I would like:
Freeware (mandatory)
Automatic mounting of the ram drive at windows start (mandatory)
Indexing disabled (would be nice)
Compression (would be nice)

Yogi,

This is what I use.... recall talking about it here some time ago, so will search for the message.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/free-ramdisk-for-windows-vista-xp-2000-and-2003-server/

I use it with the default settings (16 megs).... Guenter, some time ago, made a convincing argument that the memory and disk caches should be the same size, so I have my memory at 8 megs and disk (ramdrive) also at 8 megs... works for me.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2011 11:24PM by ndebord.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 22, 2011 11:35PM

Thanks for the link. Minimalist and handy. No reboot just one click to register or unregister the driver. I like it.

Date: November 23, 2011 04:16AM

Yogi
Thanks for the link. Minimalist and handy. No reboot just one click to register or unregister the driver. I like it.

Yogi,

Yeah, it is minimalist... never thought about it that way, but the author wasn't interested in totally reinventing the wheel, just perfecting an existing ramdrive from MS that needed work. There's lot more to do with it than I did, as I too just ran it and accepted the default 16 Meg size.... did not want to give up to much memory to a ramdrive as I only have 768 Megs on this aging Thinkpad laptop. <weak grin>

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.