Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Site starts loading and then goes blank...
Posted by: markmf
Date: November 15, 2011 03:14AM

The site that I am not able to open is this site. Yesterday I could open this site normally by K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2, but today I could not carry it. The site starts loading and then goes blank I do not totally understand, since in other browsers such as IE is normal. Tested with K-Meleon 1.5.4 and could not open the site in question. Thanks to anyone who can help solve the problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Site starts loading and then goes blank...
Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 15, 2011 10:20AM

Only workaround I'm aware of is to disable JavaScript.

Posted by: markmf
Date: November 15, 2011 04:53PM

Right, so it works. Thank you.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 24, 2011 02:23PM

markmf
Right, so it works. Thank you.

markmf,

Something there in how the site works. It is looking probably only for newer javascript, as it opens in Firefox 8 with no problem.

N

Date: November 24, 2011 04:35PM

The site works with K-Meleon 1.7.0 alfa2 and Fred's unofficial KM-16-F3624 as well.
My hint concerns only K-Meleon 1.5.4 and 1.6.0 beta2 which IMO are the most used.
I'm using Fred's latest build for now.

So far it makes little sense wasting the limited time and resources on finalizing v1.6.0 because it would be already obsolete at the time it would become final. This is just a personal opinion so don't beat me for it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2011 04:52PM by Yogi.

Date: November 25, 2011 12:00AM

Yogi
The site works with K-Meleon 1.7.0 alfa2 and Fred's unofficial KM-16-F3624 as well.
My hint concerns only K-Meleon 1.5.4 and 1.6.0 beta2 which IMO are the most used.
I'm using Fred's latest build for now.

So far it makes little sense wasting the limited time and resources on finalizing v1.6.0 because it would be already obsolete at the time it would become final. This is just a personal opinion so don't beat me for it.

Yogi,

How about I beat the drum for your position on this? <VBG>

Couldn't agree more heartily.

It is time now only for KM 1.7 and for starting to think about how to migrate to Gecko 2.xxx down the road.

Want to start a thread on how to customize Fred's hybrid to get everything working that we possibly can?

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2011 12:02AM by ndebord.

Posted by: CJ
Date: November 25, 2011 10:35AM

ndebord
It is time now only for KM 1.7 and for starting to think about how to migrate to Gecko 2.xxx down the road.

Agreed. This is more than just a "wouldn't it be nice" thing now, I believe it's become a survival issue for K-Meleon.

It's sad to think that people looking for a new browser are downloading 1.5.4 from the official site and making a judgement of KM based on that.

Date: November 25, 2011 04:01PM

Nice to see that I'm not the only one on this subject smiling smiley

ndebord

It might be worth a try IMO :cool:

After all Dorian and the handful main contributors will have to decide what's best for K-Meleon and its small user base.

Date: November 25, 2011 04:38PM

Yogi
Nice to see that I'm not the only one on this subject smiling smiley

ndebord

It might be worth a try IMO :cool:

After all Dorian and the handful main contributors will have to decide what's best for K-Meleon and its small user base.

Yogi,

Yes, but as they have not been around recently, the rest of us natives have grown restless. December is the date I recall (vaguely) as the next time people "might" get involved in further development, but my memory is hazy on that point.

Right now, Fred's combo browser is becoming my main browser, with limitations, of course.

N

Date: November 25, 2011 04:40PM

CJ
ndebord

Agreed. This is more than just a "wouldn't it be nice" thing now, I believe it's become a survival issue for K-Meleon.

It's sad to think that people looking for a new browser are downloading 1.5.4 from the official site and making a judgement of KM based on that.

CJ,

I don't have permission or the ability to change the wording about K-Meleon 1.5.4, but if I were writing about it, I would put something to the effect that K-Meleon 1.5.4 is only good for Window 98.xxx.

N

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 01, 2011 05:02AM

Agree with you, folks!

Sadly, I'm not developer in any approach - just power user and promoter (both amateur and pro ;-).
So I can't take part in programming part of development but I can write topics, fill in sites and "infect" people by KM-story :-)

May be to open new thread in 'Development' section?

P.S. Topicstarter's link is handled properly by my KM-1.6.17db+ with 'Secure-high' option being set on.

I've load the page in 1.6 with Secure-high and then in 1.7 without this option and compared source codes - they are pretty identical.
But 'secured' page in 1.6 loads obviously and terribly faster than original in 1.7 (~3,5 sec against 24-25 sec!!!) not trying to connect with horde of third party sites but displaying the absolutely same content at the end of rendering.

So, this is just a case of extremely non-friendly site-coding and I think it's not the case to reproach KM. I would recommend not to visit such sites without script-blocking option. Site scripts don't add any useful content but are just ugly webbugs and bad advertisements.
And while blocking such scripts, KM 1.6 is fully usable there!

Date: December 01, 2011 12:49PM

I've researched this issue with Policies Manager toggling different js-restrictions on/off.

This was about setting timer.

That is working setting.
I think (after digging into page source) this is this function effect:
<script type="text/javascript">
	try {
	var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-295158-1");
	pageTracker._trackPageview();
 	pageTracker._trackPageLoadTime();	
	} catch(err) {}</script>

Speaking generally, I think using Policies may be the way to get KM-1.6 compatibility with such modern-scripted sites.
Most obvious decision is to create Policy with all JS-option boxes unchecked (image below). It doesn't affect actual content generally but effectively prevents unwanted script behavior.

It's almost same effect as 'Secure-High' option in dugbug's build but a bit more complicated (needs extension and some setting up) but the same time it's more universal and customizable in order to handle differently coded sites, if needed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 01:05PM by rodocop.

Date: December 02, 2011 11:59AM

rodocop
Speaking generally, I think using Policies may be the way to get KM-1.6 compatibility with such modern-scripted sites.

Generally speaking it is misleading to claim that you can achieve compatibility by restricting code to run.
Policy manager allows you to have more control over scripts and thus can enhance security and privacy but it can't improve compatibility. That's what rendering engines and ECMA script engines are responsible for.

I have JS disabled by default in any browser I use. As a matter of course most sites will load extremely fast since most junk gets delivered via JS and additionally the most popular attack vector for spying and delivering malware is removed.
However if a site strictly requires JS in order to work properly I only have the choice to permit scripts to run (at best I can try at least to prevent some scripts like obfuscated JS or iFrames with JS-URL from running) or to move on.

Date: December 02, 2011 04:32PM

I understand that it's not strictly correct. I agree that 1.6 loses real compatibility day by day.

I've just spoken in terms of so to say 'practical compatibility' - when it is possible to tweak something and load problem site without content losses. And that's the case!
Taking this page (and likes) js-restrictions make site compatible with current browser. This is the sense I mean.

And sure there are numerous sites where full disabling of js leads to content loss. But I'm veru pleased that Policies Manager allows fine tuning of restrictions giving me good balance between content and page functional.

This really prolongs KM lifecycle.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.