Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
cookies in IE folder
Posted by: martinw2
Date: March 06, 2015 04:54PM

I was shocked today to find a heap of cookies dumped in my IE explorer folders. I never use that browser and these can only have got there from the use of K-Meleon. Any ideas why this is happening.

This is Win XP pro v 3 with K-Meleon 7.4 I think.

Martin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cookies in IE folder
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 06, 2015 07:44PM

martinw2
I was shocked today to find a heap of cookies dumped in my IE explorer folders. I never use that browser and these can only have got there from the use of K-Meleon. Any ideas why this is happening.

This is Win XP pro v 3 with K-Meleon 7.4 I think.

Martin

Installs and such try to use IE sometimes. Check from when cookies are.

Used profile cookies.sqlite is where K-Meleon 74 keeps cookies.

Just delete the cookies You found and check what cookies are written new.

p.s. Just in case You use Skype. It also creates cookies in ./profile (Windows profile - the name varies with Your language, Win Version and setup)/username/cookies

Other Windows programs by MS may also do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 09:34AM by guenter.

Date: March 07, 2015 03:30PM

Thanks,

>Installs and such try to use IE sometimes.
No it is not that as nothing installed for months. It seems to be that some sites I go on with K-Meleon are assuming someone is using IE and dumping their cookies in the IE files. Yesterday I shedded all IE temporary internet files and I just went to a different site. After I came off that site I found the cookies were once again in the IE files. K-Meleon itself is set to delete all cache and cookies when closed so it is not storing anything in its own files.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 07, 2015 04:11PM

Krass! Rats... I mean - incredible! (again)
Thanks for info. And actually, just found a folder c:/windows/cookies now in my win98, dating from today, containing a dat-file of 32kB (!!!)

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 07, 2015 06:13PM

Sorry, but, no. I'm with guenter and I can't believe it. And it's not happening to me either.

Look it is not only that new programs installed use of the IE engine, but actual programs may use it. Some of your programs sit in the tray, or any other program you are using, is using the engine to browse and what to set cookies.

I hadn't such problems in K-meleon 74 and I don't have in K-meleon 75.

I deleted IE cookies (do it form inside the Tools of IE, not deleting the folder) after I read you yesterday and... voilà, I don't have IE cookies. All cookies that were, were there because I used IE and as I haven't used IE since then, I don't have cookies.

As simple as that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 06:14PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 07, 2015 06:22PM

siria
Krass! Rats... I mean - incredible! (again)
Thanks for info. And actually, just found a folder c:/windows/cookies now in my win98, dating from today, containing a dat-file of 32kB (!!!)

I have those cookies there when I use Skype. Names: Ca4bap6p.txt = c.msn.com/, Ca4pq309.txt = where my skype profile is, Ca5dnzb7.txt = msm.com, Cabii1bv.txt = skype.com/,Caqvobfk.txt = bing.com/, Catgfenn.txt by c.bing.com/.

The index.dat file is IMHO updated and kept in use by windows.

It even keeps names of manually deleted cookies and is present and updated on my XP dev system that has never been online! Only that all entries are NULL...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 08:04PM by guenter.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 07, 2015 11:10PM

JohnHell
Sorry, but, no. I'm with guenter and I can't believe it.

Neither do I.
Someone will have to explain me first how this magic should work.

On a side note:
There are tools which can read the content of index.dat files.
Such a tool might be useful to determine the origin of those cookies.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 08, 2015 12:31AM

I have one observation.

Some KM cache files at my XP were populating IE's 'Temporary Internet Files' folder.
Helping one russian comrade in his case we found that some KM builds (Ex.: 75b) don't keep some big files in KM profile cache folder and some (Ex.:74) do.

Than was found that there are pref
browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size
that defines max size of file stored in disk cache.

KM75b has value '4096' there that means 512k (value is treated as kilobits not kilobytes!) - all files bigger weren't written into KM-cache (and goes into IE-cache!).

Default Mozilla's value (and same for KM74) is 51200 (6400kb=6.25Mb).

Take it in account when using KM. Feel free to set your own value. '-1' should force ALL files to be cached.

Also there are similar pref for RAM cache:
browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size

Difference is that "Items larger than 90% of browser.cache.memory.capacity are never cached." (c) Read full article about Mozilla networking preferences to know more...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 12:32AM by rodocop.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 08, 2015 02:09AM

rodocop
I have one observation.

Some KM cache files at my XP were populating IE's 'Temporary Internet Files' folder.
Helping one russian comrade in his case we found that some KM builds (Ex.: 75b) don't keep some big files in KM profile cache folder and some (Ex.:74) do.

Than was found that there are pref
browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size
that defines max size of file stored in disk cache.

KM75b has value '4096' there that means 512k (value is treated as kilobits not kilobytes!) - all files bigger weren't written into KM-cache (and goes into IE-cache!).

Default Mozilla's value (and same for KM74) is 51200 (6400kb=6.25Mb).

Take it in account when using KM. Feel free to set your own value. '-1' should force ALL files to be cached.

Also there are similar pref for RAM cache:
browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size

Difference is that "Items larger than 90% of browser.cache.memory.capacity are never cached." (c) Read full article about Mozilla networking preferences to know more...

First a correction, 4096kbit is 500KB, not 512KB winking smiley Also 51200kbit is 6250KB and 6.10MB winking smiley

After that, then, my K-meleon installs should be broken, because I have larger files in disk cache and memory cache. Go to about:cache and check.

In fact, I have a GIF from this afternoon of 1.00 MB (1.052.034 bytes).

Something doesn't match in that theory.

Also, the K-meleon default value for browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size is 4096.
pref("browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size", 4096);
This is the line directly copied from kmeleon.js of K-meleon 74.

EDIT: a little further.

I have 6 files over 500KB:
1325886 bytes 1294,810547 KB
1052034 bytes 1027,376953 KB
678911 bytes 662,9990234 KB
563052 bytes 549,8554688 KB
557509 bytes 544,4423828 KB

I checked in IE cache files and I don't have created or modified files beyond past month :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 02:25AM by JohnHell.

Date: March 09, 2015 11:32AM

I do not use skype nor IE. I have very few programs auto running but have noticed that avira antivirus seems to be putting a line or two in the IE cookies folder. I keep deleting the IE temp internet files and the problem of cookies is repeating. I am in the middle of setting up on a Win 7 computer and will try version 5 beta on that to see if the same problem crops up.

Martin

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.