Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Bookmarks toolbar
Posted by: Jack
Date: April 09, 2015 01:55PM

My Bookmarks toolbar is not shown, even though "Enable Bookmarks Bar" is enabled. I've tried disabling/re-enabling. This is a new install of K-Meleon on this PC. First V74, then tried V75RC2 to see if it would correct it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmarks toolbar
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 09, 2015 03:28PM

You need to have a Folder from Bookmarks set as Toolbar folder.

Press CTRL + B to open bookmarks and with the context menu (right click), make sure your folder is set as Toolbar folder.

If you still can see it, make sure your toolbars are unlocked and search for a draggable element to show them up. It is like the symbol | but thicker. They could be hidden at the most right possible position of the screen.

Note that I'm talking, and I understood you, of Netscape Bookmarks, the default bookmarking of K-meleon, not the IE Favorites, that may be different.

Date: April 09, 2015 06:23PM

It was already set to the toolbar folder. I've tried all grab handles and it's not hidden behind those. Yes, the default bookmarks.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 09, 2015 07:36PM

Another possibility: perhaps accidentally off in View > Toolbars > bookmarks?

Am not quite sure, but guess the pref only decides whether the toolbar is created or not. By default it's then visible of course, but can manually be toggled off. Do you happen to use the same profile for all installs or is it portable version?

Posted by: rodocop
Date: April 09, 2015 07:52PM

Yes, bookmarks toolbar isn't shown in 75 by default. And maybe in 74 too - I can't remember.
You can switch it on as siria described.

If no menu toolbar - use control-button (looking like a 'gear') and choose the way written by siria:
View->Toolbars->Bookmarks

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2015 07:55PM by rodocop.

Date: April 09, 2015 08:07PM

"Another possibility: perhaps accidentally off in View > Toolbars > bookmarks?"
That was it. Thanks. This should be enabled by default. Let people disable it if they want (probably easier than enabling...right click->disable).

But while going through the view options to see what they did, I turned off the settings bar, and now I can't back to the view options!? You'd think right clicking the toolbars you there, or holding control to bring up the FEV menu (like Firefox), but neither do. I don't see it in the F2 prefs either (maybe I missed it).
Sorry, but this is a bad design.

Date: April 09, 2015 08:22PM

Ah right...
Looks like another victim of the "modern" minimalist skin fashion ;-)

Well, if I guess right the buttons are now zoomed dynamically and this eliminates the need for skin variations...
But still, just thinking: perhaps there could still be an optional variation, called Default(max)? Containing only a skin.js, which shows all toolbars?
To give people a second chance to find the toolbars in the prefs if they overlooked them in "Views"...
Or better yet the other way around:
Have in the global skin.js all toolbars switched ON and only in the minimalist default skin folder a minimalist skin.js to switch some toolbars off?

That said, this is just theory, have no experience with those skin.js files. And suppose as soon as a user toggles a toolbar manually, that will stay permanently in his prefs.js now, overriding a skin.js...?

Date: April 09, 2015 08:35PM

Jack
Let people disable it if they want (probably easier than enabling...right click->disable).

What I keep saying - it's easier to switch something OFF than to switch something ON when you don't even know it exists. That's why I'm really mighty glad the privbar is finally ON by default, after so many years smiling smiley (nag: just the Clear-functions should all get a confirmation, not just "clear all" :coolsmiling smiley

Jack
But while going through the view options to see what they did, I turned off the settings bar, and now I can't back to the view options!? You'd think right clicking the toolbars you there, or holding control to bring up the FEV menu (like Firefox), but neither do. I don't see it in the F2 prefs either (maybe I missed it).

LOL - geil... what a brilliant trick! Switch the gear button off and that was it then grinning smiley Yes I admit, that's a bad trap grinning smiley
Actually you CAN right click the toolbars since KM74 - BUT only in a free space! And only in a normal toolbar, not the tab bar or bookmarks bar... And with some luck there might not be any free space left...

Date: April 09, 2015 08:49PM

Perhaps, as fallback for the worst case, add the "Tool&bars" menu to the page context menu, hoping this one will always be there...

Date: April 10, 2015 01:50PM

Thanks siria. The only place the context menu is available for me is on the privacy bar. Good thing that's on be default or I would be SOL.
So no context with toolbars option on the tab bar, bookmarks bar, main bar, URL bar, or anywhere else.

Posted by: Robin
Date: August 07, 2015 08:00AM

Mmmm, as of today, I have lost all my bookmarks. The bookmart tool bar is there, but empty. Any ideas?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.