Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Loading K-Meleon 75 over 74
Posted by: R. West
Date: July 01, 2015 04:43AM

Attempted to download 75 over 74 (installed previously).

How do I tell if it worked?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loading K-Meleon 75 over 74
Posted by: WiM
Date: July 01, 2015 11:59AM

I'm not shure I understand your question, but you can look at Help/About K-Meleon to see which version is running. For Version 75 you should see

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 K-Meleon/75.0.

If this is not what you want, please specify your question.

Date: July 02, 2015 12:48AM

Thanks. I see I still have Version 74 running:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0

Let me see if I can explain it more clearly:

I had Version 74 already installed.

I downloaded Version 75 recently.

But 75 isn't overriding 74 on my machine. Is there some way to make 75 work without uninstalling 74 before downloading 75?

Thanks again!

Date: July 02, 2015 12:55AM

P.S. This is the part I don't understand:

"Choose the desired installation directory. When installing K-Meleon 75 over a previous installation of K-Meleon, make sure to choose the same profile location as you did for the previous installation (option Multi-user profiles). Otherwise the new installation may not use your existing profile."

How does one do this? Thx.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 02, 2015 01:15AM

By the way, this is not a bug.

Looks like you downloaded the portable version (7z) of K-meleon 75.

My choice (there are other ways) would be to use the SetDefault.exe file from the 1.1.6 version (not for any reason, just I trust earlier versions of this executable) and register K-meleon 75 searching for its path.

Download 1.1.6 from the Download area of this page. Use the portable 7z. Just open it and run SetDefault.exe.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/download.php

As you are using XP, you shouldn't have problems with the above.

About the profiles, if you want to use a new profile to avoid mixing things between 74 and 75 users, and you didn't create a new one for K-meleon 75, is to run k-meleon 75 with the parameters:

K-meleon.exe -P "thenewprofilenameofyourchoice"

Posted by: siria
Date: July 02, 2015 01:28AM

Profiles sound like the harmless part to me, and not your real prob if overwriting doesn't work.

Many of us use multiple profiles (subfolders) anyway for various reasons.
You only need to know in which place the parent folder of those profiles is located, either inside K-Meleons program folder (portable installation) or in the normal windows user folder (multi-user installation), or KM doesn't find the previously created profiles.
All profiles in all places are still there though, and if necessary you can just copy over the folder contents from one profile subfolder into another.
If the installation is "portable" or "multi-user" depends just on whether or not an empty file "profile.ini" exists in KMs program folder. And you can still create or delete that later too.

But it's funny that you can't overwrite the program itself.... Personally I'm still on win98 and rather clueless about all those nasty tricks newer systems force on users (my Vista machine drove me crazy), but could it possibly be you accidentally installed into a subfolder of the old installation? Otherwise no idea...

Ah just see, John was faster grinning smiley
And yes, it's usually a better idea to keep things separate anyway, instead of overwriting! Separate program versions in different folders, and especially separate profiles. Both KM versions can run parallel and independently, as long as NOT the same profile (subfolder) is used, and instead just the contents of a 74 profile folder manually copied over into the new 75 profile folder.
There is also an option in Edit>Manage Profiles to have KM ask at each startup which profile it shall use, find that easier and more flexible than hardcoded profiles via commandline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 01:39AM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 02, 2015 05:20AM

R. West
Is there some way to make 75 work without uninstalling 74 before downloading 75?

1.) Yes. There is. I have multiple versions running peacefully next to each other. And I strongly advise to first get a new version and then maybe after some testing discard the old version.

a.) Give desktop link to old version 74 unique name like Release74 or 74.

b.) Download the new version.

c.) Install the new version in a new folder with a new name. Say K-Meleon75en-US folder and create that during install. Each K-Meleon needs an unique folder name! If You want more than one install.

d.) Give desktop link to new Version 75 unique name like Release75.

e.) Add parameter to desktop icon to old install: E:\K-Meleon74.0\k-meleon.exe -new

f.) Add parameter to desktop icon to old install: E:\K-Meleon75.0\k-meleon.exe -new

g.) Now they both are potentially useable next to each other at the same time. And they can be selectively be started via their desktop icon. I say potentially because each needs an independent profile to do that while the other is running already.

f.) To achieve that all my K-Meleons have an independent profile of their own by using the portable setup. That gives me a profile in each install folder. Drawback: the profiles are not synchronized. I do not want them synchronized anyway because each is for a special purpose.

To have them synchronised like e.g. siria You use other start procedures and profile location.

g.) Finally. One of the K-Meleons is set to default. I do this using the new installer version. For older versions of Windows You can sometimes e.g. use older setdefault.exe from a then contemporary K-Meleon version.

2.) When all works to Your liking maybe discard the old version.
Or keep it like me as backup or for other purposes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 05:30AM by guenter.

Date: July 07, 2015 01:27AM

Thanks for all the help! I'm not much on computers, so I really struggled to get this done. But I finally got it! Version 75 looks good!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.