Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Solved - Some URLs Missing in Links Tab
Posted by: duffy98
Date: August 04, 2012 09:24PM

First of all, I tried the Search feature and as usual I got no information. I have never gotten any information on anything over the years using Search at this site. I also never get any information in the Search feature at the MSFN forum. I have no clue why that is ... I can't be that stupid but I must be. I only have luck with Google search where I usually get several hundred thousand to millions of info hits.

Anyway, I don't know for sure if this is a true bug or not. I just noticed today that my Links tab on the KM browser (right side) is missing some URL links that are in the Links folder under the Favorites tab. They are Yahoo URL links ... I have four Yahoo URL links ... Yahoo home page, Yahoo Mail, Yahoo Finance and Yahoo UK. In the Links folder under the Favorites tab the four links are there but in the Links tab on the right side of the KM browser (1.5.4 and 1.6) only one Yahoo link is there ... the Yahoo.com home page ... been playing around for a few hours but I can get the other three Yahoo links to appear. I did have the Yahoo Finance link for a short time but it disappeared again. I know those links have always been there since I use them often every day ... why are the other three Yahoo links now missing? ... but all four Yahoo links are visible in the Links folder under the Favorites tab.

thanks ...

mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 10:44AM by duffy98.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some URLs Missing in Links Tab
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 05, 2012 01:23AM

Mike,

First let me say that I am not an expert in 'Links' favorites. I had to research a while to find where they come from. If you edit your favorites, you will see one folder named 'Favorites Bar'. That seems to be the location for internet shortcuts that display under the 'Links' folder.

I copied a shortcut from another folder and put it in the Favorites Bar folder. Then I started KM and the shortcut appeared in Links.

Did you delete or add to the shortcuts in your Favorites Bar folder?

I don't enable the favorites bar in my KM so I cannot tell you if there are ways to change the shortcuts there other than favorites - edit.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: August 05, 2012 07:31AM

JamesD ... thanks for the reply, if I understand you right, yes in the Favorites tab I click on Add Page when I want to save a web site page and then click on Edit to rename it and add it to the appropriate folder. I have a huge number of web site URLs so I have them in different folders to have some sense of order. Yes, I see all four Yahoo links when I go into the Links folder under the Favorites-Edit tab and also just in the Favorites-Link tab but I have a Links tab to the extreme right on my K-Meleon browser toolbar ... a shortcut just to the Links folder only. I have my K-Meleon browser set up as close to the IE6 look as possible using the Klassic skin.

As I said earlier, I know all four Yahoo links were there at one time, I may not use them every day but I do use them several times a week or almost every day ... I just can't be sure when the three Yahoo URLs disappeared in that extreme right Links tab. I'm sure all four Yahoo URLs were there in the last month or so.

thanks ...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 05, 2012 11:36AM

Mike,

OK so I enabled the favorites bar just to see what it did, and now I see the links >> symbol. It just seems to be another way to click on favorites. I see the same favorites folders and links by clicking there. I do see all the items in my links (favorites bar) folder. I have not changed anything else in the Favorites Bar tab in preferences. Have you changed something there?

You mentioned that you add a favorite and then edit to rename it and move it to the correct folder. Have you ever tried one of my macros for that? See here: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmFavRenAdd

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: August 05, 2012 01:36PM

JamesD ... yes, that Links tab on the extreme right side of the KM browser is just a faster way to get to certain web sites that a person visits regularly. All my other URLs match up in the Links folder and Links right side tab. Just those three additional Yahoo URLs are missing ... but they were actually there not long ago, I know that for sure. I don't remember changing any settings or making adjustments. It's a real mystery for now. Maybe I will hit on something in the next few days. Yes, I use Favorites over Bookmarks.

I did not know about your KmmFavRenAdd macro. I will use it, thanks for telling me about it.

mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 01:37PM by duffy98.

Date: September 08, 2012 11:23AM

Some further news on my missing Yahoo links ... I was down to one Yahoo link still showing in that extreme right side Links Favorites tab and last week it also "disappeared". All four of my Yahoo links are sill visible in the regular Favorites - Links upper toolbar. All my other links are still there in the extreme right Links Favorites tab, just the four Yahoo links (URLs) have disappeared. Wonder what is different with the Yahoo links? Oh well, just thought I'd make mention of it.

Date: November 06, 2012 10:42AM

Well today I finally figured out why the Web URL links were disappearing from the extreme right Links tab. I have had some others disappear since I first posted this. Just discovered today that you can only have a total of 32 URL links in that extreme right Links tab ... if you add more then the last URL links start to drop off or disappear. The URL links are still there and visible in the "Favorites - Links" folder, they just don't show up on the right side Links folder when more than 32 URLs are in the folder. Might be helpful to someone else ... I just simply cleaned out my Links folder to get below 32 URLs and all URLs are visible.

I was looking in Preferences to see if I could find the 32 number anywhere and maybe increase it to 40 but I didn't have any luck in that area.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 03:29PM by duffy98.

Posted by: deadlock
Date: November 08, 2012 11:40PM

duffy98
I was looking in Preferences to see if I could find the 32 number anywhere and maybe increase it to 40 but I didn't have any luck in that area.

You can't change it in Preferences.

It was 9 years, 9 months ago...
#define MAX_BUTTONS 32
and was never changed.

You need a new favorites.dll for that.

Date: November 10, 2012 05:01PM

deadlock ... thanks for the information about the Links tab dealing with the 32 total saved web URLs. Now that I know what is going on, I can just keep the URL number at 32 in the Links folder. Just was baffled as to why the URLs were disappearing on the extreme right Links tab but were still visible and usable in the Favorities - Links tab.

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 05:04PM by duffy98.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.