Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Website Icons not saved in IconCache.dat
Posted by: WiM
Date: September 21, 2015 07:04PM

I have updated to Version 75.1. I observe now that the website icons are shown in the address line as well as in the tabs. BUT they are never stored in the IconCache file, so they are lost when closing K-Meleon.
Another funny thing: usually I update by renaming the old K-Meleon directory, adding "old" to the name, saving the new version from the 7z archive in a new directory and than copying the profile subdirectory to the new directory. With the old K-Melons (up to version 1.6) this always worked well. But what is totally disturbing: I observed that the IconCache.dat of the OLD version (within the renamed directory!) got a new time stamp whereas the new IconCache.dat was not changed... Don't understand this.
How do I manage that new K-Meleon uses it's own IconCache.dat for storing the icons???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Website Icons not saved in IconCache.dat
Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 21, 2015 07:23PM

Dorian announced that he changed way of storing favicons in last release.

But I also have noted that favicons mostly disappear from session to session.

Previously I found them in place right after restart even with lazy tab load. But now most of them get default icon.

Date: September 21, 2015 07:29PM

Maybe it is simply because I use the portable version, since ages. That would be a real disappointment for me - I like portable software.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 21, 2015 08:29PM

No clue about icons, except that Dorian mentioned they must be enabled in F2>Cache

But the rest sounds like one of those evil stunts Vista would play on me...
What happens if you do NOT rename any folders, instead just unzip new ones to a name that includes their version, like K-Meleon75.1?
Or what if you create a NEW profile in the new KM version, and then copy over only the CONTENTS of the old profile folder? With or without the old iconcache?

Date: September 22, 2015 08:25AM

Funny things are happening!
I created a new profile within 75.1 and guess what? The IconCache in the old profile was reduced to 0 Byte immediately. Then I copied the contents of the old profile into the new directory and since then the IconCache stays like it was before copying - 0 Byte, no change. Someone or something does not want me to see Icons in my K-Meleon. ¬_¬

Date: September 22, 2015 10:27AM

Okay, since I do remember Dorian explained it, finally did a forum search what he posted about new favicon system:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,135103,135173#msg-135173
Dorian Aug-31
Slickone
After my update, all my favicons (for the ones that ever showed up) are gone. Any way to prevent that next time?
Also I know it's been discussed before, but most pages/bookmarks still never have favicons.

This is specific to this update because the favcicon storage has changed. They should be back after you visit the page again.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,135103,135265#msg-135265
Dorian Sep-6
Slickone
They came back for a few, but most did not. But they never had any show up to begin with. Even popular sites like google maps, google drive, craigslist, AOL, weather.com, etc.

In about:config toggle browser.chrome.favicons.
I thought it was in the FAQ
I admit something must be done about this.

PS: also try if force-reload helps (F5)

Then again...
WiM
Funny things are happening!
I created a new profile within 75.1 and guess what? The IconCache in the old profile was reduced to 0 Byte immediately.

If it's modifying the wrong profile path that's odd. Which folder opens with Edit>Config.>Profile Dir, the old or the new one??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2015 10:29AM by siria.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 22, 2015 10:28AM

IconCache is not used anymore and will be deleted in future version.
Did you change the history settings?

Date: September 22, 2015 10:37AM

@siria
The new one. That's what confused me, everythings seems ok, but it isn't. The settings in about:config are also ok.

@Dorian
No, not that I'm aware of smiling smiley What exactly shall I be looking at?

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 24, 2015 04:13PM

I'm not sure. If the history is deleted then the favicons will be too, which wasn't the case before. So you should check if the history is working properly.

Did you try with a clean profile?
You may have a corrupted places.sqlite. Check the last page of the 75.1 beta thread about it. If I knew this could happen, I may have not done this :-\

Date: September 29, 2015 07:56PM

@dorian
Sorry for answering late, but I was rather busy recently. Creatin a new profile did not help. But I have found out that the history is not working properly. When I close KM and restart immediately the history is empty.
Does that mean that favicons are only shown in the bookmarks and hotlist menus as long as the corresponding sites are stored in the history? Then of course the icons will always disappear at some point, since the size of the history file is always finite.

Date: January 24, 2016 09:34PM

Dorian
IconCache is not used anymore and will be deleted in future version.
Did you change the history settings?

Pref Sheets need update:
in current K-Meleon 76beta3 the setting is still there (F2>Cache), explicitely telling "will be stored in iconcache.dat"

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 25, 2016 02:05PM

WIM
When I close KM and restart immediately the history is empty.

I don't know your current method for a quick restart of KM but there is an extension which works well with KM76x. I have never lost any history using Restart2. You can get it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/Restart2.7z

One click on a button does the restart. A right click menu on the button provides options to open last session, use an alternate button, open the error console, and provide a menu item in the file menu.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.