Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Firefox Bookmarks not showing or importing.sad smiley
Posted by: jopower
Date: September 25, 2015 10:37AM

I'm having trouble with Firefox bookmarks. I have the "support for Forefox bookmarks" enabled, yet they do not show. IE9 faves came in fine. The bookmarks and faves are kept in separate pull down menus. I have already tried the new 75.1 update but they still don't show.

I have sourced the FF 41 bookmarks file name = C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\nyadf09k.default\places.sqlite

The KM Bookmarks > Options > Netscape Bookmarks File = C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\viff2v1v.default\bookmarks.html

FF 41 does NOT use an html file name any more. Mozilla Netscape is long dead. IE Faves were no problem and updates KM automatically if I add anything so far as I can see. I did try pointing KM bookmark file location to the newer file type but it isn't recogized. It would appear KM needs a long needed update for recog of *.sqlite files.

I do NOT think exporting the FF bookmarks to an html file is acceptable when IE faves are automatically usable without this. In fact the IE faves file location window in KM Options says "(not set)"!!

Hardware: my notebook is running fine. OS is Vista SP2, dual core CPU, 2 GB RAM, plenty of drive space.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Firefox Bookmarks not showing or importing.sad smiley
Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 25, 2015 11:56AM

You cannot read FF-bookmarks otherwise than having exported them to bookmarks.html.

That's reality.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 25, 2015 04:47PM

Personally I much prefer to have history, bookmarks and favicons stored in different files. Not all tossed together into 1 single, big heap file like FF now does, one more reason to dislike it.

The IE favorites are a completely different system anyway: every single entry consists of one independant little link file. That means they are stored in hundreds of thousands little files, not in 1 huge bookmarks file (html or sqlite). That makes it very safe and flexible to *SHARE* Favorites between different browsers, without need to keep 2 different sets, or otherwise risk loss of new modifications if both browsers were doing that at the same time.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 25, 2015 06:38PM

jopower
I'm having trouble with Firefox bookmarks. I have the "support for Forefox bookmarks" enabled, yet they do not show. IE9 faves came in fine. The bookmarks and faves are kept in separate pull down menus. I have already tried the new 75.1 update but they still don't show.

I have sourced the FF 41 bookmarks file name = C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\nyadf09k.default\places.sqlite

The KM Bookmarks > Options > Netscape Bookmarks File = C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\viff2v1v.default\bookmarks.html

FF 41 does NOT use an html file name any more. Mozilla Netscape is long dead. IE Faves were no problem and updates KM automatically if I add anything so far as I can see. I did try pointing KM bookmark file location to the newer file type but it isn't recogized. It would appear KM needs a long needed update for recog of *.sqlite files.

I do NOT think exporting the FF bookmarks to an html file is acceptable when IE faves are automatically usable without this. In fact the IE faves file location window in KM Options says "(not set)"!!

K-Meleon does support Netscape bookmarks format natively. And NO. You have NOT enabled Firefox bookmarks because the option is not available in K-Meleon.

You have merely enabled the plugin for Netscape bookmarks support.

No. It does not matter where places.sqlite is because K-Meleon uses the less resource heavy (less wasteful) older method for its native bookmarks.

Netscape or Mozilla bookmarks format is still supported by almost all current browsers I know. However You need to know how and where.

Current browsers have that option hidden somewhere. Netscape bookmarks format is used as an industry standard backup and exchange format these days.

And I do think, it is acceptable that K-Meleon has no option to import the whole hogwash of old and new bookmarking systems if it supports the industry standard exchange and backup format "Netscape bookmarks" and Windows native favorites.

Firefox 41.

Click

Show All History.

Tab: Import and Backup.

Menue item: Export bookmarks to html.

Now Firefox will create a file in the Netscape bookmarks.html format.

p.s. This "how do I get my bookmarks from a random browser to k-meleon" and related is an often answered question.

The reason K-Meleon can use favorites is possibly owed to the fact that its ancestral MFCembed code was originally an IE shell and was later used as a test bed for Mozilla's GREs.

It helps to hang out here with the same browser forum for 10 years. grinning smiley

Thx 2 Dorian.:cool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2015 06:44PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.