Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
KM 751 menus unresponsive on certain javascript sites
Posted by: misterp
Date: September 26, 2015 03:08AM

I wrote this last weekend and it appeared on the forum, but it is not there now.

I was exploring this problem a little more and here is what I know and parts of how to replicate the problem.

1) New profile.
[Edit 1a) Enable the menu bar.]
2) Turn images off and javascript on.
3) Navigate to a site that uses javascript to load some kind of slide show of images. These mostly seem to be ad sites. Last week I had an example, but right now it doesn't seem to be loading that type of ad. But if you browse around with images off and javascript on and no other extensions, you'll run into this problem before long. Financial sites and newspapers seem to have these type of ads a lot.

CPU usage goes to 100% of one core and the browser becomes entirely unresponsive. I have looked some for a static site with this type of behavior unsuccessfully.

Turning javascript off is not really an option given how many sites are nonfunctional without javascript. And the web is much prettier with images off.

At least this time I'll keep a copy of the post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 03:42AM by misterp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM 751 using 100% cpu of one core images off/javascript on
Posted by: misterp
Date: September 26, 2015 03:10AM

Right now, http://www.google.com/finance causes the problem with the Ally Bank ad.

The same ad causes CPU usage to go to 100% of one core in Firefox 41 as well with images enabled. But in Firefox you can switch tabs and use menus. In KM751, if you click on a menu heading(Bookmarks for example), it brings up the menu and you can do nothing with it. The problem happens in KM751 with images enabled as well.

This is by clicking on a menu from the menu bar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 03:23AM by misterp.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 26, 2015 05:20AM

Have no issue there, but it seems that google shows different ads for different countries.
We need other links to reproduce.

What I can to advice:
1) Use AdBlockPlus for KM 75.1
2) Use new macro by siria that is able to switch permissions for different heavy content including third-party.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 26, 2015 10:13AM

misterp
Right now, http://www.google.com/finance causes the problem with the Ally Bank ad.

Cannot help testing much, since my online machines is only Win98 with KM1.6.
And understand there may be a bug that needs fixing, although some workaround might help a bit too.

But anyway, just for curiosity wanted to take a look - and found this configuration shows a really beautifully simple page at that link: as simple as this forum, LOL! No ads anywhere grinning smiley Then tried to lower my collection of barriers one by one, allow all JS, objects, DOMstorage, SVG graphics, image roll-over, refresh, flash9, native mini-adblocker, etc., fake UA into FF38, whatever, but no matter what I tried: still absolutely NO ads!! The page staying as simple as before, and the only pics being 2 charts, couldn't believe it smiling smiley

There are 2 things that I can't test though:
- no Java exists on my machine
- the hosts file is probably blocking it, as it contains a bunch of google resource sites. But am not willing to try without it, since that stuff tends to overload and freeze my poor old machine with 250MB RAM. The HOSTS does block stuff like ajax.googleapis, googlesyndication, doubleclick.net etc....

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.