Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
100% CPU-Charge and PC unresponsive after sleep mode for hours (until you quit)
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: October 19, 2015 08:51AM

I'm now really fed up with an absolutely unacceptable behaviour: after having set the PC into sleep mode and then continueing to work after wake up, the CPU-charge is at 100% among that k-meleon consumes 99% ... and this for hours, just until you quit k-meleon. The PC is unresponsive and just not usable at that time. Any kind of keystroke takes seconds to minutes.

The only solution would be to quit k-meleon and restart it again; but that's no solution as you lose "updating webpages". Specially with Facebook (but also with other newspapers) you won't get the same stuff on the page after reload that you had before ... but I want to continue where I left before. Turning off JavaScript is no solution as some pages (among them Fcool smiley are no longer reloading further elements when continuing to scroll down.

This flaw is reproducable and happens every time after sleep mode and wake up again!

And again I have the problem of: "The data that you have submitted to the server have been rejected, because it looks like they were posted by an automated bot." That's obviously NOT related to "same text as title" ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100% CPU-Charge and PC unresponsive after sleep mode for hours (until you quit)
Posted by: siria
Date: October 19, 2015 09:41AM

Those various forum -errors have mighty increased since the switch to the redirected URL, but anyway, your first post did get posted too, there are now 2 of them.

Can't remember that anyone has reported probs with sleep mode before, so it's good you tell it, but rather useless without also telling your System, your KM-version etc. ...

Have no clue about system/cpu stuff, but just a thought, have you tried if it would make any difference switching JS off *before* sleep mode and afterwards on again?

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2015 09:43AM by siria.

Re: 100% CPU-Charge and PC unresponsive after sleep mode for hours (until you quit)
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: October 19, 2015 03:19PM

siria
Those various forum -errors have mighty increased since the switch to the redirected URL, but anyway, your first post did get posted too, there are now 2 of them.
Oops ... just saw it now ... :O

That was not the idea to post it twice ... but it seems that it posted AND showed me an error ... :/

siria
Can't remember that anyone has reported probs with sleep mode before, so it's good you tell it, but rather useless without also telling your System, your KM-version etc. ...
I have several PC that I use often for the moment:
- Notebook (PIII/1200) with XP and 480 MB of RAM (512Mcool smiley
- Notebook (PIII/1200) with XP and 1 GB of RAM (1Gcool smiley
- Notebook (Pentium M/1700) with XP and 960 MB of RAM (1Gcool smiley
- PC (Athlon II X2 250) with Vista/x64 and 4GB of RAM (here is Graphics-card)
- PC (LGA1155/Celeron G470) with Win 8.1/x64 and 3.7 GB of RAM (4Gcool smiley

All use built in grapics card with some amount of shared memory ...

As I rarely use KM on the P-III PCs and only with very few tabs open, those two do not seem to be the big problem. But on all others the problems occur.

An often and regular (reproduceable) problem is excessive use of virtual memory by KM.

siria
Have no clue about system/cpu stuff, but just a thought, have you tried if it would make any difference switching JS off *before* sleep mode and afterwards on again?
It MAKES a difference; but as soon as you turn JS off, you can forget FB as the FB pages are filled up with the "events" by JS. Also extending a FB page to get more "events" is no longer working when turning JS off ...

Btw: my preferred browser is still NetCaptor with JS turned off: faster and better to use than anything else (specially tabbed browsing: there is NO speed decrease even when having 40 or 60 (or a big bunch more) tabs open) ...

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 20, 2015 07:23AM

Voltaire

An often and regular (reproduceable) problem is excessive use of virtual memory by KM.

siria
It MAKES a difference; but as soon as you turn JS off, you can forget FB as the FB pages are filled up with the "events" by JS. Also extending a FB page to get more "events" is no longer working when turning JS off ...

Btw: my preferred browser is still NetCaptor with JS turned off: faster and better to use than anything else (specially tabbed browsing: there is NO speed decrease even when having 40 or 60 (or a big bunch more) tabs open) ...

The GRE is set to gobble up memory. (This has not been posted for long.) Mozilla devs want it that way. I do not recall where the setting was that restricts this behaviour and whether it still exists. Possibly "limit the cache use" has still an effect here. Minimise the browser has/had the effect that it released RAM.

I did not know that NetCaptor & Co still work with FB. Especially with JS turned off. :O

Anyway. Modern speculative pre-execution and compilation of JS by modern Just In Time compilers like IonMonkey eats away AFAIK massive amounts of RAM/CPU. No idea how this can be limited selectively or generally.

p.s. I encounter problems on some new pages where I have to switch on/off JS via privacy bar if needed. Else they can stall the browser. I see this as a GRE and site specific problem and waunt fix.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 20, 2015 09:18AM

just-in-time-compilers... that reminds me, there are two "jit" prefs that can be toggled, as someone (you?) had mentioned here a long while ago. What it does exactly don't know, but testing can't harm.
And there are several RAM limits in about:config too.

Ah yes, and there's also that 'great' link prefetching pref, in F2>Privacy>Paranoia

PS Voltaire: You'd make a great tester with that assortment of machines of all sorts grinning smiley But forgot your KM-Version, what's it? 75.1?

On my old win98 machine with 256MB RAM and 8MB video RAM I too have 50-80 open tabs quite often in KM1.6 and no lagging - as long as JS is blocked. One or two of the modern monster sites with JS enabled though... forget it.
So guess the magic is for 99% done by blocking JS. What you do with Netcaptor but not KM. Not KMs fault... :cool:

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2015 09:22AM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 20, 2015 08:21PM

No idea whether toggling javascript.options.baselinejit.content gives still any advantage. Not even sure it once was any good. I tend to assume that it is the huge JS amount of current pages that stall the browser on older machines.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.