Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Some pages cause crashes
Posted by: Aku Talikka
Date: February 07, 2016 09:36AM

Occasionally a simple-looking website causes K-Meleon 75.1 to chrash (I haven't tested on older versions). Most recently this page makes the browser unresponsive and Windows to offer problem solution searching from the Internet.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/brock-pierce-china-not-able-to-hold-control-over-bitcoin-mining-1454516516

I've come across similar situations but I can't remember the exact urls now. I can dig them up if it helps.

Otherwise this software is very good. Thanks for the quick and easy-on-old-hardware browser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some pages cause crashes
Posted by: Aku Talikka
Date: February 07, 2016 09:41AM

I forgot to mention that I have not tested these URLs on other computers. This one is Windows 7 64 bit. I'll try and test the url on other systems, too.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 07, 2016 03:49PM

Wow...

I confirm that:

Out of memory (NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY). My K-meleon 75.0 going up to 300MB of RAM.

As 75 branch is no more in development, you could test the 76beta3 from the announcement subforum and confirm it to report in that thread so Dorian could fix it if still happens in the future K-meleon release.

Probably just a scripting error, not fixable in K-meleon, but worth the test.

As a workaround, browse with Javascript disabled through some pages. I do most of the times, unless necessary without harm. And that page in particular, looks fine without it, except you are not able to see Disquss comments.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 07, 2016 05:38PM

The true reason is not the page itself but the Disqus comments module - the crash goes only when it comes to this module load.

Old browsers for example do load this page fine and fast - but without comment module at all (K-Meleon 1.6, Opera 12)/
Or cannot load page in whole (KM CCF ME 0.095, QtWeb).

Chrome clones load the page successfully.

Other Disqus-based comments are loaded smooth enough in my KM 75.1 Pro.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 07, 2016 06:30PM

It would be true, rodocop, if I scrolled down at least, or if I let disqus scripts load, but none of these are true.

I only allowed the domain sripts and I didn't move the page at all.

The bug come from an "Amazon" script (not sure if belongs to them) with, if I'm not wrong, monitoring capabilities. Anyway, it creates more and more elements in memory until goes out of memory of with a buffer overflow or whatever.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/js/aws-sdk.min.js

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 06:32PM by JohnHell.

Date: February 07, 2016 07:38PM

Tried to analyze errors in console.
Now I think the problem is CSS-related as it's common for Gecko and KM in particular.

Extra-big CSS are known to cause drastic slowdowns and RAM leaks in KM - as described for russian Livejournal page for example.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 07, 2016 07:49PM

I did the page in KM 76 beta 3. Lots of CSS warnings and four red errors. Javascript was enabled and also basic adblock.

Sun Feb 07 2016 14:35:02
Error: downloadable font: OS/2: adjusting Mac style (regular) (font-family: "proxima-nova" style:normal weight:bold stretch:normal src index:0) source: 

source length  was 91872 characters

Sun Feb 07 2016 14:35:04
Error: : 
Source file: inline-7a8000560e.js
Line: 1

Sun Feb 07 2016 14:35:11
Error: Error: Load timeout for modules: ga
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#timeout
Source file: https://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/nexp/dok3v=38857570ac/cloudflare.min.js line 4 > eval
Line: 2

Sun Feb 07 2016 14:35:55
Error: The connection to wss://ws.bitcoinmagazine.com/socket.io/?EIO=3&transport=websocket&sid=1-vb6PNp6uICvl_ZAAbd has terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred.
Source file: https://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/nexp/dok3v=38857570ac/cloudflare.min.js line 4 > eval
Line: 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 07:51PM by JamesD.

Date: February 10, 2016 04:15PM

My KM76b3 doesn't crash here under Win7 x32

75.1 crashes giving 2 out of memory faults for the same script that is reported in console for JamesD.

And my Firefox 31 doesn't crash here too. So it was a sort of KM specific error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 04:17PM by rodocop.

Posted by: north
Date: February 18, 2016 01:53AM
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 18, 2016 06:09AM

The site itself redirects to java script pages that crash 75 und 76b3 for me.

google.ajax or so and a tracker page.

p.s. The page also freezes Firefox nightly by using excessive JavaScript to the extend that it saps all RAM usage (2 Gcool smiley.

The page is IMHO dangerous.

Page owner has either used only google chrome or another browser with the same engine during tests so that does not know what he has been doing or intentionally crashes Mozilla based browsers.

Works well in Google Chrome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 06:33AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.