Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
[Solved] Unable to open .htm and .html files in K-Meleon through Explorer
Posted by: Zephyr
Date: September 24, 2016 08:24PM

Whenever I click on htm and html files in Explorer after having associated these file types with K-Meleon it opens with the message:

Invalid Address

The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded.

The provided address is not in a recognized format. Please check the location bar for mistakes and try again.

I have made K-Meleon the default browser in the K-Meleon preferences and also in the Windows Set Program Access and Defaults. I have monitored the registry changes that occur after these actions and they are as follows:

HCKU\SoftwareMicrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm\UserChoice Value=K-MeleonHTML
HCKU\SoftwareMicrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html\UserChoice Value=K-MeleonHTML
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\K-MeleonHTML\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\K-MeleonURL\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ftp\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\HTTP\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\htttps\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2016 10:01PM by Zephyr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unable to open .htm and .html files in K-Meleon through Explorer
Posted by: foliator
Date: September 24, 2016 11:10PM

Zephyr
Whenever I click on htm and html files in Explorer after having associated these file types with K-Meleon it opens with the message:

Invalid Address

The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded.

The provided address is not in a recognized format. Please check the location bar for mistakes and try again.

I have made K-Meleon the default browser in the K-Meleon preferences and also in the Windows Set Program Access and Defaults. I have monitored the registry changes that occur after these actions and they are as follows:

HCKU\SoftwareMicrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm\UserChoice Value=K-MeleonHTML
HCKU\SoftwareMicrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html\UserChoice Value=K-MeleonHTML
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\K-MeleonHTML\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\K-MeleonURL\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ftp\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"
HKLN\SOFTWARE\Classes\ftp\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\HTTP\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\htttps\shell\open\command Value="Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe""%1"

I noticed some slight errors in those values; there should be a space between the closing quote of the command and opening quote of the parameter, as follows:

"Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe" "%1"

At least, that's what you should get when you set K-Meleon as the default browser through KM's preferences dialog (F2). I don't know why those spaces are missing, but maybe that's why K-Meleon doesn't recognize the URLs.

Hope that helps!

---
Gerry

Posted by: siria
Date: September 25, 2016 12:11AM

And D:\ ?

Date: September 25, 2016 01:05AM

siria
And D:\ ?

Yes, I noticed that too, but I just tried entering Ctongue sticking out smileyrogram Files into my Windows Run dialog, and it does take me to C:\Program Files, although it actually shouldn't.

@Zephyr: Did you set K-Meleon as the default browser through the preferences dialog, or did you create those registry keys manually?

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 01:07AM by foliator.

Posted by: gordon451
Date: September 26, 2016 05:53AM

You may also want touch up the relevant entries in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, for example:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm]
@="K-MeleonHTML"
"Content Type"="text/html"
"PerceivedType"="text"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\notepad.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithProgIDs]
"K-Meleon.HTML"=hex(0):
"htmlfile"=""

Gordon.

Date: September 26, 2016 02:34PM

Instead of using "Open with", I've added an "Edit" command for HTML files in the Windows Explorer context menu:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/K-MeleonHTML/shell/edit/command/Default
C:\Users\Gerry\Documents\Apps\AkelPad\AkelPad.exe "%1"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/K-MeleonHTML/shell/edit/command/backup
C:\\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe "%1"

As you can see, I'm using my favorite text editor as an alternative to Notepad, which I've kept in the registry key as a backup.

I've done this for years now for each browser I've set as the default.

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2016 03:37PM by foliator.

Date: October 15, 2016 10:11AM

foliator
I noticed some slight errors in those values; there should be a space between the closing quote of the command and opening quote of the parameter, as follows:

"Dtongue sticking out smileyrogram Files\K-Meleon\kmeleon.exe" "%1"

At least, that's what you should get when you set K-Meleon as the default browser through KM's preferences dialog (F2). I don't know why those spaces are missing, but maybe that's why K-Meleon doesn't recognize the URLs.

Hope that helps!

Actually there was a mistake in my post and the registry entries do include a space between the closing quote of the command and opening quote of the parameter

Date: October 15, 2016 10:12AM

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2016 10:00PM by Zephyr.

Date: October 15, 2016 10:14AM

foliator
@Zephyr: Did you set K-Meleon as the default browser through the preferences dialog, or did you create those registry keys manually?

The registry keys were created automatically after setting K-Meleon as the default browser in Preferences.

Date: October 15, 2016 11:13AM

foliator
Instead of using "Open with", I've added an "Edit" command for HTML files in the Windows Explorer context menu:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/K-MeleonHTML/shell/edit/command/Default
C:\Users\Gerry\Documents\Apps\AkelPad\AkelPad.exe "%1"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/K-MeleonHTML/shell/edit/command/backup
C:\\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe "%1"

As you can see, I'm using my favorite text editor as an alternative to Notepad, which I've kept in the registry key as a backup.

I've done this for years now for each browser I've set as the default.

I already have an 'Edit' command for my Windows Explorer context menu for which the registry entry is:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\K-MeleonHTML\shell\Edit\command]
@="\"D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\msohtmed.exe\" %1"

This opens a html file in Winword as it would appear in a browser rather than as code for editing. As a last resort this would work, but I still have the problem that opening a link in the window sends a request to K-Meleon that attempts to open it with the error message 'Invalid Address. The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded. The provided address is not in a recognized format. Please check the location bar for mistakes and try again.'

Date: October 15, 2016 11:22AM

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2016 09:59PM by Zephyr.

The Solution
Date: October 15, 2016 09:58PM

The Solution!!!!!

I noticed that when I attempted to open a html file by right clicking the and selecting the 'Open With' dialogue box I could open it with K-Meleon in the normal way, but if instead I chose to open it with the 'Choose Program...' dialogue and put a tick in the box for 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' the setting would not be saved. I then located the section of the registry where Explorer keeps it's file extension settings by logging the changes made in my C: partition when I changed the program used to open html files in Folder Options\File Types dialogue box. The crucial setting is:

HKEY_USERS\User ID\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html
String value name=Progid
String value data=K-MeleonHTML

Back to my D: partition regedit displayed only three sub keys in the FileExts key, rather than the hundreds that I had expected. I attempted to create a new key named .html but Windows produced a message saying that the key already exists. At that point I knew that most of the sub keys within FileExts were hidden. This suspicion was confirmed when I exported the FileExts key and opened it with Notepad. I then installed an excellent regedit alternative called Registry Finder that did display all 2012 sub keys in FileExts. I could then edit the registry so that the data in Progid string value within the .html key becomes K-MeleonHTML rather than FirefoxHTML. This was sufficient for K-Meleon to open html files by left clicking in Explorer.

I did notice that many other programs will open files that they have been associated with without an entry in a sub key of FileExts, so perhaps this something that the K-Meleon developers should look into.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.