Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Privacy toolbar
Posted by: martinw2
Date: October 31, 2016 02:43PM

I have just installed K-Meleon76RC on Wind XP SP3

A problem I found on an earlier version is back again. When I tick the list of toolbars the only item that is not keeping the setting is the privacy toolbar. As soon as I close the browser and reopen it the privacy toolbar has to be re ticked each time to get it to show up. Any ideas

Thanks
Martin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Privacy toolbar keeps vanishing
Posted by: siria
Date: October 31, 2016 03:24PM

Oh no, not again, one of the best features of KM hidden away sad smiley
If I read you right, it's not just the position, but the complete toolbar vanished?
Just did a quick file search inside KM folder for name "&Privacy Bar", and looks like "skin.js" is a likely culprit. But only the one in Klassic skin, right? Open that file in Notepad and DELETE the visibility line in it. Does it help?

After deletion in skin.js (which is part of a skin itself), KM should hopefully respect the user setting for toolbar visibility. Almost all user settings (which appear also in about:config) are stored inside prefs.js in profile folder. Am not sure why the hardcoded skin.js seems to override that user setting, if it does that looks like a bug to me. If anything, skin.js should only kick in directly after a skin switch, not at each browser start again. But am writing this only from theory, not tested on a newer KM version myself.

Re: Toolbar visibility and positions (skin.js)
Posted by: siria
Date: October 31, 2016 03:52PM

On 2nd thought: perhaps disable that file completely (just rename skin.js to anything else), if it makes probs. In my understanding it's only there to store the DEFAULT visibility and toolbar-position when first switching to another skin. To make skins look more smoothly initially, because in KM every skin can have completely different toolbars and buttons and so can look like a complete mess at first. Tons of buttons in shattered positions, different on each screen size... Until the user pulls the bars into their final place and toggles on-off some, then those settings are stored in the user profile (prefs.js). Of course, until the next skin switch...

But if someone switches skins quite often such a hard-coded settings file can get quite handy. Users can copy their own favorite positions and visibility settings from current prefs.js (just a text file) and copy it into a personal skin.js file, putting different ones into different skin folders. Then after each switch the new skin looks perfect from the beginning again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 03:59PM by siria.

Re: Privacy toolbar keeps vanishing
Posted by: martinw2
Date: November 07, 2016 12:19PM

Thank you, by deleting the several lines that used the word 'visibility' it seems to have fixed the problem. Just opened and closed KM several times and the privacy bar is remaining in place. You were correct that it was in the classic skin.

Martin

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.