Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
bookmark button disappeared
Posted by: jgf
Date: January 28, 2017 01:37PM

After about three months of using k-meleon the "Bookmarks" button has disappeared. Everything I find online merely discusses the bookmarks themselves being lost; but the bookmarks are still there, I can open bookmarks.html in the browser and the links work, it is only the button that is missing.

As I find it a bit of a kludge to load that html file and scroll through it for a link, I would like to restore the Bookmark button.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bookmark button disappeared
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 28, 2017 05:26PM

jgf
After about three months of using k-meleon the "Bookmarks" button has disappeared. Everything I find online merely discusses the bookmarks themselves being lost; but the bookmarks are still there, I can open bookmarks.html in the browser and the links work, it is only the button that is missing.

As I find it a bit of a kludge to load that html file and scroll through it for a link, I would like to restore the Bookmark button.

Do you see the Bookmarks menu?

Then go to options and restore it from Bookmarks tab options.

If no luck yet, maybe you need to reorder the toolbars (View > Toolbars > Unlock)

Posted by: ebeneezer
Date: January 30, 2017 01:50AM

I too have lost my Bookmarks button today. Could someone explain how to replace it? Even some link or path to find my bookkmarks and edit them would be helpful.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 30, 2017 07:28PM

Are both checkmarks set?

Your bookmarks are located in the subfolder of your "Profiles" folder.
That subfolder is created at first run and has a random name.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 30, 2017 08:09PM

Yes there, and also with more Options here:
F2 > K-Meleon Plugins > Netscape Bookmarks

The Profile folder is found by
Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory
(but no idea, that may be among the deleted menu parts in default config?)
(and if KM is set to be portable, certain'superclever' Windows systems secretly catch write attempts there and writes it elsewhere)

Date: February 01, 2017 12:47PM

I have changed no settings, the "show button" is still checked, but there is no button. The bookmarks.html is intact; and when I save a bookmark I can select among my various subfolders. But the ony way to access my bookmarks now is to go to profiles and open that html. Checking the "menu bar" option merely adds another bar containing buttons for the k-meleon page and k-meleon forum.

Date: February 01, 2017 05:59PM

jgf
I have changed no settings, the "show button" is still checked, but there is no button. The bookmarks.html is intact; and when I save a bookmark I can select among my various subfolders. But the ony way to access my bookmarks now is to go to profiles and open that html. Checking the "menu bar" option merely adds another bar containing buttons for the k-meleon page and k-meleon forum.

CTRL + B context menu and play with the 3 "set" options.

If no luck, post a screenshot of the menu and bars zone.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 01, 2017 08:43PM

jgf
Checking the "menu bar" option merely adds another bar containing buttons for the k-meleon page and k-meleon forum.

I normally use Favorites, but I did just check to see if I could see a button to open the Bookmarks. I do see the button.

I am running KM76, but I use a version of the Klassic skin. The button is on the left end of the bookmarks bar. I also had to go to view > toolbars and check Bookmarks. Try a skin other than default.

Date: February 02, 2017 03:09PM

Cntrl+B brings up a bookmarks window.

Date: February 02, 2017 03:35PM

Thanks for the image.
By the way you can also open bookmarks by right-clicking them in this window.
There's a slight chance that pulling the URLbar a bit to the right could reveal more buttons on the left bar, but probably no more there.
Better chance: do you have a toolbar named "Browser Configuration" hidden?
That usually contains that button, if I read toolbars.cfg right.
But not sure, can't check myself on a new KM version right now, and wonder how that button pref works internally.

If it actually does appear on that "Browser Configuration" toolbar, and you don't want to see the other buttons on it, you can fully customize all buttons created by toolbars.cfg by using a text editor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 03:45PM by siria.

Date: February 02, 2017 04:36PM

Ok, this is so weird.

So you don't have the Bookmarks menu, you don't have the Bookmarks button, which means that the Bookmarks plugin is disabled, but you can bring the Bookmarks editor with CTRL+B and you can see the settings in the preference panel

At this poing I only have one idea and is garbage on preference settings after a crash on which depends the menu and button.

You can try to fix it:
  1. close K-meleon
  2. make a backup of your full profile (if you aren't sure where it is you can locate your profile folder by Edit menu > configuration > Profile Directory)
  3. edit prefs.js in the profile with Notepad (you can do this through about:config too) and remove the preferences starting with:
    1. kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks, except kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.load, which is the one telling K-meleon the bookmarks plugins is enabled (leave it to save you a new browser restart)
    2. kmeleon.toolband.bookmarks
  4. save prefs.js
  5. launch K-meleon again
  6. if it doesn't work, you can restore a copy of your backup again, don't worry.

Oh, by the way, you didn't tell the version you were using.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 04:40PM by JohnHell.

Date: February 02, 2017 05:53PM

JohnHell
So you don't have the Bookmarks menu, you don't have the Bookmarks button, which means that the Bookmarks plugin is disabled

LOL! You're right, didn't notice myself, but if the text menu is missing (and wasn't tampered with by user, very unlikely here) it can only mean the whole plugin is just disabled!
Only can't understand either that it's still possible to add bookmarks (how?) and show the editor.
Anyway:

At the very top is most likely the checkmark missing to switch ON Bookmarks??

Also wonder how this setting can suddenly vanish by itself...

Date: February 02, 2017 06:12PM

siria
JohnHell
So you don't have the Bookmarks menu, you don't have the Bookmarks button, which means that the Bookmarks plugin is disabled

LOL! You're right, didn't notice myself, but if the text menu is missing (and wasn't tampered with by user, very unlikely here) it can only mean the whole plugin is just disabled!
Only can't understand either that it's still possible to add bookmarks (how?) and show the editor.
Anyway:

The problem is that I already tested it and if it is disabled, the Bookmarks Windows can't be fired either with CTRL + B...

Also, when we asked earlier to heck Bookmarks bar in the settings, he was able, and when that checkmark is untick, the tabs for Netscape Bookmarks settings are unavailable.

That is the reason this is a very big mystery.

Date: February 02, 2017 06:23PM

JohnHell
the problem is that I already tested it and if it is disabled, the Bookmarks Windows can't be fired either with CTRL + B...

Hm, yeah then something must be really badly messed, if even the text menu is vanished sad smiley

Another thought, although not much hope if really broken:
Checking this button in the "bookmarks toolbar" means it's added to THIS bar, right? Perhaps this now creates some conflict, the button could be duplicate, the "normal" bookmarks button in the config toolbar PLUS the one in bookmarks bar. Would need testing too. But in general KM doesn't like at all duplicate buttons for the same function.

Date: February 02, 2017 06:24PM

siria
There's a slight chance that pulling the URLbar a bit to the right could reveal more buttons on the left bar, but probably no more there.

My bookmarks button is normally beside the sessions button.

siria
Better chance: do you have a toolbar named "Browser Configuration" hidden?

Only if it was hidden by default. I access the configuration via the edit button.

Date: February 02, 2017 06:43PM

siria
Anyway:

All appropriate boxes are checked.

Basically, everything was working fine, I closed k-meleon, when I next started it ...no bookmark button.

Someone mentioned a crash. For me, k-meleon is prone to crash when using Farcebook; everything is fine, then instant CTD with a message about "an exception breakpoint has been reached". I restart, OK the message about loading the previous session, and all seems normal. (Doubly irritating since FB is one of the main things I use k-meleon for; there apparently being some odd graphics issues between Firefox and FB lately.)

Date: February 02, 2017 06:50PM

fwiw

Date: February 02, 2017 06:54PM

BTW, K-Meleon/75.1

Date: February 02, 2017 07:00PM

Thanks, and perhaps also a screenshot of View>Toolbars...?

Date: February 02, 2017 07:36PM

@jgf, can you confirm that these steps haven't worked, please?

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,140755,140803,page=1#msg-140800

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 07:36PM by JohnHell.

Date: February 02, 2017 07:50PM

jgf
Checking the "menu bar" option merely adds another bar containing buttons for the k-meleon page and k-meleon forum.

BTW This is not the menu bar, it's the Bookmarks Bar itself (contains those 2 default links in the Personal Toolbar Folder). Exactly the bar which should show the missing button.

But your last post showed that with "button" you're not only meaning the "button", but also (or only?) the text menu in the menu bar.

You could also check how a completely new default profile would look, by creating an additional one (Edit / Manage Profiles / Ask at startup / OK / Restart browser / Profile NEW). This does nothing to the current profile folder, only adds another beside it.

Date: February 06, 2017 10:24PM

JohnHell
@jgf, can you confirm that these steps haven't worked, please?

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,140755,140803,page=1#msg-140800

"edit prefs.js in the profile with Notepad (you can do this through about:config too) and remove the preferences starting with:

kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks, except kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.load, which is the one telling K-meleon the bookmarks plugins is enabled (leave it to save you a new browser restart) "

Interesting. The exception - "kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.load" - is the one not present. Here is what I have (excerpt for brevity):

user_pref("kmeleon.general.searchEngineName", "Ixquick Metasearch");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.maxMenuLength", 9999);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.maxToolbarSize", 65);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.openurl", "ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_NEW_TAB");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.toolbarFolder", "Personal Toolbar Folder");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.fullscreen.hide_rebar", false);

Date: February 06, 2017 11:55PM

jgf
Interesting. The exception - "kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.load" - is the one not present.

Probably because it is a default preference, but if you look at the url about:config and search for it, you might have it set to true.

Anyay, did removing those preferences, mentioned in my earlier post, have any effect on your problem?

Also, have you tried a fresh new profile to see how it looks as Siria recommended to give a try?
How does it look? Has it missing the Bookmarks menu too?

Date: February 07, 2017 12:11AM

JohnHell
Probably because it is a default preference, but if you look at the url about:config and search for it, you might have it set to true.

Yes the profile prefs.js holds only the changed settings, NON-default. Those which also appear in bold font in about:config.

Date: February 10, 2017 02:09AM

Before I go further, here is what I have in about:config

Posted by: Andreas Chrisoforou
Date: April 10, 2017 07:11AM

Bookmarks button missing

Date: April 10, 2017 07:17AM

ebeneezer
I too have lost my Bookmarks button today. Could someone explain how to replace it? Even some link or path to find my bookkmarks and edit them would be helpful.

Date: April 10, 2017 07:17AM

jgf

Date: April 10, 2017 10:08AM

Andreas Chrisoforou
Bookmarks button missing

siria
user

BTW This is not the menu bar, it's the Bookmarks Bar itself (contains those 2 default links in the Personal Toolbar Folder). Exactly the bar which should show the missing button.

But your last post showed that with "button" you're not only meaning the "button", but also (or only?) the text menu in the menu bar.

You could also check how a completely new default profile would look, by creating an additional one (Edit / Manage Profiles / Ask at startup / OK / Restart browser / Profile NEW). This does nothing to the current profile folder, only adds another beside it.

JohnHell
Also, have you tried a fresh new profile to see how it looks as Siria recommended to give a try?
How does it look? Has it missing the Bookmarks menu too?

(... no answer ...)

Andreas Chrisoforou
Bookmarks button missing

Andreas Chrisoforou
jgf
After about three months of using k-meleon the "Bookmarks" button has disappeared. (...)

Andreas Chrisoforou
ebeneezer
I too have lost my Bookmarks button today. (...)

We're not clairvoyant here.
If you have a prob that the supporting users here cannot reproduce, you must assist a bit with screenshots and little tests on your problematic installation.

For example: which KM version? Which skin? Changed anything at it? Which button exactly and where exactly, mark it on a screenshot?? (there are several possibilities) Any effect if you rename the menus.cfg in your profile folder? Any custom extensions installed? Which browser language have you set? Etc. (...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 10:11AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.