Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Another reCAPTCHA bug, different?
Posted by: giro1991
Date: February 20, 2019 08:01PM

Hi, not sure if this is bug is seperate from the other recapcha bug previously identified on the forum...

The puzzle in question (shown below), typically I have to do it over-and-over 4 or 5 times before passage is granted, with each attempt being correct. Occurs on any websites with this click picture puzzle. However the same webpage in another browser (SeaMonkey) first attempt is a pass everytime so the problem is specific to k-meleon/goanna.

version/build info:

K-MELEON VERSION :
readme.html EN: ( -- )
version.ini: exe=33751048=2.3.0008 => in KM 76 Goanna77 weekly1 (20171215) +newer +?
platform-prefs: Goanna 3.4.2 20180824162357
platform.ini: MS 3.4.2 => in KM 77-Goanna weekly3 (20180101, ~PM 27.x) +newer
platform.ini: BuildID=20180824162357 / v3.4.2
general.useragent.vendor + vendorSub = ( -- )
Macros: injectJS returns OK

PROFILE inside KM (portable)
Skin: 'Default' / Privacy Toolbar: visible=false (if in skin?)
Language: menu=en-US / pages=en-US, en
navigator.oscpu = Windows NT 5.1
(OSCPU: NT 5.0=Win 2000; 5.1=XP; 5.2=XP64; 6.0=Vista; 6.1=Win7; 6.2=Win8; 6.3=Win8.1; 10=10)

GENERAL.USERAGENT.OVERRIDE (fake) = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
DEFAULT UA = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.0
general.useragent.compatMode.firefox = true ( ^ / KM74-76 / for addons?)
general.useragent.compatMode.gecko = false ( ^ / only KM74-Goanna)
general.useragent.compatMode = 2 (UA= Gecko+Goanna+FF+KM) (only KM77-Goanna)
general.useragent.site_specific_overrides = true (KM-Goanna or hacked 75/76: ...agent.override.example.com=Moz...)
kmeleon.install_firefox_extension = true (KM74-76)
xpinstall.enabled = true (KM7X, allow more xpi-Addons)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 08:05PM by giro1991.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another reCAPTCHA bug, different?
Posted by: Yogi
Date: February 21, 2019 07:37PM

Google shenanigan. Happens with Firefox 60esr on Win7 as well.
Those captchas are a free Google service offered to site owners. The bastards are trying to force people to switch to Chrome where it works at first attempt.

Date: February 22, 2019 09:55PM

In that case, why would seamonkey behave differently on the same webpage...

Do you mean to say that seamonkey has a paid-for license included?

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 22, 2019 11:05PM

But what site exactly?

Date: February 23, 2019 07:36AM

giro1991
In that case, why would seamonkey behave differently on the same webpage...
What I mean is that I did run into such a reCaptcha issue as described by you with the latest Firefox ESR as well.
If it works with SeaMonkey then the issue must be with K-Meleon.
As long as you don't provide the link and nobody can test, it's only guesswork.

Date: February 23, 2019 06:43PM

rodocop
But what site exactly?

It's happened on every site with recaptcha.

Yogi
As long as you don't provide the link and nobody can test, it's only guesswork.

Here's an example
https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item

( use this number for testing: 05029FE9FC6 )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2019 06:46PM by giro1991.

Date: February 24, 2019 12:59PM

Tested with the latest regular/weekly KM 76.1.1-Goanna (20190223) release.

Worked fine with the default settings out of the box.

Posted by: pejayuk
Date: February 26, 2019 10:54PM

Hi,

I'm having similar problems with sites that use Recaptcha. I can't get the puzzle checkbox to display at all though. I'm using K-Meleon 76.1 - Goanna 3.4.4 (Build 20190209). With XP SP3. In the 'about K-Meleon' it says........

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.1

Do I need to change this or any other settings? I've tried looking for help in the forum and suggestions of changing the User Agent, though I can't see how to do this.

Google Recaptcha help (https://support.google.com/recaptcha#6223828) says "If you're seeing this reCAPTCHA challenge, your browser environment doesn't support the reCAPTCHA checkbox widget".

Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this, very much appreciated.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: February 27, 2019 01:36AM

royalmail works for me too. At some other domains, I've had reCaptcha work most times and not other times. I suspect it's a bad, temporary sluggish internet connection during the times it doesn't work; haven't looked up the error.

Yogi
...Chrome where it works at first attempt.

Yogi, by "first attempt", how many new page flips page slide-ins? Like with royalmail I had to go through about 11 reCaptcha pages where the entire reCaptcha page slides-in to another page, by page slide-ins I mean where all reCaptcha blocks of pics change--which is very annoying playing a game of TIME vs proving human. I haven't kept exact track at other domain names; but, I know sometimes the reCaptcha is solved in perhaps half that amount of page slide-ins (5), I think one time even in like 3 pages.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2019 01:35PM by KM2005.

Date: March 04, 2019 05:23PM

page-flips is the problem exactly, yes.

Slow connection is a possibility, true.

It's not a grave bug, but I'm sick of seeing grainy pictures of buses, fire hydrants, chimneys and traffic lights!

Also;

I see no stairs, seems the AI is undermining itself lol

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 05:29PM by giro1991.

Date: March 04, 2019 05:34PM

pejayuk
Hi,

I'm having similar problems with sites that use Recaptcha. I can't get the puzzle checkbox to display at all though. I'm using K-Meleon 76.1 - Goanna 3.4.4 (Build 20190209). With XP SP3. In the 'about K-Meleon' it says........

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.1

Do I need to change this or any other settings?

Try changing default user-agent mode

Type about:config in URL bar and change
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9

to

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 05:36PM by giro1991.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 04, 2019 06:03PM

giro1991

I see no stairs, seems the AI is undermining itself lol

Actually it does what it should. The most people clicks on skip, the most would "understand/learn" that those stairs, aren't stairs.

Posted by: pejayuk
Date: March 04, 2019 07:17PM

@giro1991

Thanks for the suggestion. I finally think I've changed the useragent. (It is now saying firefox/60.0 in 'About K-meleon'). reCaptcha still won't load though.

Tried www.national-lottery.co.uk and royal mail link above.

This test does load and eventually I can complete it - so I've no idea what's going on.

https://patrickhlauke.github.io/recaptcha

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 04, 2019 08:44PM

Unless you have clean, fresh, untouched profile, have you already tested with a new Profile:
(command line or modified shortcut)
k-meleon.exe -new -P newprofilename

Posted by: siria
Date: March 04, 2019 11:57PM

Tried the royal mail above with ancient Opera12.02 on ancient hardware, and the images load!
Except, as usual, after a few rounds google breaks the connection for no apparent reason, but that happens rather randomly. Suspect it could also be related to slow connection or some overload (the images look like 2kB, but the scripts are ultraheavy!)

pejayuk
I tried the reCaptcha test you linked and it does seem to work. It loads okay, though I did have to go through many many rounds to complete it.

So I'm even more puzzled as to why it won't load on any website I've tried. It's almost like I'm being blocked by Google after my failed attempts the one and only time it did load.

Very interesting, so it's not Google who's blocking you completely...
Not sure if perhaps those sites are using different captcha versions...

Or an old cookie as culprit? Or one of the many other persisting storing methods.

pejayuk
I have Adblock Prime installed but disabled.

Just disabling isn't always reliable. In the palemoon forum are many discussions that those adblock thingees are stubborn, simply disabling often isn't enough, users are struggling extremely with that prob.
The culprit is probably the xul cache for addons (not the normal website cache.) Not quite sure where that's hiding now in KG76, but at any rate, each time after installing/removing/disabling addons, it's a good idea to delete the StartupCache folder in the current profile and restart. The next start may be rather slow, but only 1x because the browser rebuilds that addon cache stuff again.

JohnHell
Unless you have clean, fresh, untouched profile, have you already tested with a new Profile:
(command line or modified shortcut)
k-meleon.exe -new -P newprofilename

Ah right, of course. Or also possible by menu:
Edit > Manage Profiles > New (check "ask at startup" and restart)

Or best: make a backup copy of current profile (Edit>Configuration>Profile folder), then test with a completely new, fresh unzipped K-Meleon, unzipped into a separate new folder. Builds from here:
https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/
(some addons may be broken since 76.1 and 76.1.1)

Regarding the number of circling rounds in different browsers, a theory:
couldn't it also be privacy related? Meaning, if Google can identify the specific person very easily, as in their own max-spying browser, perhaps then they only run 1 symbolic round? Something like that WebRTC stuff for identifying users, which is removed completely in Goanna browsers. Or that marionet serviceworkers stuff which exists, but is disabled by default in Goannas, for more privacy/security? (enable "serviceworker" pref in about:config, only temporarily for testing) Or whatever helps fingerprinting, supercookies of any flavor, ajax etc
Here's a site for testing enabled browser features:
https://browserleaks.com

Date: March 05, 2019 02:36PM

siria

Except, as usual, after a few rounds google breaks the connection for no apparent reason, but that happens rather randomly. Suspect it could also be related to slow connection or some overload (the images look like 2kB, but the scripts are ultraheavy!)

No, it's not Google. Don't make them look more evil as they already are. smiling smiley
It's probably the combo of your old device and your connection.

siria

Just disabling isn't always reliable. In the palemoon forum are many discussions that those adblock thingees are stubborn, simply disabling often isn't enough, users are struggling extremely with that prob.
The culprit is probably the xul cache for addons (not the normal website cache.)

No, it's not the xul cache. Extensions make entries to the internal prefs. If you disable the extension, the entry in the pref remains. It's sitting there even if you restart the browser or uninstall the extension. Such entries can cause problems sometimes. Therefore a clean profile is the best to test with.

siria

Regarding the number of circling rounds in different browsers, a theory:
couldn't it also be privacy related? Meaning, if Google can identify the specific person very easily, as in their own max-spying browser, perhaps then they only run 1 symbolic round? Something like that WebRTC stuff for identifying users, which is removed completely in Goanna browsers. Or that marionet serviceworkers stuff which exists, but is disabled by default in Goannas, for more privacy/security? (enable "serviceworker" pref in about:config, only temporarily for testing) Or whatever helps fingerprinting, supercookies of any flavor, ajax etc

I doubt that Google is keeping a personal record of a billion people, at least as long as your real name isn't Angela Merkel. smiling smiley
However if you have a Google account than you might be lucky and get offered only the first round.
Supplementary rounds are for squeezing more informations about your settings and specs so Google can get more informations to "improve" the web to its like (not to your like) furthemore.

No need to drop your pants and no need to enable "serviceworkers" either, they are not related to reCaptcha in any way.
In my few tests, cookies and scripting were the only things I allowed.

Date: March 05, 2019 04:54PM

Yogi

However if you have a Google account than you might be lucky and get offered only the first round.
Supplementary rounds are for squeezing more informations about your settings and specs so Google can get more informations to "improve" the web to its like (not to your like) furthemore.

But, the need for 11-17 rounds? Just a huge waste of time on user end. I've stopped using at least one site and gone to another similar site over ReCAPTCHA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 04:55PM by KM2005.

Date: March 06, 2019 09:14AM

KM2005

But, the need for 11-17 rounds? Just a huge waste of time on user end. I've stopped using at least one site and gone to another similar site over ReCAPTCHA.

I never encountered 17 rounds during my tests so far, max 3.
I say "during my tests" because as much as I like the lizzard, it isn't my default browser.

Date: March 06, 2019 01:27PM

Yogi

I never encountered 17 rounds during my tests so far, max 3.
I say "during my tests" because as much as I like the lizzard, it isn't my default browser.

My average--from memory--and very often, is way more than 3. I've been counting. My guess is 5-15, not including the wasted minutes clicking the same category (same "round" of hydrants, cars, chimneys, etc--only counting new page slide-ins.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2019 01:36PM by KM2005.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 06, 2019 10:37PM

My longest experience with recaptcha is always on Google site itself (Google handles part of my ISP's IPs as suspicious somehow). Not above 10 rounds though.

Other sites need from 1 to 3 rounds usually.

And on Google you need just to log in to make recaptcha ask only 1 round.

Date: March 09, 2019 06:15PM

1-3 here too, I can live with this thou it's not frequent I visits such sites with recapcha.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 07, 2019 09:53PM

Sigh. Google ReCaptcha sophisticates their fingerprinting methods all the time (what a handy excuse: for fighting bots!)... and yes, if you have a google account, better be logged in:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-captcha-recaptcha
Google's reCAPTCHA test has been tricked by artificial intelligence
(....)
That ranking happens entirely in the background; there's no human interaction at all.
Google hasn't explained what goes into the bot-or-not score, but it appears to include the browser used, IP address, and whether they're logged into a Google account. After all, if Google knows it's you, it knows you're not a bot.

Worse and worse, after analyzing even mouse movement and other hidden stuff, Captcha's are now battling with Artificial Intelligence bots. It's clear where this will lead:
soon those AI bots will be more convincing to be human as real humans! Roles inversed...

(offtopic
But so normal today. Why do those evil hackers never land in jail or even get punished at all, no matter how much they steal and destroy and kill?! They just sit there in the dark and enjoy their prey, not having to fear anything, although funnily the robbed millions and billions do find their way into their pockets.
While global monopolies and politicians are glad to have an excuse to enforce limitless spying and incredibly tyrannic (EU) internet laws, to punish - perfectly innocent and helpful people, who haven't done any harm to anyone, often quite the opposite. Always punishing victims, hardly ever any perps, even by law - isn't it funny sad smiley Fully intentional. Sadly the same goes for real bloody violence, at least over here, cruel perps get all sorts of protection and support and help and sympathy, while... but I better stop now)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.