Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Trouble finding user defind macos folder.
Posted by: caktus
Date: March 24, 2019 03:00AM

Just downloaded and installed KM 75.1 and trying to customize it to my liking.

Every time I try to access the User-Defind Macors folder from Edit>Confuration>User-Defind Maros folder, it opens up the Documents folder. I know I could just use the regular Macros folder, but I'd like to keep User-Defind Macros separate from the natives. I deleted/rebuilt the IconCache.db, but that didn't help. I tried deleting everything KM and started over several times, but the same problem rears it's head. Can anyone tell me what it is I may be doing wrong and how to fix it? :s

I'm using KM 75.1 with Windows 10 (64-bit)

Best,

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble finding user defind macos folder.
Posted by: anonymous
Date: March 24, 2019 04:01AM

Add a folder named "macros" to user profile and optional to the profile folder in defaults for new profiles. I know you know this was answered before.

Re: Trouble finding user defined macros folder = Missing in default profile since 74 sad smiley
Posted by: siria
Date: March 24, 2019 12:27PM

(_bug_ Folders missing in default profile)

caktus
Just downloaded and installed KM 75.1 and trying to customize it to my liking.

Every time I try to access the User-Defined Macros folder from Edit>Configuration>User-Defined Macros folder, it opens up the Documents folder. I know I could just use the regular Macros folder, but I'd like to keep user-defined Macros separate from the natives.

anonymous
Add a folder named "macros" to user profile and optional to the profile folder in defaults for new profiles. I know you know this was answered before.

Thanks for reporting Charlie!
I'm shocked to see there's yet another completely unnecessary, supereasy-to-fix GUI bug ever since KM74, since so many years again sad smiley
The template folder for new profiles only has a "chrome" folder, but also needs an empty "macros" and "plugins" folder.
(in ...K-Meleon/browser/defaults/profile/)

In already created profiles users must create those folders manually if needed. And, of course, in first line should also be aware they can only fill those folders manually themselves, that in KM user-addons/extensions by default land in the general macros folder, unlike other browsers.

Wasn't aware of that bug either yet, or forgotten again. Aargh, am sure 99% (99.99%?) of new users rather just drop KM again when stumbling over such bugs, instead of taking the trouble to post in a forum sad smiley And those of us with an old KM profile never notice, just copying over our old profile folders. And if we do, it doesn't help much either, since none of us can fix download packages. Only a dev creating them, but usually only interested in engine stuff, hardly ever caring for GUI. So to this day still no menu access to "Open file..." any more (out-of-box, menu bar hidden), no menu access to addon management (about:addons), to other "about" pages, even the popular useragents macro was considered unnecessary and removed while Dorian was around and active for awhile but then left again, a native adblock-plugin without any menu macro for configuration, let alone help/info, instead misleading adblock patterns in default profile but only for ABP-addon, etc. And meanwhile KM is nearly dead, judging from forum koma.

PS @ Charlie:
KM75.1 is still listed as "current stable build", but based on old Gecko engine generation of Firefox31, meanwhile really outdated and broken on more and more modern websites.
Currently the only updated and much more 'stable', although unofficial builds are available here (thanks to roytam1) :
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,148500
All his versions also here:
https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/
or if inaccessible, try http://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 12:44PM by siria.

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 28, 2019 01:21PM

Howdy folks. Been a long time.

@anonymous

Sorry took so long in getting back. PC's been bugging out like it was infected with some kind of bug on steroids, though defender, avast,trend-micro, norton, super a/s and malwarebytes' kept coming up clean, and had to dump everything and restore Windows 10 all over again - oh well, stuff happens. sad smiley

Probably have asked about it at some time past. Been several years or so since I've used KM, it's almost like starting over for the first time for this old man - guess it's not easy to teach and old dog 'old' tricks. :cool: But ran into some problems with Disqus not letting me either see or post to discussion threads, even though it does let me login - can't seem to get it to work work with FF or IE (and IE is usually a pain anyway.) Works with Opera, but Opera overtakes default browser status at the cost of some features I need, narrator and auto-restart that I now seem to understand may not work with KM75, and Opera's default status has been impossible undo it without uninstalling Opera, so Opera was of no help, unless it's goal in life was just to p*** me off!

Created the User-Defined Macros folder and it now shows up in Edit > Configuration. However, it still opens the Documents folder. And now after having accessed Edit > Configuration a couple times, Edits' "Configure" sub-menu item no longer exists. Guess I missed or misunderstood something along the way. Perhaps there are so many cob webs in this old brain of mine that I need someone to hold my hand along the way. :s

@ siria

I too thought it had been dead! Yet, still it's the fastest browser I've used. Seems I recall having posted something in one of the KM forums a few months back and never getting a reply, so figured KM or at least the forum, was totally dead. So I was surprised that you and anonymous actually replied.

Everything at the links you provided are wanting to download as Notepad and I'm just not sure how to fix that problem. And K-Meleon 76 RC2 (2016-12-20) wants to download KM 75.1. :s As I alluded to anonymous, my mind just doesn't have the sharpness it once did. For now I'm going to run sfc /scannow, then if necessary work out reinstall Windows 10 - glad I maintain setup files for all my programs. Or maybe it's time for a new computer, this ones seven years old.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: anonymous
Date: March 28, 2019 10:48PM

@caktus
Some people had problems with permissions in modern Windows versions. If the menu is missing, use the link in about:support to find the profile.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.