Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Deviant Art blacked out in KM 76.2G 20191026
Posted by: gordon451
Date: March 20, 2020 02:46PM

What settings do I need to make DeviantArt work for me?

Basically, almost all pictures are blacked out, and the page seems to overflow all borders. IE11 shows most of the pictures, but the page is badly shifted out of alignment.

Is this something I can fix in about:config?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deviant Art blacked out in KM 76.2G 20191026
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 20, 2020 04:31PM

Not much actually, unless you have a registered used and switch to the old layout. As I do (but with K-meleon 75.0).

But you didn't give me much hope. I expected it to work on Goanna, at least, based, kind of, on Gecko 52, as it works on Seamonkey, based on Gecko 52, but I tested myself on a virtual machine and it doesn't work , even the latest Goanna.

It doesn't even let change the theme to the classic green instead that horrendous black.

Roytan, Palemoon guys, check why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2020 04:32PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 20, 2020 07:24PM

Some beautiful stuff there. What a pity they make the site so hard accessible sad smiley
Had given up on it years ago already, on my ancient HW the pages are even freezing due to sheer size and too much css sad smiley Only scrollable again after stylekill. And overall with old KM1.6 the whole site is just a mess of course.

Now played a bit with it again, example
https://www.deviantart.com/ascending-storm/art/What-Only-Exists-In-The-Mind-538756249

The images are hosted on wixmp.com, wondered first if that may be causing some forbidden XSS issue.
Then found adding THIS in adblock.css helps to unhide some images - for you too??

@-moz-document domain(deviantart.com) { 
div[style*="width"] {width: auto !important; height: auto !important;}
}

Highly suspicious culprit this parent-parent-div:
div class="_1LGGs" style="width:0;height:0"

Date: March 20, 2020 11:51PM

By the way deviantart comes with a predefined useragent in the engine!
Looked it up in a random version I just had at hand, 2020-01-18, but very well possible this default-override was changed meanwhile, or perhaps site-UAs are now disabled, or whatever....

From build 2020-01-18, omni.ja/gecko.js:
// The following requires native mode. Or it blocks.. "too old firefox", breakage, etc.
pref("general.useragent.override.deviantart.com","Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/27.9");
pref("general.useragent.override.deviantart.net","Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/27.9");

Date: March 21, 2020 12:43AM

Thanks for introducing me to gecko.js (or greprefs.js in PaleMoon) inside root\omni.ja

What a massive hardcodings there What a hard "work" waits to me the day I start using K-meleon Goanna

Anyway, the UA does nothing. It is the Goanna engine, from 3.x to the latest 4.x on PaleMoon, where all works, something might have done in the middle.

Posted by: anonymous
Date: March 21, 2020 01:12AM

No "Please upgrade your browser" warning with UA FF 43.0 (mobile supported) or newer. The div class name Siria's generic code modified was _1LGGs today.

Date: March 21, 2020 12:57PM

siria
Then found adding THIS in adblock.css helps to unhide some images - for you too??

@-moz-document domain(deviantart.com) { 
div[style*="width"] {width: auto !important; height: auto !important;}
}

Er... I don't use any adblocker? I've never played with overriding page design either.

For what it's worth, Pale Moon 27.9.4 doesn't like Deviant Art either sad smiley

Date: March 21, 2020 01:15PM

gordon451
Er... I don't use any adblocker? I've never played with overriding page design either.
For what it's worth, Pale Moon 27.9.4 doesn't like Deviant Art either sad smiley

Of course, you can just as well put it into
currentprofile (Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory) / chrome / userContent.css
(or whatever method anyone uses for "userstyles")

Personally I'm only prefering its neighbor file "adblock.css" because in old KM-versions it can be toggled on/off during sessions. And of course, if using the adblock file, it must first be enabled (F2 > Page Display > Content Filters: css adblock).
The userContent.css is always active anyway.

Or for simple quick testing of css or js code, injecting it not automatically but only manually be menu, recommend macro "testinjectcode"
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,149453

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 01:23PM by siria.

Date: March 21, 2020 04:48PM

gordon451

There you have. It is an engine version issue. On latest PaleMoon 28.8.4 all goes fine.

Date: March 22, 2020 08:46AM

JohnHell
Thanks for introducing me to gecko.js (or greprefs.js in PaleMoon) inside root\omni.ja

What a massive hardcodings there What a hard "work" waits to me the day I start using K-meleon Goanna

Had thought that crucial default-prefs file is long since known, under various names of course, IIRC have mentioned it occasionally after learning about it finally some years ago. Yeah, dropped off the chair too after first noticing it. It can be really helpful, due to the few comments inside about what's what. But it exists since forever already, in KM1.x was a standalone file in KM/greprefs/all.js

Just to make clear for passing readers that this is not some new KM-Goanna thing. That file just grows a bit with every new engine version. In old KM76RC2-gecko that file had about 162kB, current new Goanna has about 170kB.
For example the chapter with various site-specific useragent strings is a rather new addition, maintained by palemoon devs, and since end of PM27 by roytam1 in his forks (NM27+KG76). That chapter does make sense to greatly reduce the number of "broken" modern websites. Just thinking that those entries should IMO better be included in a separate file outside omni.ja, in the usual defaults/preferences/ folder, for advanced users to easier discover and customize. But oh well.
It's still possible to just copy those lines manually into a new file and store it there, then change contents as wished. Settings in defaults/preferences folder have a higher priority, overriding same entries in omni.ja.
Tip: if someone wants to get rid of such a predefined UA completely, without needing to mess inside omni.ja, open about:config and do not "reset" the line, instead only set its string to an empty value. Have tried that 1-2 years ago, hopefully still works.

JohnHell
Anyway, the UA does nothing. It is the Goanna engine, from 3.x to the latest 4.x on PaleMoon, where all works, something might have done in the middle.

Sure, lots of stuff breaks in older browsers when website authors use the most 'modern' css+js methods. But occasionally luckily we can still help ourselves with such little tweaks. So, since gordon doesn't like userstyles, can you tell if that size-snippet improves anything in your KM75?

JohnHell
It doesn't even let change the theme to the classic green instead that horrendous black.

The dark theme comes defined as body class:
<body class='theme-dark'>
<body class='mobile theme-dark'>
Which makes me wonder if a little userscript would work? In KM1.6 this does "something", but overall the page is too broken in it to tell if this would really work fully in newer browsers?
javascript:document.body.className='theme-light';
javascript:document.body.className='mobile theme-light';
or universally:
javascript:document.body.className=document.body.className.replace('theme-dark', 'theme-light');

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 08:54AM by siria.

Date: March 22, 2020 03:10PM

siria
JohnHell

Had thought that crucial default-prefs file is long since known, under various names of course, IIRC have mentioned it occasionally after learning about it finally some years ago. Yeah, dropped off the chair too after first noticing it. It can be really helpful, due to the few comments inside about what's what. But it exists since forever already, in KM1.x was a standalone file in KM/greprefs/all.js

I ever thought that the preferences where binary hardcoded (in some jsm), not a plain text file in omni.js. I never had the initiative to check them far, beyond the already "accesible" .js files that come with K-meleon with hardcoded preferences in the root browser\defauts folders.

You are right, so. Thanks for any info.

What kills me and made me scream, actually, are certain hardcoding as site specific preferences and, sorry, but let me chose what I want for sites, and if they don't work, I'd do my best, MY way.

siria
JohnHell

can you tell if that size-snippet improves anything in your KM75?

The CSS code above? No. Anyway, I don't care as on K-meleon 75.0, as a registered user, and as most old DeviantArt users, I use the old layout and with CSS tricks, or not, the site isn't usable on old engines, so, most probably I'll stop using it for a while. There is no point on CSS tricks when DeviantArt relies a lot on JS since years that even the most basic actions don't work now with this new "Eclipse" interface for a few years old browsers.

There is no point. Long story short. Engine update, engine update, engine update. That is the only fix I consider myself for DeviantArt.

siria
JohnHell

The dark theme comes defined as body class:

Probably, but I'm not going to test it further. As said above, with the user option, I'm sticky with the old layout. Switching back to the old layout when you switch to the new one is a pain in the ass, and as the YouTube script the past weeks, if I don't need it, I'm not going aboard that boat. I'm tired on battling against sites designs.

Testing the above CSS in a new profile, and this one, wasn't funny even on a new fresh profile. There is no need for the pain.

Sorry for those expecting help from me. No way. There are better things to do in life than continuously battling with sites.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 08:54PM by JohnHell.

Date: March 23, 2020 09:52AM

JohnHell
Sorry for those expecting help from me. No way. There are better things to do in life than continuously battling with sites.

No worries John, I agree with you. I'll upgrade my Pale Moon, and wait for Roytam1 to find a solution for KM.

[OFFTOPIC]
It would be nice if the "Send link to" context menu could be configured to take other browsers smiling smiley
[BACK ON TOPIC]

Date: March 23, 2020 02:45PM

gordon451
[OFFTOPIC]
It would be nice if the "Send link to" context menu could be configured to take other browsers smiling smiley
[BACK ON TOPIC]

You can create as many sub-macros as you wish (changing their names so don't create conflicts) as was guided here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,128203,128221#msg-128217

Using that as example, just replace all references to FlashGet to you new program nickname and the path, and voilà.

You place the resulting text in a new .kmm file and place it in your profile macros folder (if it doesn't exists, create it first, or just drop in the K-meleon root macros folder, whatever is best for you).

Read the whole thread if you have further doubts.

If you wan to improve it, check ie.kmm in the root macros folder. Use it as base for other browsers if you prefer it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2020 02:47PM by JohnHell.

Date: March 23, 2020 03:43PM

JohnHell
I'm tired on battling against sites designs.
Testing the above CSS in a new profile, and this one, wasn't funny even on a new fresh profile. There is no need for the pain.

Yeah sure. Thanks for this little test anyway.

That's why I'm more and more mighty glad that I can partly help myself, thanks to KM and macro-skills and some sketchy css and js bits. But otherwise would be lost. Of course that ongoing battle with modern sites and old engine is a pain, and I keep cursing whole evenings, but when it turns successful - ouf! So now, yet another site finally readable again in KM1.6 thanks to a major chapter of user-css. After avoiding deviantart since a few years, can now view single pics again, and galleries, and have working links again to single pics from those galleries smiling smiley And JS-engine probs don't matter here, it's disabled anyway.

Date: April 22, 2020 11:18PM

I've been switched. No way to go back to old theme anymore.

Date: May 16, 2020 09:15PM

@JohnHell
Try again. Closed some tabs today and found Sira's deviant link. Switched to classic green and found two cookies with settings.

Date: May 16, 2020 10:08PM

I was able to switch back from Seamonkey a few days back, but, anyway, in 3 days they will permanently switch to the new theme, or those are they plans.

Date: May 16, 2020 11:16PM

@JohnHell
You said the old layout is only available for registered users.
Thanks for all the hints. It helps testing fresh builds.

Date: May 16, 2020 11:24PM
Date: May 17, 2020 04:13PM

@JohnHell
Looks like something that the cat brought in. It would be more interesting to know if theme change described in msg-151953 started working again in one of your K-Meleon versions.

Date: May 17, 2020 05:48PM

I think I haven't explained myself enough.

The site isn't working on any K-meleon when the new theme layout is applied (it is not only the look, but all scripts that use the latest features; and not only the scripts, the interface doesn't react to user interaction with a mix of CSS+scripts).

So to change it back to be usable for K-meleon (all versions, as no version can handle the Eclipse theme, even latest Goanna as uses "only" 3.x that lacks something) I used my account through Seamonkey 2.49.5, which still works (and should be later) with the new Eclipse theme (but I'm not happy with using it instead K-meleon on DeviantArt (too much customization not available on Seamonkey)), and revert back the setting as, from the beta testing, or not enforced time, or any name we could apply to it, was/is (till May 20th 2020) available as a preference for registered users.

So, sorry for the long explanation, Eclipse is not working on any K-meleon version and the old, while is still available (few days), it is working on any K-meleon.

The "why" of why not use the site with a compatible browser (i.e. Seamonkey) is because Eclipse's Deviantart became the same as YouTube 2020, lots of shit-load and absolutely slow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 05:50PM by JohnHell.

Date: May 17, 2020 10:30PM

@JohnHell
I never had an account there and don't know the difference between eclipse and old version. Just followed deviant links posted in this forum every few years. To answer my own question, I've extracted some KM backups and got script errors in old Gecko 39 based versions which fail to change theme.

Date: May 18, 2020 12:48AM

I see, the best to see the difference is to use archive.org from last year to now.

Also take note that I use the theme word as both meanings.

Above (where I complain about the colors), the green theme is the colors of the website. It has been green, or greenish, since the beginning, and is not a matter of color, but a matter of comfort (not blinding (white), not blinding, either (black)). People have been complaining a lot about removing it for the new Eclipse..., until they created one.

In the other hand the Eclipse theme is the new layout (the same as YouTube has done), a total revamp of the site, with new technologies (CSS and Script versions).

Beyond the colors, one of the features that doesn't work in Eclipse is the change of the color theme, but that is not the only one... There are quite a few that doesn't work on K-meleon. Even with Seamonkey (latest 52.x GRE) some are... buggy.

But beyond that, if the purpose is to view images, the site is usable. With little hacks (CSS), I'm almost sure the images can be shown and it is not a big deal (as siria did above) but my concern, as an user isn't in if the images can be seen. The site is now broken for K-meleon.

Now that I think about it, maybe I routed this thread off-topic, as maybe you are concerned just on show images, but that is not the whole problem with DeviantArt on K-meleon. Surely, even with the out-of-the-box feature "show pages images" function (not tested) could be shown.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 12:50AM by JohnHell.

Date: May 18, 2020 08:07PM

@JohnHell
Eclipse uses some java-script features that Firefox had in 2015. Experimental KM versions show all images and switch themes on Siria's test page. The Arctic-Fox developer is pretty close. Themes are black, white and mint green. Black is default, but a cookie named "userinfo" can change it. (TIP) That cookie configures theme color even if java-script is disabled.

Old KM browsers can do a much better job if they use a macro to add commands to menus, replace placeholders with images and flood everything with custom colors.

Date: May 18, 2020 08:31PM

You got serious about it

Date: June 19, 2020 05:22PM

I correct myself, DeviantArt isn't usable by the browser engine, the whole interface is unpractical to use, it is pure garbage. Double the clicks for the basic tasks.

Even with little tweaks here and there and forgetting bugs due the obsolete engine, DeviantArt, embracing the damn polyfill framework, as the new YouTube layout, is overbloated. Hundreds of megabytes of RAM, of kilobytes of transfers on every page load..., that it is... impossible to deal with. Even if the engine supports it, you need plenty of RAM and plenty of free CPU cycles.

The worst has been the explanations given a few days back that this was necessary blah, blah, blah, and that people like it...

Maybe the new, that didn't meet the old page

Why they do these things to the sites Future they call, advance..., let me doubt it. It didn't really had nothing new and removed a lot of features.

Sorry for the rambling here, it is discouraging.

The site has been always dynamic, but oh my..., oh my...

Date: June 19, 2020 06:33PM

JohnHell
Why they do these things to the sites
Future they call, advance..., let me doubt it. It didn't really had nothing new and removed a lot of features

IMO the same reason everywhere since years, and quite obvious: To FORCE the complete population worldwide, as many as any possible and don't let anyone escape, onto the newest machines with the newest and best Trojans+Spyware included out-of-box, and with no chance to avoid or remove it. Since a couple years even embedded directly in CPUs I've read, and even SD-cards come with their own hardcoded CPU+software directly in the chips. Truly no escape anymore. Just IMO of course ;-P

Date: June 19, 2020 09:30PM

That is too much sci-fi tongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 19, 2020 09:57PM

If the world would consider taking down the pink glasses of wishful thinking and instead just look at what IS, what is really DONE by today's people in power everywhere, often despite outraged mass protests, and look which outcomes they produce, if the world would not blindly believe everything they phonily pretend, merely because in the far, FAR past some 'good' people had been in power, who did positive things, the truth would become clear as glass. Again, and again, and again, and again... everywhere, their 'incomprehensible' actions which only 'accidentally' and of course 'unintended' and 'unforseeable' produce negative outcomes for other people, would suddenly all start making 'sense'.
(sorry for monster phrases, lol! ;-P)

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 20, 2020 07:54PM

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by neglect!" (с) :drool:

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.