Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Profile cannot be loaded
Posted by: peaceandlove
Date: March 13, 2021 09:20PM

Hello everyone,

I just downloaded it and I could never make it work.

I prefer add a few precisions.

I installed k meleon, I didn't just download the executable.

Installation is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon".

Default profile has for name xy0u6e5z.default and is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon\Profiles". It's the only profile for now.

I wonder what I should do. I'd prefer not to reinstall it if possible. Perhaps deleting the default profile or creating another profile would do the job. I only discovered k meleon very recently, I'd prefer to have more experienced people to tell me. It doesn't work with all websites but when it does it's fast and it seems easy to customize.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Profile cannot be loaded
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 14, 2021 01:46AM

version? operating system? Could you copy (ctrl+c) and paste here the error window text (when the error warning is active)?

Date: March 14, 2021 10:36AM

Greatings,

My OS is Windows 10. I think I have Kmeleon version 75.1 because 1. it's the latest stable version 2. according to Windows Explorer my K-meleon.exe file was last modifed on September 10th, 2015.

The exact error message is "The selected profile can't be loaded. It's already in use or the profile folder is not accessible".

https://i.postimg.cc/qvKtwG24/Kmeleon-profile-cannot-be-loaded.png

Then I come to the Manage Profiles screen.

https://i.postimg.cc/fRYLmRhb/Kmeleon-manage-profiles.png

When I go on the profile's properties in Windows Explorer, it seems to be partly in "Read only" mode ("Lecture seule" in French). I wonder if it might be the, or a, cause of the issue.

https://i.postimg.cc/8zT5dVkB/Read-only-mode.png

I think I opted, during the install, to have a single profile for all Windows sessions. That's why the profile is in a subfolder of the Kmeleon install, rather than the appdata, I think. I wonder if it might be linked to the problem.

Thanks to anyone trying to help me. And I hope I haven't forgotten anything this time (not sure though...)

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 14, 2021 04:51PM

peaceandlove
Greatings,

My OS is Windows 10. I think I have Kmeleon version 75.1 because
1. it's the latest stable version
2. according to Windows Explorer my K-meleon.exe file was last modifed on September 10th, 2015.

I corrected the Downloads page. Despite what it tells, and even though 75.1 is the latest stable on Gecko engine, you should use, if you use Windows XP with Service Pack 3, or above, the Goanna engine based version.

peaceandlove
The exact error message is "The selected profile can't be loaded. It's already in use or the profile folder is not accessible".

https://i.postimg.cc/qvKtwG24/Kmeleon-profile-cannot-be-loaded.png

Then I come to the Manage Profiles screen.

https://i.postimg.cc/fRYLmRhb/Kmeleon-manage-profiles.png

When I go on the profile's properties in Windows Explorer, it seems to be partly in "Read only" mode ("Lecture seule" in French). I wonder if it might be the, or a, cause of the issue.

https://i.postimg.cc/8zT5dVkB/Read-only-mode.png

That is the most probably, that you don't have rights to read/write the folder. If you are an Administrator on Windows 10, you can easily fix it, or just drop K-meleon folder (the Goanna 7-zip version, as it is the latest web standards compatible) elsewhere out of Program Files. The enforcement on permissions on Windows 10 may be making K-meleon installer incompatible. I can't guide you further on that windows version, sorry, but there are a few talks in the forum about this problem.

Search the forum winking smiley

peaceandlove
I think I opted, during the install, to have a single profile for all Windows sessions. That's why the profile is in a subfolder of the Kmeleon install, rather than the appdata, I think. I wonder if it might be linked to the problem.

Thanks to anyone trying to help me. And I hope I haven't forgotten anything this time (not sure though...)

I can't guide much on Windows 10, as I told, but is known that is very restrictive on what folder can have write permissions or not, nor about installations, I always dropped the K-meleon folder wherever I wanted instead use the installer.

Or wait for others to help smiling smiley

Posted by: siria
Date: March 14, 2021 08:32PM

(_howto_ toggle portable profiles)

Yeah, old prob since Windows doesn't allow portable programs (=internal profiles) in protected folders anymore, unless users manually give write permission to the PROFILES folder.
Additional prob in KM:
settings land not only in user profile folder, but in other program folders too.
E.g. skin stuff is by default in the global SKINS folder, which should get manual write permission too (or better, copy it manually into profile folder too).
And also by default since some years, very sadly, toolbars.cfg is even only in the browser/defaults/settings folder, where it gets overwritten/reset with every KM-update again! Very strongly recommend to copy this file ALWAYS into the /skins/default/ folder too.

HOWTO to toggle the PORTABLE setting:
Make KM un-portable by simply removing/renaming the empty file "K-Meleon/profile.ini".
That will create a new profile folder in appdata at next start. The old portable profile folder still exists too, it remains inside the KM program folder. Its contents (old settings) can manually be copied over into the new profile if wished:
Edit > Configuration > Profile Folder

But this only affects the profile folder itself. Skin stuff must still be copied into it manually.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2021 08:42PM by siria.

Date: March 19, 2021 05:55PM

I uninstalled it but when I reinstalled it I have had the same problem.

I made the Standard Installation and it didn't change a thing.

K meleon is again in C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon, my profile is in C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon\Profiles\xy0u6e5z.default and again I cannot load it.

I thought that by installing it the standard way it would change something. I have again the same message "The selected profile cannot be loaded. It's already in use or the profile folder is not accessible. I've wondered if I could do it by creating a new profile. But when I click on "New", the "Locale" row is grayed.

I'll try to install it somewhere else later.

Date: March 19, 2021 06:45PM

Hello again,

I could install properly and have a profile running - eventually. I opted for the custom installation and the profile folder in Appdata.

Third time is the charm, it seems.

Now I'd like to know how to block ads. Best would be to use the built-in blocking ability, I think there is one (but I'm but a beginner...), rather than an add-on that can be detected by some websites and prevents to go on the websites that detected it.

Posted by: TF
Date: January 18, 2024 11:10AM

I had exactly the same problem on my Win10, solution for me was : rightclick the k-melon icon and "run as administrator". have not tasted if it works to right click and run it on other profiles.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.