Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Is K-Meleon a "server"?
Posted by: 2ndFace
Date: August 23, 2000 01:37PM

Hi! When I start K-Meleon, my personal firewall ("ZoneAlarm") wants to know if K-Meleon is allowed to act as an _server_!
But why?? K-Meleon is no spyware, isn't it? ;-)
Keep up the brilliant work!
-2ndFace

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Is K-Meleon a "server"?
Posted by: Ben Efros
Date: August 23, 2000 09:55PM

No, k-meleon is not a server. It may utilize a socket somewhere that might trip a wire in that "ZoneAlarm" software somwhere, and you should probably report it as a bug to ZoneAlarm.

By the way, "personal firewall" software like that is not truly as protective as you may wish. To form a secure firewall you NEED a separate box with two network cards and certain rules that only allow the passing of "allowed" packets. Firewalls protect at the network level, not application.

Posted by: 2ndFace
Date: August 23, 2000 10:04PM

thanks for your reply, but i know the problems of "personal firewalls" and i know what it means when ZoneAlarm reports a server warning. it seems that k-meleon binds to a socket waiting for connections - strange. there is no such warning when i start mozilla, btw. so i still want to know what's going on there...

Posted by: Trey Chandler
Date: August 29, 2000 03:36AM

This makes me curious. I love K-Meleon so far. Grab the source and poke around. I would bet I need to go to sleep so I can get up tomarrow.

Posted by: Mike
Date: September 18, 2000 11:32PM

The same problem occurs with Napigator (www.napigator.com) I only mention this because of the name that both programs show in Zone Alarm as an "MFC Application." I believe that to be the culprit. Not a problem, though... probably

Posted by: Dass Booty
Date: October 15, 2000 05:08AM

I get the same warning with Zone Alarm 2.1.25. It seems to want to use port 3263, 3372, 4795, 1238,1616 it changes each time. Does any one know exactly why this is?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.