Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Almost there....
Posted by: Xiadix
Date: May 15, 2001 04:28AM

There are two things that are stopping me from using K-Meleon(.4) instead of IE.

1. It isn't reading my existing IE favorites. I will grant that I have too many of them, but even when I deleted enough that it should work the favorites don't. I enabled Favorites via the plug-in menu, but no luck. Favorites worked for .3

2. It doesn't remember screen position. I understand that having a multiple monitor setup makes that harder.

My system is a Win98, and I have re-installed K-Meleon sever times.

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Almost there....
Posted by: Jeff
Date: May 15, 2001 04:10PM

1) What is the path to your favorites? Is it the same as what is defined in the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER,\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\favorites ?

2) It's not meant to remember screen position, since opening a second window would exactly cover the existing window. Does it correctly remember window size?

-- Jeff

Date: May 15, 2001 08:01PM

1. I didn't have that entry. I added it and now the Favorites work...at least most of them. Now I will wait patiently until the max number of favorites is increased.

Thanks Jeff!

2. Yes it does IF I leave it on the second screen. If I move it to the first screen, it defaults to the orginal size.

Date: May 15, 2001 08:15PM

Max favorites is currently 512, do you really have more favorites than this?

I'll look for a way of making this unlimited.

Date: May 15, 2001 09:13PM

Didn't one of the people say they had more than 900? I currently have 561.

I was amazed how much longer it takes to load with the favorites working. Without them K-Meleon started almost instantly. Extremely faster than IE. With them it is about on par.

Xiadix

Posted by: Brian
Date: May 16, 2001 03:17AM

I just rewrote the favorites plugin (or at least a major part of it). hopefully it should be much more speedy. If you'd like to test it, you can find this version here:
http://binaryc.teamreaction.com/kmeleon/favorites.dll (note, tihs version has only been tested for a few hours, so it may very well melt your computer).

In the old version, it defaulted to c:/windows/favorites if it didn't find the directory in the registry. For some reason this was removed (I don't know why, do you Jeff? *cough*cough*)

Date: May 16, 2001 03:31PM

Feedback on the new favorites DLL.

Loads a little faste.
Orders the favorites differently (I can live with that).
It also adds Link\ to everything in that directory.

Date: May 16, 2001 05:19PM

> In the old version, it defaulted to c:/windows/favorites if it didn't find the directory in
> the registry. For some reason this was removed (I don't know why, do you Jeff?
> *cough*cough*)

In the old (and now again in the new) version it didn't bother to check that c:/windows/favorites exists, so on a computer with no registry entries, and no favorites directory, it crashes on startup. Trying to guess the favorites dir is a bad idea anyhow, since it's not always going to be c:\windows\favorites. Perhaps calling SHGetSpecialFolderLocation instead of reading the registry entry would be a better solution, and if it doesn't succeed, it is safe to assume that there is no favorites folder.

-- Jeff

Date: May 16, 2001 06:47PM

doesn't SHGetSpecialFolderLocation just read from the registry? even if it does, it still sexier than the current method I suppose.

Posted by: toco
Date: May 18, 2001 02:30PM

Having in mind that favorites slow down the lovely kmeleon - is there a way to disable favorites? I don't need them.

toco

Date: May 19, 2001 06:00AM

yep, go in to preferences, click plugins, click favorites, then click enable/disable. there should be no check mark next to favorites. then restart kmeleon.

Posted by: toco
Date: May 19, 2001 09:09AM

This is incredible.

I thank you guys so much for writing this wonderful browser. smiling smiley

toco

Posted by: Marc Gueury
Date: June 01, 2001 05:54PM

The difference of the startup time is so big that you should maybe think to
ask about it during the installation procedure.

Something like:
- Use your netscape bookmarks ?
- Use your Internet Explorer favorites ?

Now, it starts incredibly fast. Cool.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.