Bug with some sites
Posted by: lott
Date: June 15, 2001 02:38PM

Sites like www.fileplanet.com or 3Dactionplanet.com aren't rendering correctly. There is this huge horizontal scrollbar and if I scroll all the way till the end the text of the site will be there.

How comes?

Re: Bug with some sites
Posted by: scratch
Date: June 15, 2001 03:16PM
Date: June 15, 2001 04:01PM

So this will not be solved in a new version??

Too bad, since Internet Explorer doesn't have a problem with them.

Date: June 15, 2001 08:45PM

M$IE is not as standards compliant as the Gecko rendering engine.

Posted by: joe
Date: June 16, 2001 04:12AM

If a site has bad code, that is there responsibility to get it fixed, not K-Meleon's to "guess" what the code should be. Drop the site a line and tell them to get their act together and get standards-compliant.

Date: June 16, 2001 07:51AM

What that kind of crap is this?
I mean there is no browser in the world which is strict when it comes to interpreting HTML. Now, all of the sudden this thing is as strict as can be????????
Come on, that's crappy. There will be a lot of sites who will not render correctly, just because this thing is so damn strict.
Not very userfriendly now is it?

Date: June 16, 2001 07:49PM

There are plenty. Netscape, Mozilla, and Opera come to mind immediately. There is only *one* browser that I know of that operates otherwise: M$IE. Try thinking of it this way. If you had written C++ code and left out all of your closing braces, you wouldn't expect it to "guess" that you meant to put them there and compile anyway, would you? Why should web design be any different?

Date: June 17, 2001 07:40AM

Netscape ain't strict at all. I ain't talking about the shitty version 6, I'm talking about 4.7. To get certain things to work in Netscape you'll need to make bad code otherwise it just will not work!!!
Yeah well, C++ ain't very userfriendly now is it? I mean you can have a problem and look for a solutions for quite some time. And then it seems you forget one small thingy. Not userfriendly at all. Creating webpages should be userfriendly. Almost everyone has it's own webpage.

Posted by: Talkendo
Date: June 17, 2001 11:51PM

Gee, man. If you don't LIKE a standards-compliant browser, stick with M$IE or Netscape 4.7. Creating webpages IS still user-friendly, if you know what you're doing. If you're hand-writing your HTML, you'd best be sure to know the standards and stick to them. If you're using (heavenforbid) FrontPage or something like Dreamweaver, you'd better make sure their software generates standards-compliant code. There's a standard for HTML for a reason. Namely, to ensure that no matter what OS, what hardware, or what browser you're using, that same page views the same everywhere. We've been getting away with non-compliant HTML for years. Why? Because in the battle of the browsers, both M$ and Netscape wanted new features, so they created tags that were non-compliant and only supported by their browsers. Well, M$ 'won' and wasn't about to say, "Oh, well, we've won, so NOW we'll do things the right way." Please. They had what they wanted and kept going with it. Netscape was no better. At least until they got to working on the Gecko engine. Now, hopefully, all those non-compliant sites will get their collective butts in gear either when they see all of us complaining about not being able to view their sites, or when their traffic starts to decline, because we won't bother to stay at a site we can't see. If you don't like it, then stick with what you're doing. We'll just pass you on by.

Date: June 18, 2001 12:00AM

4.7 is very picky about some things that M$IE isn't. For example, try not closing a <table> tag and see how it renders.

Posted by: jEFF
Date: June 18, 2001 06:37PM

Standards compliance is a laudable end.

That said, some unusually wide page renders, seem attributable to something other than non-compliant HTML. This page: [http://www.stana.net/content/submission.htm] has minor W3C issues, yet renders well in IE, NN (4.x & 6.x), and Opera 5.0.

Perhaps the lack of support by K-Meleon .4 for [input type *file*] may be the culprit for the excessive horizontal scrolling in the table following the offending input tag attribute.

Is there another explanation for excessive scrolling in K-Meleon?

For the most part, this seems an excellent browser.

-jEFF

Posted by: Mark Tim
Date: June 18, 2001 09:03PM

Many people happen to use that unholly alliance of Frontpage and Explorer, the first deliberately inserting wrong code which only Explorer renders correctly, as it has built-in Frontpage error correction. I don't mean non-standard cods, I mean REAL bad coding.
I had to debug somebody's site and I found all this unbelievable stuff. The creator had no knowledge of HTML and used Frontpage straight from the box. If one can tell me that replacing the slashes in a folder address with the ASCII characters '03' is just non-standard, then one of us is mistaken.Watch out for Frontpage 2002.

Regards,
Mark

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.