Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Pops up blank windows when accessing site with sel
Posted by: jacob childress
Date: October 07, 2001 07:43PM

Hello,

I'm trying to access the site https://www.cpl593h.net/. This site uses a self-issued and self-signed SSL certificate that was issued using OpenSSL. Normally, one could install (in Mozilla or IE) the site's root CA cert so that the browser would trust the site certificate. I don't see an interface for this in K-Meleon.

The immediate problem, though, is that the site is not reachable at all using K-Meleon. When attempting to access the site, two blank windows with no menubars or toolbars pop up, and the main browser window does not change. Weird, eh? I've tried to find other sites to reproduce this with, but I don't know of any offhand that use self-signed certificates. The site is accessible using Mozilla or IE, so my hunch is that K-Meleon doesn't know what to do with a site that doesn't use SSL certs that it recognzies.

Thanks,
jacob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pops up blank windows when accessing site with
Date: October 07, 2001 07:43PM

By the way, I'm using a fresh install of K-Meleon, but just to be safe, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, which didn't help.

Posted by: po
Date: October 08, 2001 06:32AM

well, geez... why would somebody wanna go make their site all problematic like that?

oh yeah, i forgot... that's how progress gets made... =)

Date: October 15, 2001 06:42AM

well, i found another site that uses self-signed certificates, and it's a red hat site:

https://listman.redhat.com/

it's quite easy to issue your own certs using OpenSSL, which is nice since commercial CA's are so expensive.

Posted by: Michael Kallas
Date: October 30, 2001 07:14AM

Same seems valid for web.de.
http://web.de/l/fm/b/s/?id=011030-*CXoH-00
They have their own TrustCenter, and yes,
under Mozilla you are asked if you want to remember their certificate if you
access their site(s) for the first time, as I remember.

--Michael

Date: November 05, 2001 04:10AM

This problem also occurs in K-Meleon 0.6. Of course, I completely uninstalled 0.5 before installing 0.6.

Date: November 08, 2001 08:03AM

0.6 gives another little clue when this problem occurs. When the blank window pops up, an error dialog is displayed that reads:

The file /C:/Program%20Files/K-Meleon/chrome/packages/core/newserver.xul cannot be found. Please check the location and try again.

Of course, this file is not present anywhere on my computer. I hope this helps... I really do hope that this bug is fixed. This issue is presently the only thing keeping me from using K-Meleon on a daily basis.

Posted by: Kirk biglione
Date: November 10, 2001 01:10AM

Same problem here. Using version .6 (fresh install). When accessing a server using a self-issued certificate a blank window pops up as others have mentioned.

The certificate in question was created with the OpenSSL package and I'm using it on my development box for testing purposes. Guess I won't be testing w/K-Meleon until this gets resolved.

Posted by: Peter
Date: March 08, 2002 08:07AM

Have enyone resolved this problem. We run K-meleon on a Citrix Terminal server.
And my user like a fix of the problem. We have rule in k-meleon in our software policy.
Its run as default browser on our workstations.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.