Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
NS bookmark plugin problems and misc problems
Posted by: Aardappel
Date: November 01, 2001 03:08PM

- ns bookmarks:
* fix the 1024 (?) bookmarks limit, very annoying
* sometimes reports "save changes to bookmarks" for no reason
* allow to add bookmark directly in the right folder
* better icons or better yet: no icons
- allow override font settings
- not pop to the front on "open in new window"
- show current in progress downloads somewhere?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NS bookmark plugin problems and misc problems
Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 01, 2001 03:37PM

Re:

- Override font settings: You can do this in the prefs.js file. You can find the font settings here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/mozpref.php

- Not pop to the front on "open in new window": Use the Open in Background option.

- Show current in progress downloads: This works when downloading a file from a URL link but not when right-click "Save As". We are aware of this bug.

Andrew

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 01, 2001 08:09PM

why, may I ask, do you have more than 1024 bookmarks? I have been trying for days to conceive of a reason in which that many bookmarks would be useful. I have about 40, and I still can't ever find the sites I'm looking for. Having that many bookmarks is obscene, I don't consider it a bug.

Posted by: po
Date: November 01, 2001 08:28PM

i can see how it could happen, but at that point, it's no longer a bookmarks/favorites reference, it's a database, and should be managed with something more appropriate than a light browser, i reckon.

1024 limit
Date: November 02, 2001 04:18AM

Andrew: thanks for the help!

Brian/po: you're making assumptions on how other people use bookmarks. Yes, I have 1500 odd of them, but until I tried Kmeleon I never knew they were that many.

I have my bookmarks carefully organized in tree format, up to 3 levels deep. As such on a specific subject I may only have 5 or 10 bookmarks. To me, it is really useful, and certainly not a "database".

Besides that, I don't see why one would code such a limit, if the only point of the plugin is holding bookmarks in the first place. Surely throwing in a simple realloc() for nutters like me is not a lot of work.

Re: 1024 limit
Date: November 02, 2001 04:46AM

> Brian/po: you're making assumptions on how other
> people use bookmarks. Yes, I have 1500 odd of them,
> but until I tried Kmeleon I never knew they were that many.

well, now ya know! =)

i was actually trying to express sympathy; i probably have more 'favorites' (that's such a stupid name for them... sheesh) saved than the folks developing the program, from the sound of it... and i keep them categorized several directories deep, too... but i wouldn't reasonably expect a project of this nature to make handling vast numbers of them a priority. on the other hand, if there are no real difficulties in easing this stricture, it seems kind of silly not to do so... it's an open source project; all that's needed is for somebody who shares your dillema to take up the challenge, i suppose.

maybe somebody will.

i don't assume that people do things the same way... that's why i like the degree of configurability that this browser has, and look forward to there being even more.

viva.

--- po

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 02, 2001 07:38AM

The reason the limit is there is because plugins have a hard limit to the number of commands they can have. When you add a bookmark, you actually add a new command to the menu (k-meleon gets, "command 32" rather than "favorite 4"). However, looking back at the code, I think we could change that limit to something like 5000 without causing problems. I don't think anyone has *that* many favorites (of course, i said the same thing about 1024)...

Date: November 02, 2001 08:34AM

well, see? you keep jinxing yourself. ;-)

Date: November 02, 2001 05:43PM

po: sorry for misunderstanding you then smiling smiley
I know I could fix the problem myself, but I am sure it be more convenient if whoever is most actively maintaining that plugin does it... I didn't know about this "command limit" anyway.
Brian: 5000 sounds a good improvement.. will keep me adding bookmarks for a long time smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.