Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Seems that all the config files cannot be located
Posted by: Dallas T. Johnston
Date: November 02, 2001 08:05AM

Installation Path: c:\Apps\k-meleon-yada-yada
Description: -
Upon first install, all runs well, but when closing the app and opening it again I am prompted to choose the profile. I select default, and it seems that when the app loads it cannot locate the menu (or any other for that matter) config files.
I tried to un- and reinstall into the default (read: c:\program files\k-meleon-yada-yada) directory, but the problem persists. What can be done to avoid this? Is there some registry setting that points to a default path that can be changed by hand? I'm at work, so I really haven't the time to go mucking around in the Window's registry to find this out.

--cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seems that all the config files cannot be loca
Posted by: po
Date: November 02, 2001 08:45AM

you may want to read this thread:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1151&t=1151

doesn't look like anyone's figured it out yet, though.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 02, 2001 01:44PM

Dallas,

What permissions do you have on Win2K? Admin, Power User or User?

Andrew

Posted by: earthdark
Date: November 02, 2001 06:34PM

Yea,

Here's another thread (started by me) on the same problem,
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=936&t=936

It looks like all of us that are effected are using oriental-language packs that alter the system files. Dallas T. Johnston's host is *.kthree.co.jp so I figure he's either using Japanese Win2000 or English Win2000 + language support files.

So maybe, somewhere in K-Meleon's config loading code, it's giving a path in the wrong format that Windows expect? ie: Some of my files that are named in Japanese cannot be opened by English Windows.

- ED

Posted by: Myen
Date: November 04, 2001 07:35AM

Actually, as noted in the other thread, I am using English Win2k. The _files_ themselves are all in English; this includes all UI elements and DLLs. All paths are English too, since the language support was added after first boot. Besides, the Chinese people don't seem to like renaming "Documents and Settings" and such since Chinese isn't exactly usable under DOS. However, the system codepage is set to 950 or some such. So all ANSI text is interpreted to be MBCS.

I'm guessing that the code to find the directory where everything is, for some reason, is using strange characters (extended ASCII, where high bit is on) that get interpreted as being the first half of a double-byte character. I'm trying to look at the source, but being as incompentent as I am, got lost after 5 secs. smiling smiley Maybe compiling (after porting of course) to Unicode would help, but that would be not supporting all Win9x platforms. Not good.
Will uninstall and reinstall now, and try to add the files from the langpack in one at a time to see what, exactly, fixes the bug. Does the langpack installer do anything, other than copy up to 8 files into \components? If there are registry entries or whatnot, they could cause it too.

Oh, Andrew, just so you know, I'm logged in as Power User, so it doesn't need Admin rights.

Posted by: Myen
Date: November 04, 2001 07:56AM

(Sorry for spamming, but just realized I didn't have to uninstall)
For me, the key was having the uvctw.dll in components. This made sense, since my system has default locale of zh-tw. The file seems to be actually from the Mozilla source tree. And it seems that Mozilla exhibits the same bug, as removing the ucvtw*.dll (there's two in Moz 0.9.4 for some reason) made Mozilla not find my user profile. Perhaps a bug needs to be filed at Mozilla's bugzilla? I will leave that to you guys.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.