Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Amazing Kmeleon
Posted by: Fulvio Perini
Date: November 17, 2001 04:33PM

I ended up removing Kmeleon0.5 after seeing that it was not all so great.It is ok,it is a great idea,but it needs a lot of work.One of the things that made me remove 0.5 was the fact that not only the bookmarks were not manageable,but that Kmeleon did not copy my Personal Toolbar,but Cut them from NS6.1.This time as I posted just before bookmarks are still a problem,and Kmeleon pilfered my 6.1 Personal Toolbar again.Except for the couple of items already present,I see nothing but a gray bar,and I cannot do anything by trying to "Manage" the bookmarks.Now,why going after 6.1,which is in the D drive,beats me.
How do I get my own stuff back in Netscape6.1?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amazing Kmeleon
Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 17, 2001 06:00PM

First step should be to install 0.6. Then we can work from there.

Andrew

Date: November 18, 2001 03:46AM

I was complain about 0.5,but the same thing is happening with 0.6.Now what?

Date: November 18, 2001 04:37AM

I have been playing around with my Netscape6,and when I copied the bookmark file which missed the Personal Toolbar items to a newly created Profile,there was nothing in the toolbar except for a couple of things which come from Netscape.But,mind yo that the Personal Toolbar is still in the Bookmarks,except that whatever I chose cannot be displayed.But if I copy another bookmark file,it displays.If anyone may wonder how I have no many bookmarks,etc.,and why am I disturbed by this.It is because I am comparing several Netscape6x and Mozillas,and thought that Kmeleon
would fit,but I use differrent bookmark files.And,Kmeleon fouled things up by corrupting the bookmark file or how it displays.

Date: November 18, 2001 04:50AM

Now,one more thing.On exiting Kmeleon,I get this box:Netscape Bookmark Plugin
The Bookmarks file was not created by this plugin.etc.
It does not matter if I check yes or no,or disable the thing.i keep getting the same message.And,all this for some silly bookmarks.

Date: November 19, 2001 10:58PM

I waited long enough,so I bid you goodbye.Kmeleon is plain dangerous.

Posted by: Matt
Date: November 20, 2001 08:38PM

Er... it's not eating babies, or setting fire to your pets. It's not "plain dangerous". Use reasonable language, please. It's like on the same line as calling script kiddies "cyber terrorists".

For what it's worth, I also get the "The bookmarks file was not created by this plugin" message on one of my computers; I'd set it to various emulation modes previously, though the issue only started happening after
A) My first added bookmark
cool smiley Installation of JRE 1.3.1_01

I'd think it was due to the (A) and nothing to do with (cool smiley, but you never know. :-)

It's nothing but a minor annoyance on what is shaping up to be an excellent browser. Thank you, developers, even if you can't reply within 15ms of me posting ;-)

Personal most-annoying bug:

TEXTAREA fields resizing themselves and reformatting the whole text as I type long entries in pages such as livejournal.com comments.

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 20, 2001 09:04PM

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: November 21, 2001 11:16AM

I think Fulvio has made a point.

A) I suffer from the bookmark problem as well and in spite of comments I made and questions posed, there is no response on it.
It deteres me to use K-meleon as my main browser.

cool smiley There are scary things happening, which in spite of them being raised , no answer is coming.

I feel like shouting in the air and hoping someone hears.

Nevertheless I will follow for a while progress on the isues raised and the solutions offered, as I do with Moz 0.9.5 and on.

Bernard

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 21, 2001 06:35PM

in the last version, the bookmark plugin wrote to the bookmark file after you shut down. we heard thousands cry out, 'k-meleon should not overwrite my bookmarks without my permission!' so we added the box, 'hey, this file was not created by k-meleon, do you want to save anyway?' and we still get yelled at. good grief, i know the bookmarks aren't perfect, but as pointed out above, they don't eat small children, they don't even overwrite your old bookmarks anymore (unless you tell it to). and the answer has come, a few times, but no one ever bothers to look for the answer themselves. Answering the same damned question 40 times gets old you know.

Date: November 22, 2001 10:02PM

I scanned again the post for remarks on bookmarks and none of the 40 answer gives me a clue why in my case bookmarks don't work at all.
I have no bookmarks being opened by K-meleon.
I can't add bookmarks.
I can't thus save bookmarks.

I am no developer, so I need guidance to diagnose the problem., even if it isn't reproducable elsewhere.

If I don't get guidance, I'll wait for 0.7 and see if it's soved then.

I hope so, as a browser without a bookmarks functionality, is like a car without petrol.

Bernard

Posted by: DJ
Date: November 23, 2001 06:44AM

did you get those microsoft files that it says about in the read me I know I needed them to be able to do that they update somethings in windows so you can ...

Date: November 23, 2001 10:39AM

I was already up to IE 5.0.
I checked the other library updates and except for one file (mfc42u.dll) I was already at a much higher level.

Cause of this I fear, that downloading and applying this library fix will do more harm on my system causing other programs to be effected.

Thanks anyway for the remark.

Bernard

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.