Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
MFC42 on Windows98
Posted by: CK Watts
Date: November 27, 2001 12:50AM

I installed K-Meleon 0.6 on my Windows 98 (not SE btw) and when I try to activate K-Meleon I get the following two error messages.

1) The K-Meleon.exe file is linked to missing export MFC42.dll:6491.
and
2) C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I found out about the MFC42.dll but on WinNT, so I installed the Library Update, but that did not fix the problem.

What's the problem and the workaround?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MFC42 on Windows98
Posted by: Magnus Eriksson
Date: November 27, 2001 10:56PM

I have seen this bug too. (in relatively cryptic Swedish) I also tried version 0.5 but got the same error message.

The poll to the left on my screen, "How often do you use K-Meleon?" will fill up with a lot of "Never" pretty soon if this isn't solved..

Posted by: G Coombes
Date: November 28, 2001 03:29AM

My son and I have both been stopped by this error condition. I hope a solution is available.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 28, 2001 05:37AM

Does anyone have MFC42.dll installed on their machine? If so, what version of the file is it?

Andrew

Date: November 28, 2001 05:56AM

Hello folks,
I took the tiger by the tail and spent some time searching the internet and Microsoft support trying to find the answer. I figured out what the problem is (was now that I'm running K-Meleon to write this message). You get that error MFC42.dll:6491 if you are using too old a version of MFC42.dll. K-Meleon needs a newer version (at least the one found in Windows Millenium). You can download a version of MFC42.dll that gets K-Meleon up and running at the following web site: http://www.uforesources.com/dlldownload.html

Installation is tricky though. You have to unzip the file and shut down to DOS. Move to the folder you unzipped MFC42.dll into, for example c:\windows\desktop and copy MFC42.dll to your system directory. Say yes to overwriting, reboot and your done. K-Meleon should now work. Assuming of course there aren't other files that are too old to run K-Meleon.

Date: November 28, 2001 06:30AM

Ck,

What version of the file did you end up installing?

Andrew

Posted by: Jeff
Date: November 28, 2001 02:26PM

I know the ordinal is different, but did anyone actually try the download listed in the FAQ? http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#trouble1 The link in there should be to the latest MFC42.dll

Date: November 29, 2001 05:33AM

Andrew,
I ended up installing version 6.00.8267.0 of MFC42.dll.
Incidently I installed the newest Visual Basic 6 Runtime files and COMDLG32.DLL and got a very pleasant surprise. Icons in the right click menus. Really cool. I like this browser.

Date: November 29, 2001 01:07PM

CK,

Where did you get the files?

Andrew

Date: November 30, 2001 02:16AM

Sorry Andrew, My goof.
You can find the needs Dlls, Runtimes and several others at
http://www.uforesources.com/dlldownload.html
Just scroll down the list, the MFC42 file and COMDLG32 files are right next to each other. Just download, unzip and install. Then all you need is a simple reboot and you can run K-Meleon.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.