Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
some java applets dont work
Posted by: Kathy Reid
Date: January 09, 2002 07:18AM

Hi
I am using the 0.6 version of kmeleon and JRE2 1_3_1_02 on windows 98 SE. Some java applets do work in kmeleon but one of the major ones that dont work is the ones on Yahoo! Games (http://games.yahoo.com). I tried Chess on this site but the applet window doesnt open when I click on a room name. i am not using any pop-up window blocking feature in or out of K-meleon so this shouldnt be causing any problems. Also applets from most other sites work fine so this isnt the problem either. Can anyone help me? or is this a bug? will it be fixed in next release?
thanks
Kathy Reid

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: some java applets dont work
Posted by: sven
Date: January 09, 2002 08:34AM

Confirmed, it doesn't work indeed. What other sites dont work, can you post the addresses? I used to play chess on Yahoo way back in '99 and this was pleasant reminder, I'll proabably check in there again some time smiling smiley

Date: January 09, 2002 09:57AM

hi
thanks for your reply and now atleast I know that it isnt just me. Sorry but I cant recall the other site that I was having problem with java.
Kathy Reid

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 09, 2002 11:47AM

Kathy,

The problem probably isn't with K-Meleon itself. It's either a problem with how JRE is handling the Java applet or the applet that Yahoo! created isn't compatible with the current version of JRE. I'll try some more testing to see if we can isolate the problem.

Andrew

Date: January 09, 2002 07:56PM

thanks for your reply Andrew. I think I forgot to mention that the Yahoo! applet works in Opera 6, Mozilla 0.9.7 and Netscape 6.2.1 using the *same* version of JRE on my system.

Date: January 09, 2002 08:39PM

Try copying NPOJI600.dll into K-M/plugins and see if it makes any difference.

Date: January 09, 2002 11:25PM

hi sven
thanks for your tip. But it didnt help. The problem is still there. If I understand correctly K-meleon had already recognised that file from the java directory into its plugins.
Kathy Reid

Date: January 09, 2002 11:51PM

Kathy,

It sounds like it might be an issue with Javascript and opening windows. That was an issue that was recently fixed in the version of Mozilla that we are using (embedded). Once we get a beta built of the next release, I'll test that out to see if it is resolved.

Andrew

Date: January 10, 2002 05:42AM

Thanks Andrew. I hope this will be fixed soon in the next version of kmeleon.
Kathy Reid

Date: January 10, 2002 06:07AM

If you have older Netscape installed on your system (4.x) then K-M may be using its older version of Java. Check about:plugins and see which Java plugin is listed first.

Date: January 10, 2002 10:42PM

no i dont have a Netscape 4.x. About:plugins lists "Java Plug-in 1.3.1_02 for Netscape Navigator". It is correct and works with some sites.
Kathy Reid

Posted by: andres
Date: January 11, 2002 06:35AM

I have heard that some java applets have been made with MS Java Virtual Machine in mind and indeed fail to work with Sun's Java. I have also encountered non-working Java on the web sometimes; I always thought this was the case. It would be a good idea to check whether those sites work with Java in Opera (which also uses Sun's JRE). Unfortunately I cannot do that since I don't have Opera and Java on the same computer.

Date: January 11, 2002 06:59AM

Good point. I checked it with Opera 6 / JRE 1.3.01 and it did load all the game applets. My guess is that Kathy's KM still tries to use wrong plugin. The plugin which it should be using for Java applets is NPOJI600.dll which is meant for Netscape 6 instead of NPJava32.dll or NPJava131_01.dll which are built for Netscape 4.

Posted by: andres
Date: January 11, 2002 08:33AM

If that really is so, there seems to be no harm in deleting all npjava*.dll files from the hard disk for good unless the user has Netscape 4.* installed. And maybe that recommendation should be included in Java Documentation here, too. Sven, can you indicate the source for your information about the use of Java plugin files (maybe there should be a link somewhere for those who are interested)?

Date: January 11, 2002 10:09AM

i have said this before that I dont have Netscape 4.x so how can I have the older plugin? And I also think there is some problem with the javascript new window opening in kmeleon like Andrew said before.
Kathy Reid

Date: January 11, 2002 10:55AM

Plugins for older Netscape get installed with JRE regardless of whether you have that browser or not. They only get registered accordingly in case you have that particular browser present.

Have a look at the plugin dll names, that way you can be sure which plugin(s) it uses. There also should read "Java Virtual Machine for Netscape 6.x" under correct plugin.

Perhaps this is Javascript problem, I can't exactly spot it.

Date: January 11, 2002 11:32AM

I'll try to track downt the Mozilla bug that deals with javascript and windows opening. The problem for Kathy on the site isn't Java - the window that includes the applet never even opens.

Andrew

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 11, 2002 10:21PM

I have arranged, that I have only the javaplugin for NS 6.x available in KM as well as Moz 0.9.7

With KM I have the same problem as Kathy, so it's not a question of javaplugins for 4.xx (npjavaxx.dll)

With Moz it works.

In fact the problem occurs when trying to open rooms of other games as well.

Bernard

Date: January 12, 2002 04:10AM

true! the window never opens in K-meleon, but it does with Opera/Mozilla using the same java plugin
Kathy Reid

Date: January 12, 2002 06:25AM

I believe it is this bug:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=88229

It has been fixed and if it made it into the current release of Mozilla, it should be fixed in oru next release,

Andrew

Posted by: Timoch
Date: January 27, 2002 04:18AM

Here is another site that the java doesn't work on http://twistedtunes.com/
but it doesn't work using Opera5 either.

Date: January 28, 2002 05:19AM

Timoch,

Where in that site does Java not work?

Andrew

Posted by: chris k
Date: April 10, 2002 09:10PM

how do i rectify the problem of not being able to acces the yahoo pool site?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.