Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
computer freezup
Posted by: Tom
Date: January 15, 2002 05:38PM

First I want to say that I like your browser a lot! It's very fast! I'm running a 56k modem with an AMD 800 Athlon processor-Windows ME. After about a !/2 hour of surfing, my computer freezes and accepts no commands at all-incompatibility? Sometimes the back button stops working, too. Also, it would be nice to be able to change websites like with the explorer, with a mouseclick, instead of 'Return'. Mainly, I'd like to know if others have been experiencing problems with 'computer freezup', and if this bug can be fixed. The Java Applets work just fine, if a bit slowly. I speak English and German, and can get by in Italian an d French-info in any language at all would be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: computer freezup
Date: January 15, 2002 07:56PM

I see that the browser doesn't like my Email addi: tsilverboerg@gmx.de

Posted by: sven
Date: January 16, 2002 05:44AM

You can change visited sites with right-clicking on "back" button just as in IE if thats what you mean.

As for freezing - does it hang on particular web-pages? After using Java? Does it hang without other programs running as well? Have you tried Mozilla, does Mozilla freeze your Windows too?

Have you had lock-ups with other programs too? Or perhaps some visual artifacts on some cases? In that case that could be faulty video drivers. ATI has had reputation for producing instable drivers and lately some NVidia drivers tended to produce lock-ups with GForce cards running on VIA chipsets.

Date: January 16, 2002 06:43AM

Thanx for your advice-as I look at my other problems and am using a Gvidia card- I think I'll look around for new drivers!

Posted by: Nick
Date: January 17, 2002 10:38PM

<a href="http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/">http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/</a>;

"Winner: Science Fiction
Kirk's mind raced as he quickly assessed his situation: the shields were down, the warp drive and impulse engines were dead, life support was failing fast, and the Enterprise was plummeting out of control toward the surface of Epsilon VI and, as Scotty and Spock searched frantically through the manuals trying to find a way to save them all, Kirk vowed, as he stared at the solid blue image filling the main view screen, that never again would he allow a Microsoft operating system to control his ship.

Mike Rottmann
Reno, Nevada"

Windows!

Nick smiling smiley

Posted by: Greg Bair
Date: January 18, 2002 09:25PM

actually, sven, i think he means he wants a Go button at the end of the URL bar.

Date: January 18, 2002 09:53PM

There you go! You know-I'm American-but I learned 'computerese' in Germany, and in German- sometimes I don't know the jargon in my native tongue- I know how Captain Kirk feels too!

Posted by: sven
Date: January 19, 2002 06:27AM

Aww...

Tom, just say then that "I want my GO button, dammit!" and we'll all understand smiling smiley

Date: January 22, 2002 10:26PM

Well shitski-the krauts don't say 'go'! If you say 'go' here in German, it means 'get the hell out of here!' Thanx for the info, by the way-it's the graphic card-it doesn't do well with AMD cpu's... :-(

Posted by: John
Date: January 31, 2002 07:27PM

This might explain my probs... I am using an AMD machine and an ATI card, However I am also using it on a P III with ATI card and am experiencing the same thing.

It seems to lock when Plugins are used often.

The last lock up on the AMD I noticed that 2 instances of the JRE were open at the same time, however the last time it locked on the P III Java was not open but the page I was on had several SWF animations on it.

I think it may have something to do with plugins although it could just be the ATI drivers are junk.

Date: February 01, 2002 09:23PM

It happens sometimes when I switch from site to site-and almost every time when I try to print aPdf file without saving it first-the drivers are, I'm afraid, crappola-no help in sight :-(

Date: February 06, 2002 10:07PM

Try going to the desktop and into the graphic card specs-put a check before the thing that says something like 'deaktivate further CPU orders'- Sorry I only have it here in German from a very reliable publication called 'CHIP' here in Germany- so far no crash anymore! TOM

Posted by: etcetera
Date: May 08, 2002 03:27PM

i'm running k-meleon on an AMD K6-2 500mhz with 256mb ram and windows98SE. infrequently, k-meleon will freeze up my entire computer, much like the way described here (display freezes, computer accepts no input from keyboard/mouse) when trying to navigate through slashdot.org (of all sites (!)). currently (8 may 2002) it's happening when you try to answer the poll from the front page. sometimes ctrl-alt-del will reboot the computer, sometimes i need to hit reset on the case. any ideas?

Posted by: rmn
Date: May 09, 2002 05:30AM

Same problem here with an ATI card and driver, but only if I use IE-based browsers and Opera. Mozilla-based browsers (Mozilla, Netscape, and K-Meleon) run nicely.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.