Java won't work
Posted by: Brandon
Date: March 29, 2002 05:38PM

On my computer I have the Java 1.3.1 that came with Netscape 6.2 and it worked fine with that, but it won't work with K-Meleon or Mozilla. I've even redownloaded it from Sn and it still won't work on either. I don't think it's a problem with my Java version since it did work fine with Netscape 6. This is probally a bug with Mozilla, but it's too hard to get help from that community(it's to big), so I figured I'd ask for help here since the bug does carry over to K-Meleon. The version of K-Meleon I'm using is 0.6.5 build 44, and my Mozilla version is 0.9.9, and if I'm not mistaken theses are the based on the same Mozilla version, but Ion't think it's a bug in this version, I had the same problems with Mozilla 0.9.7 and 0.9.8 so it could have something to do with Mozilla not incorporating Java well to begin with. I'm using a rather early version of Windows 95, so the problem could be poor Java integration, but the plugin does work with Netscape 4.6 and 6, and I believe it also works with IE 5.5, so it's probally not a defective plugin. Has any one else found a way around Mozilla's Java problems(or has anyone else had the problems.

Re: Java won't work
Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 29, 2002 07:15PM

Brandon,

First thing to test is to see whether K-Meleon is "seeing" the Java install.

Type:

"about:plugins" in the URL bar and see if the Java plugins get listed. Check back in with the answer.

Andrew

Posted by: brandon
Date: March 29, 2002 08:51PM

No it's no "seeing" Java. I don't think it's aware that Java is installed.

Posted by: Elango Cheran
Date: March 29, 2002 10:53PM

Have you checked the release notes for Mozilla 0.9.9? Under the Java section of "Installation Notes", they show how to configure jre1.3.0_01. Under the Java section of "Known Problems", they give a brief explanation of how to get it to work for pre-existing JRE 1.3.*

So one of these 2 options, or a modification of them, oughta do the trick. The instructions also work for K-Meleon (just copy the same files to K-Meleon's "plugins" folder).

I have a pre-existing jre 1.3.0_01 working with all new installations of K-Meleon now, without re-downloading jre.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: March 30, 2002 03:19AM

Just to add to the confusion... my K-M gave me much flak about java until after a recent Windows(98SE) reinstall (emergency, ow). Suddenly all was smooth. I was about ready to dump java, it was such a pain. Kept complaining that I was using the wrong plug-in. So I., at least, can blame it all on Windwoes.
The JRE1.3.0_01 came with Opera, on ISP disk.

Posted by: Brandon
Date: March 31, 2002 06:25PM

I didn't think to look at the Mozilla release notes, I was looking more at support oriented pages that were of no help, but I did get it working, so thanks. For a minute I though I would have to go back to Netscape 6 to to use Java.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.