Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Visited Link Colors
Posted by: DigitalOnes
Date: April 09, 2002 06:18AM

I'm having some difficulty getting kmeleon to color the visited links for me.

Attempted the fix listed here:

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/kmeleon/khistfiles.htm

To no avail. Even tried the beta drivers.

Anyone have any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Visited Link Colors
Posted by: po
Date: April 09, 2002 07:18AM

are you using 0.6? if so, you want the older set of files listed. you're putting them in the \components\ directory? they worked for me... one thing to check is that you're testing them on a site that actually lets you use visited link color; if they override it with CSS, nothing will happen... like on these forums, for instance. you could check for the presence of a history.dat file in your profile folder, too, since that would indicate they were working...

Posted by: Andrew
Date: April 09, 2002 10:15AM

A good test site is Yahoo. Like Po said, make sure you use the correct files for the correct version. Also, when you update prefs.js, make sure that you have exited out of K-Meleon and the Loader, if you are using it.

Andrew

Posted by: DigitalOnes
Date: April 10, 2002 02:45AM

Thanks ya'all got it working finally (with a nice bright red color no less)

I utilized the first set of files first -- deleted the component.reg file -- no luck

utilized the second set of files -- deleted the component.reg file -- no luck

Tried again: Swapped the second set with the first set -- deleted component.reg file -- Happy Daze.

Go Figure!

Posted by: D.Rider
Date: April 11, 2002 07:18PM

Mine always show as purple despite doing what was suggested on the web page (http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/kmeleon/khistfiles.htm) and setting the color to "#FF0000".

Posted by: po
Date: April 11, 2002 11:01PM

purple is the default... are you sure this pref still exists in your prefs.js file?

user_pref("browser.visited_color", "#FF0000");

sometimes adding it to a user.js file works better...

Date: April 12, 2002 04:56PM

Yes, it is still in prefs.js. What is user.js?

Date: April 12, 2002 05:32PM

D Rider,

User.js is a file that resides in the same directory as prefs.js. You can add the same preferences to user.js that you can to prefs.js. When K-Meleon loads, the preferences in user.js are added to prefs.js. The advantage of using user.js is that if your preferences in prefs.js get wiped out for some reason, K-Meleon doesn't touch user.js. So the next time it loads, your preferences will be added back in.

Andrew

Date: April 12, 2002 07:31PM

I haven't noticed any problem with prefs.js being wiped out; everything in it seems to stay. The problems I do see is that most modifications (of those I want to do, such as helper apps and Real audio and visited links color) don't work as others in the forums suggest. Real audio never works; only gives me the option to download and then never bothers Stardownloader even though I added the extensions into it for its responsibility. I have no idea why Word will run when I remove the Stardownloader plugin now and not before when I had tried that previously. And of course as this thread is about, the visited links are always purple.

Seems that prefs are loaded sometimes? and not always? even though the line entries are always present.

Date: April 12, 2002 08:38PM

D. Rider,

Are you using zero's in your pref? Can you copy the line from the pref. file here?

Andrew

Date: April 15, 2002 05:37PM

user_pref("browser.visited_color", "#FF0000");

Date: April 15, 2002 05:54PM

D. Rider,

Try deleting the line from prefs.js and adding it to user.js. Also, make sure to test it on Yahoo! and other sites that don't have defined visited link colors.

Andrew

Date: April 16, 2002 02:29PM

I didn't do anything today, but I noticed to my surprise that the visited links now show in red! Don't know what changed but I am happy.
Thanks.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.