Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Virusscan URL blocking bypassed
Posted by: D.Rider
Date: May 10, 2002 04:00PM

I was tooling around with the McAfee VirusScan 4.51 URL blocking (child safing) and noticed that the sites are available through KM while they are successfully blocked when using NS 6.2 and IE 6.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virusscan URL blocking bypassed
Posted by: Mark
Date: May 11, 2002 01:56PM

Um, that's a feature. ;-)

My guess is that it only knows to block certain executables, and KM isn't one of them. If you really want that fixed, take it up with McAfee. Or it might work to rename "k-meleon.exe" to "netscape.exe" - but that's a long shot. Another thought is that it might be setting itself up as a proxy server for NS and IE; check the proxy settings for NS and see if it's set to use "localhost" or some such. If so, use the same proxy settings for KM and that should work - but that might not be how it does it at all...

Date: May 13, 2002 01:39PM

Well, then I should be able to duplicate this with another alternative browser. Are there any out there (not Opera) that can be suggested that aren't merely new face-overs of IE or NS? (IOW, not using the IE & NS programs)

Posted by: Zeiram
Date: May 13, 2002 02:15PM

The Off by One browser is the first name that came to my mind. Small (1.1Mb), free, fast... I think it should prove ideal for this kind of testing. I don't know if it does support proxies though.

URL: http://offbyone.com/

Regards,

Zeiram

Date: May 13, 2002 02:48PM

OK, I just installed and ran OffByOne. Does the same thing - opens the so-called blocked URLs. I agree, it must be a McAfee issue. Thanks for the help.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.