Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-Meleon fails to load with plugins
Posted by: Fred
Date: September 24, 2002 10:58PM

Hi all!

Picked up on the new Phoenix release on Slashdot and decided to try out K-Meleon. The browser itself looks nice and clean plus it loads up fast.
Good work guys!

The only problem I've had so far is that with plugins. I tried to install and run Ulf's plugins, but once the dll's are copied into kplugins the browser fails to load. The popup says "k-meleon.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need yo restart the program. An error log is being created." Can't find the log though.

I've tried loading single and multiple plugins at a time. I've tried first editing the .cfg files and then copying the dll's. I've had the browser find the plugins a couple of times, chosen not to start them, mucked around with the .cfg files and tried to then start the plugin.

Nothing works. At best it's like they aren't there. At worst the browser won't start.

I'm kind of stuck here. Any help would be apprechiated.

I'm using what I believe to be the most recent version of K-Meleon (Version 0.6 547) on a Dell Inspiron 8100 w/ W2k SP3.

I'm currently an Opera 6 user and I like what I see in K-Meleon. There are a couple of features in Opera I really like and if these where available in K-Meleon I'd be very happy.

The features are, in order of importance to me:
1. Open all bookmarks in folder (looks doable with macro, need to learn scripting language better, all bookamarks in Opera .adr file, can't import without plugin, see original problem)

2. Back and forward in navigation history with mouse buttons (i.e. hold right button down and click left to go back and vice vera to go forward) probably requires more coding skills to add to source than I have

3. Switch tabs / windows with mouse (i.e. hold right button and scroll mouse wheel to select tab / window)

Nice to have features in no particular order:
* Context sensitive accelerator key bindings (i.e. 'X' and 'Z' keys to navigate history when no text field in focus)
* Double click on blank page to load homepage
* Maximize frame (i.e. render only selected frame)
* Good tabs support (I'm hoping the layers plugin will provide this)
* Autocomplete URLs from history
* Transfers window (i.e. quick access to recently downloaded items)
* Toggle images on/off, author/user mode (helps loading slow and poorly designed sites)
* Show time (yes I know, but it really helps to have it there in the upper corner, so that I can come to it and snap out of it when I realize I've been wasting hours just surfing the web)
* Informative loading status (i.e. Progress: 50% Images: 3/7 Speed: 34 kB/s Time: 0:12)
* Advanced browsing history (Ideal: ease of use of IE, detail and clarity of Opera)

To my knowledge unique missing features from all browsers:
* Ability to automatically (permanently | for specified time) archieve all visited sites
* Limit search to visited pages (in this life | specified time)

As you might have noticed all the features I'm missing are really user interface issues from my perspective. It's all about how the browser works for me that's important and how I feel I'm having an easy and efficient way of browsing the web.

I know you guys want to keep the browser lean and mean, but at least 1 and 2 really aren't bloat, and really are quite important, at least to me smiling smiley

K-Meleon really has a lot of things done the right way, which no other browser has, but the above features are what I miss from Opera. (I really, really, really like the ability to access user initiated popups and filter out the rest.)

But, to get back to my original reason for posting and my problems with plugins, help! smiling smiley

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Fred

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon fails to load with plugins
Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 24, 2002 11:34PM

Fred,

You have the most current "official" release. However, Ulf's plugins are for the current beta, not 0.6. Try the most current beta:

http://kmeleon.sf.net/file/beta/kmeleon065-beta.exe

There's one big bug: Print Preview crashes the browser and a smattering of smaller issues we are working on. If you liked 0.6, you'll find this even more to your liking.

Posted by: Fuzzy
Date: September 25, 2002 05:35AM
Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 25, 2002 12:35PM

Fuzzy,

Thanks. I forgot that the original post for that link was bad.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.