Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
java jre 1.4 not working
Posted by: aldo
Date: December 26, 2002 09:45PM

I can't view java applets, but the jre 1.4 is properly installed and k-meleon has java and javascript enabled.
what happens????

(excuse me, but i'm italian and my english is not very good)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: java jre 1.4 not working
Posted by: Andrew
Date: December 26, 2002 10:45PM

Aldo,

Can you point us to examples where you can not see the applets?

Posted by: aldo
Date: December 27, 2002 11:28AM

I'm rferring to k-meleon 0.7.
example:
I go on http://www.arachnoid.com.
in this home page there is a java applet but i can't view it.
Under this java applet there is the browser analyzer.
if I analyze my browser, here's the result:

Browser: Netscape Navigator/Communicator
Version: 5 OK
JavaScript Version: 1.4 OK
Java Enabled: No; Strong recommendation to enable Java or upgrade browser.
Screen Width: 800 Good
Screen Height: 600 Good
Screen Colors: 65536 Excellent

However; k-meleon has java and javascript enabled and jre 1.4 by Sun is recognized by k-meleon (jre 1.4 is properly installed: i often use it with IE 6 and no problem)

Posted by: Andrew
Date: December 27, 2002 03:10PM

Somewhere in the browser checking, it's not recognizing the we have Java and JS enabled. It does work in Mozilla 1.2beta so there's something that's being missed. Have you contacted the site owner about this?

Posted by: Stager
Date: December 29, 2002 01:59AM

Getting this message:
"Your browser does not support Java or has Java support disabled."
in Mozilla 1.3b and Version 0.7 Build 700. Java and Javascript are
on in both.

Works OK in Netscape 4.79 and IE 5.5

Same error message in both, similar to Aldo's except for 1024 x 768 res. and
4294967296 colors.

BOOKMARKS !!!!

Thanks
________________ Marc Stager

Posted by: vesselle
Date: January 20, 2003 05:16AM

specs:
win xp pro
p3 800
384 mb sdram

i am getting this exact same problem. it's frustrating to no end. my java works in ie 5.5 & 6 and opera 6 & 7 beta, but not in kmel. every site i go to does one of two things:

1) refers me to the Netscape Page for plugins (which is that stupid java.xpi download which indicates to me that it really thinks i AM netscape.)
~or~
2) a message pops up somewhere saying i don't have java installed.

kmel is constantly getting recognized as Netscape, altho i have it set to default in the preferences. when i open the prefs page, the lines that refer to the version of kmel (UserAgent string and id browser) are both blank. even tho i set it to default before i close it. is that what it's supposed to do?

i have tried ALL versions of java from 1.2 to 1.4.1 but all get me the same reaction. i close the browser and re open. i reboot the darned machine and check. always the same. my bf uses kmel and has been tearing his hair out trying to figure out why its doing this and has reached his personal limit. smiling smiley
if i compare his setup and prefs etc to mine.... they are EXACTLY the same. i guess that's why he's so frustrated. oh, there is one difference. i have imported all my bookmarks from O6 into kmel.

i never realized how many sites use java until this. it's just not very convenient for me to keep 2 browsers running either. i play lots of games, including online java games. currently, tho, i'm playing morrowind, and use the interactive map on m0usenet, which, obviously, is not interactive since i got kmel.

here's the link for it:
http://www.m0use.net/~uesp/morrow/map/mw_map.shtml

the archnoid site above doesn't work for me either. sad smiley i see a teeny message that insists my browser doesn't support java or has it disabled.

fwiw, i have done NO code tweaking. smiling smiley wouldn't know how if you paid me. well, if you paid me, i might learn. everything i have done is cosmetic only. skin and setup.

thanks for any help. i used to like my long hair *looks at it lying on the floor in clumps*

V***V

Date: January 20, 2003 05:30AM

ps:
figured i'd give yall another addy to check. smiling smiley the mama of them all. sun.

http://java.sun.com/getjava/

(i get only a static image. which sun tells me means i don't have java 1.4.1 installed.)

thanks again!
grinning smiley

V***V

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 21, 2003 04:07AM

If you go to the Java configuration in the Windows Control Panel, and you don't have netscape installed, but you try to enable Java for Netscape, you get an error that either Netscape is not installed properly _or_ you don't have sufficient permission to change files... it is this last part that is interesting... what is it trying to write to?

Perhaps there is something that needs to be changed in the actual .dll files in the Plugins directory, like a runtime patch to enable/disable the plugin (or mabye its just a settings file for Netscape that will not matter at all winking smiley )?

On this hunch I'm installing Netscape right now...then I will enable Java in Netscape from the config app in the control panel, then copy the plugins from the netscape Plugins directory to K-M's...and see how that turns out.

I'll post my results in a few minutes.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 21, 2003 04:13AM

Didn't make the least bit of difference heh.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 22, 2003 10:19PM

i coulda told you that!!

that was the first thing my bf made me do.

i took all the netscape plug-ins from his folders and installed them to see and like you say, didn't make a difference at all.

it also seems like no one has much of an interest in this dilemma other than the users who are experiencing it. i wish someone who helps make the browser would at least comment on this situation.

*gives up and runs off to reinstall opera*

V***V

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 22, 2003 11:01PM

FWIW, fails also using Java 1.3.1_06, which was my solution in the past when Java didn't work properly with Netscape 7.01, Mozilla 1.2.1 or K-Meleon 0.7.

N

Posted by: Nick
Date: January 22, 2003 11:38PM

It doesn't fail.

It works on a lot of sites, but some do not recognise the browser (or the browser has it OK, but the site can't suss it).

Check this thread, running in tandom:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=6491&t=6491

Are there any issues on what the OS/Version the web server is running on these sites that can't recognise KM as having Java turned on (but know it's installed)... I can smell a fish...

Nick

Date: January 23, 2003 04:58AM

Monkeesage,

Tried the same thing. Went there with K-Meleon 0.7, Netscape 7.01 and Mozilla 1.2.1 and it didn't work anywhere. (Copied files over to no effect.)

Wonder if anyone has a file list of exactly which files should reside in the plugin folder against which we can compare what we have sitting there after all this finangling around?

N

Date: January 25, 2003 11:21PM

See my last post here:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=6901&t=6901

Java works fully if you update the Mozilla engine to 1.3a with K-M .7 grinning smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 28, 2003 05:43PM

MonkeeSage,

Good to hear that Java works properly with Moz 1.3alpha, but I am not that ambitious. I'll wait until 0.8 then and hope it is based on a Moz version that properly handles Java.

Just as an aside. Did anybody figure out if there was a preferred PREFS.JS setting for identifying KM? (I've seen posts with differing ideas on that and the default seems to be blank which makes me think KM has a default settings, probably MOZ 1.0 or Netscape something.)

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.