Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Not freeing memory and bad rendering!
Posted by: Johny
Date: January 31, 2003 12:16AM

Under WinXP I opened some more (10 to 20?) windows of K-Meleon, and then after some time (after shutting some off), when trying to open a new one, it says some errors, that it's "unable to..." create toolbars, Layers...etc. and the font is VERY crappy too... I use "K-Loader" at highest level. And one more. I have now 3 "simple" windows opened, after 4 hours of using K-Meleon and it uses about 35MBytes of memory!!! Any ideas? Thanx mmaps@centrum.cz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not freeing memory and bad rendering!
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 31, 2003 02:04AM

It's not necessarily the number of windows, but the content.

For example, if you have been to alot of pages with java, then JRE has loaded (under the auspicies of K-Meleon) all those .class and .jar files into the JPI memory cache; if you've been to sites with shockwave, the shockwave plugin does similar for the .swf content. If you've been to one with flash, same thing. Also, I believe that Mozilla (K-Meleon's backend), has a javascript memory cache, too.

If you browse sites with those types of content, in any Mozilla based browser (Mozilla, Netscape, Phoenix, Galeon (on Linux))--then after a couple hours you'll be near 40-45 megs for your browser footprint. (Give it a try and see, I've used a Moz. based browser on and off for about 4 years on win32 and various Linuc distros, and this has always been the case as far as I have seen).

There is very handy free program from MSI (the mainboard company) called "GoodMem" that will free stale entries from real and virtual memory, and can sit in the task tray always freeing when it needs to, if you like; or you can run it once and exit the program, or whatever.

About K-Meleon not starting right sometimes, I'm not sure why, it sounds like it is not able to find its profile, but I'm not sure if that is the problem or not. The K-Meleon developers can probably help you more on that.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Re: Not freeing memory and bad rendering!
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 31, 2003 02:10AM

Ps. GoodMem download is the last link on this page:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/software/swr/spt_swr_list.php

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.