Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Netscape Bookmark Plugin Useless
Posted by: George
Date: March 18, 2003 11:11PM

The K-Meleon Netscape bookmark plugin is useless becuase it won't import my Netscape Communicator 4.80 Bookmarks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Netscape Bookmark Plugin Useless
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: March 18, 2003 11:44PM

George:

Either copy the bookmarks.html file from your Netscape profile directory, or set your bookmarks plugin to point to the Netscape bookmarks.html by the user pref:

user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.bookmarkFile", "C:\\Path\\to\\Netscape\\bookmarks.html");

(Notice the "\\" -- that is not an accident, they are necessary).

It should use your Netscape bookmarks fine after that.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: March 21, 2003 05:13AM

I like a said it Netscape Bookmark Plugin is Useless it should be able to automatically import Netscape Bookmarks like Mozilla does and instead of using the Favorites Folder for K-Meleon which is useless the IE Favorites should be imported in to a Bookmark File just like Mozilla because I will not allow any other brower to to use my Favorites Folder except IE. K-Meleon has no business storing links in my Favorites Folder at all.

Date: March 21, 2003 05:55AM

George:

Your telling us that you think the plugin is useless--is pretty useless to me (or anyone else it seems)...so should I start ranting about your useless posts? Then will someone have to come along and rant about my useless rants about your useless posts? See where that goes?

Why contribute to uselessness by posting useless posts, if it is uselessness that has got you all perturbed in the first place? That doesn't make much sense. It would make sense to rather try to help make the plugins useful, by posting useful posts; wouldn't it?

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: March 21, 2003 11:40AM

My bicycle is useless, it should be able to go by itself, like my car does.

Interpunction, on the other hand, can be quite usefull.

Posted by: Fulvio Perini
Date: March 22, 2003 05:54PM

Or, just relax, and do what I did. Treat K-meleon like any Netscape or Mozilla, and copy the bookmark(s).htm(l) file from the corresponding Netscape or Mozilla profile, and you have what you want to no changing of the preferences.
Seek and you will find.

Date: March 25, 2003 07:20AM

My Post is not useless becuase the Netscape Plugin is useless because it does not allow you to import Netscape Bookmarks directly with it. I won't copy my bookmarks in K-Meleon. K-Meleon should do that by allowing you to import bookmarks from multiple Netscape Profiles just like Netscape Communicator 4.80 allows you to import multiple bookmarks from each of your Netscape Profiles into one Netscape Profile.

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: March 25, 2003 08:32AM

Oh, come on.
If you're too lazy to do it yourself, just go sit around and sulk, and don't bother other people.

The Bookmarks Plugin is very usefull. A lot of people use it. You can say you don't like the way it works, but you can't call it useless.

Posted by: Anthony
Date: March 25, 2003 09:51AM

Any Browser that does not allow Importing or Exporting of Bookmark is useless even if Another Browser besides K-Meleon did allow importing Favorites or Bookmarks like IE and Netscape Communicator does would call that browser useless as well.

Date: March 25, 2003 10:01AM

So its a good thing that K-Meleon DOES allowing importing of bookmarks and works transparently with Opera hotlists, IE Favorites, and Netscape / Mozilla bookmarks! WOW! By that criteria, that makes K-M the MOST USEFUL browser out there!! grinning smiley

I couldn't agree more! K-M is great!

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: March 27, 2003 03:31AM

I tried K-Meleon and did even import even one of Netscape Communicator 4.80 Bookmarks so does not import Netscape Bookmarks correctly. So K-Meleon should add an import export function like IE Import Export Wizard that allows the user to import any bookmarks from any version of Netscape browser. If can't import Bookmarks from Netscape Browser below Netscape 6 then support for Netscape Bookmarks is not yet complete and completely pathetic because some people still use older version of the Netscape Browser because they like how Netscape Communicator looks and works. Also, Won't upgrade to latest Netscape until it a easy to use as Netscape Communicator 4.80 and remove both the bugs and flaws from Netscape 6 and above.

Date: March 27, 2003 03:56AM

George:

Can you please, please, tell me why having a button with little letters that say "Import" on them, and when pressed DOES EXACTLY WHAT YOU WERE INSTRUCTED TO DO (namely, copies the bookmarks.html file), is SO important to you?

How did you even get online to talk of this forum? How did you install windows? If you need a special button to copy a file, how are you even here? Was there a special button that said "when you can't find the other button press here" ????

Argh...*sigh*...nevermind...

George, here's the real deal, there actually is a bookmarks importer, but you have to be really cool to know about it...get the special file in your system32 directory called "format.exe" and run it from a dos window like this... in the command window:

C:\>
C:\> format.exe /FS:FAT /V:ImportNetscape /C /T:2 /N:1

Then just answer yes to all the steps and let it "unlock" the Netscape-Sealy Quadrapedic Cypher Algorithm (R) (Tm).

Bye George, have fun with the newly imported bookmarks...

Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 27, 2003 08:49PM

Behave kids.

Date: March 27, 2003 11:27PM

MonkeeSage To Smart To Format My Hard Drive. But it sounds like you dumb enough to try it. Go and Try Import Bookmarks using the Format command which would erase everything on your Hard Drive I dare. I not some Windows Newbie to fall for such a studid trick becuase I used nothing but DOS from 1987-1999 which is very usefull for understanding Windows 95-Windows 98 SE. You probably dumb enough open email attachment which the Subject Says I Love.

Date: March 27, 2003 11:33PM

Sage is not even smart enough to know where the FORMAT Command is located. It's not located in the System32 Folder idiot. It's Located Under Windows in the Command Folder moron. If you make a studid and mean joke get all your facts and if you don't you sound like a complete ignoramous.

Date: March 28, 2003 12:02AM

Andrew:
Behave kids.

You're right. Sorry 'bout that.

George:
If you make a studid and mean joke ...

Yeah, that was pretty mean. I apologize George. You're entitled to your own opinions about K-M, and I shouldn't have said that. I'm sorry.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: March 28, 2003 12:20AM

If you want to import your bookmarks then there is a COPY command (internal to COMMAND.COM) and an XCOPY command and of course you can use the kludgey windows gui to copy files. K-Meleon can read Netscape 4.x or Mozilla bookmarks (and IE favorites and Opera hotlist). K-Meleon is supposed to be a lightweight browser and importing is NOT technically a browser function so stop whining about it and copy the file to your K-Meleon profile subdirectory.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.