Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Status bar does not stay on.
Posted by: Stager
Date: April 19, 2003 05:55PM

Using Version 0.7.1 Build 2 Compiled 04-07-2003
The rebar plug-in is active. I have the main menu, URL bar, and Layers on
on one line across the top of the screen.

I want to see the status bar on the bottom to tell me the URL address
under the cursor.

I hit View, Toolbars > Status Bar and it comes on and works as it should.

But after I close and then re-open K-M the status bar is gone, and I have to
to again hit View, Toolbars > Status Bar to get it back on. This happens
whether or not I have the toolbar locked.

How can I make the status bar stay on the screen each time I use K-M?

BTW, I still can't hot-key to the main menu, for example alt-V for "view"
when the rebar plug-in is active.

AND THE DAMN BOOKMARKS STILL NEED A LOT OF WORK !!!

________________ Marc Stager

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Status bar does not stay on.
Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: April 19, 2003 06:02PM

Would you shut up whining about the bookmarks already, nobody else has any problems with the bookmarks except for you. Ditto for the status bar. As for the rebar menu thing, well this pretty much sums up your all of your problems -

READ THE DOCUMENTATION

Date: April 19, 2003 07:54PM

Documentation for the rebar plug-in? Where?
Will it tell me how to keep the status bar from being removed when
I exit K-M.?

And once more, I repeat:
BOOKMARKS STILL NEED WORK.

I'll keep saying that until I'm satisfied. I would really like to make
K-M my default browser. It has lots of things going for it; configurable
menus, good speed, and a nice looking screen when using the rebar
plug-in. Othersise I wouldn't bother posting any of this.

In the K-M bookmarks, just tried to cut and paste a new URL into the
appropriate folder and it could not be done. Data fields, an essential
part of the bookmark entries, which I am used to having in Netscape, are
missing entirely and are deleted when I import Netscape bookmarks.

If others are happy with this, fine. I'M NOT.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 19, 2003 08:49PM

Documentation for the rebar plug-in? Where?

In Documentation-FAQ it talks about your specific issue regarding the rebar & accelerators.

As far as your status bar problem, that appears to be unique to you. There was a bug pertaining to the status bar disappearing when opening new layers, but that's been fixed. I haven't seen any other status bar problems reported.

Date: April 19, 2003 09:22PM

Stager

Why is it that you dummies don't want to read the documentation but instead babble on and on witlessly about how stuff doesn't work for them ?? If you bozos would read the bloody documentation for once maybe you wouldn't have these problems. I used Netscape 4.x in the past and I copied the file bookmark.htm from Netscape Communicator to K-Meleon and it worked fine for me. Additionally the Mozilla bookmark keywords feature was added and that works fine too. Based on what you seem to be saying you want to bookmark a page, well there's a key for that, it's the same key as in Netscape 4.x. Until you have a valid problem or at least can articulate it properly, stop whining about the bookmarks, it has become really tiresome now. As for the status bar, I won't even try to guess what foolish thing you did to cause that, but you did it and now you have to undo it. If you need help then READ THE DOCUMENTATION.

Date: April 20, 2003 06:13AM

asmpgmr, or whatever your name is...

I did read the FAQ and there's no mention anywhere of how to fix the disappearing status bar problem. In fact, a text search for "status bar" finds absolutely nothing.
I thought you were referring to a specific doc file just for the rebarmenu plug-in.

The FAQ states that "You need to disable the rebar menu plug in to enable the Alt + accelerator key combinations." Brilliant. I was well aware of that.It's been like that for months. How about fixing the rebarmenu so that it DOES work with accelerator keys? I like the screen with a minimum of clutter and the rebarmenu plug-in makes it possible for me to set it up that way. Otherwise I'd be using the ugly looking Netscape 7.

And yes, I did the same thing - copied the bookmarks.htm file from Netscape.
What happens is that as soon as the K-M gets a hold of the Netscape bookmarks, it wipes out all the data panels - which contain important information I don't want to lose. No problem using control-B to have them come up, or control-D to save a URL. I never said there was, bozo - or do you prefer dummy?

I couldn't cut a bookmark I had just added in order to paste it under the appropriate
heading for the next time I want to find it. The QFS bookmark finder works very nicely but the BOOKMARKS STILL NEED WORK, as I originally stated back on December 1 of last year.

I've articulated the problems exactly as I've found them. Judging from your lame response, you could use some remedial reading courses. And what you seem to find "works fine" is inadequate and unusable for me.

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: April 20, 2003 07:26AM

Marc:

Here is my suggestion, either:

1. Give people like asmpgmr and me a hand in unofficially fixing the bugs (he's fixed plenty already, and I fixed one or two also), or in making custom builds to incorporate the fixes that have been produced so far.

2. Take the good with the bad and realize that K-M is open source and that programs don't code & debug themselves.

3. Stop using K-M.

Whatever you do, there is no point to repeat yourself on multiple threads and always criticize K-M without doing anything to fix what you perceive to be the problems. By analogy, that's like the man who always complains that there is a dangerous open well in a field, and yet continues to fall in every day without ever covering it. Doesn't seem to do alot of good, nor make too much sense...at least avoid the well untill someone else covers it, at best cover it yourself...but don't just continue to fall in and then complain about it!

My 2 coppers worth...

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 20, 2003 08:33AM

Marc,

The hotlist plugin looks and works almost exactly like the bookmarks plugin to the end user plus it has a description field for data. Unfortunately it doesn't have an import function because it assumes the user has an Opera hotlist file already on his PC, so that probably won't help you much since you're a Netscape user. But I'm curious, what sort of info do you need to have in the data field?

MonkeeSage,

There's a grayed out other: field in the edit bookmarks prompt right above nick:. Do you know what that's supposed to be and why it's grayed out?

Date: April 20, 2003 01:50PM

Stager,

You dare imply that I don't know what I'm doing you piece of crap bastard. If you don't like the way K-Meleon works then download the source code and fix it yourself. Can't do that ? Well I can and I did so shut your witless trap dumbass. People are sick and tired of you moaning and whining again and again and again about the bookmarks. Nobody else has any problems like you keep mentioning. Ditto for the status bar, it definitely doesn't turn off for me and there have been no other mentions of such a thing from anyone but you so in all likelyhood it's a USER ERROR. Why don't you sell your PC or donate it to a school or library, you'll be a lot better without something so out of your small-minded league. Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor which basically states the simpliest explanation for something is most likely the correct one ? Well the simpliest explanation here is that you are a stupid idiot. Now shut up and go away.

Date: April 20, 2003 05:33PM

Out of curiosity I checked to see if there were any fields that aren't imported from Netscape 4.x and the only fields not imported are some deprecated Netscape 3.x addressbook stuff. The addressbook used to be a html file like the bookmarks. Two of the fields are numeric tags and the other is a name tag (one word), none of these contain important info, especially for a program which doesn't even support email. I also found evidence of possible support for TARGET= (supposedly to force a bookmark to open in a new window ?) but couldn't confirm or deny this. I would imagine if any new bookmark fields were added to Mozilla then they would be supported by K-Meleon. Now stop your incessant whining.

jsnj,

The Other field is used for special items - bookmark toolbar folder, new bookmark folder, or bookmark menu.

Date: April 20, 2003 09:01PM

aspmgr:

Your vulgarity is unfortunate. I'm not going in the gutter with you.
Play there all by yourself.

I described the problems exactly as they happened. The 4.79 bookmarks
lose data in K-M. Period.

You want to keep thinking all is well with K-Meleon, suit yourself.
I don't have the time nor the inclination to play with the code.

Hoping you'll do some growing up -
best regards,

Date: April 20, 2003 09:36PM

jsnj:

I just copied the Netscape bookmarks file into the K-M profiles/default/*.slt
directory. Size: 655 K with data fields intact.

After bookmarking an eBay auction I exited K-M. The bookmarks.html file
was cut down to 615K, and the data fields were all deleted.

I'm not interested in the Opera Hotlist or IE favorites. I want to be able to
access the same bookmark information in K-M as I do in Netscape 4.79.
I use the description area as a repository for passwords and user names,
as well as contacts and phone numbers related to the websites.
IE and K-M don't have those fields.

Here's a screen shot from NS 4.79, edited for security,
showing exactly what I mean
http://marc.stager.com/misc/bmscreen.gif.

Thanks,

Date: April 20, 2003 09:41PM

Lose the period and the link works
:
http://marc.stager.com/misc/bmscreen.gif

BTW, that "Bookmark properties" pop-up screen in NS bookmarks comes
on with alt-enter and then all the information can be entered and saved.

MS

Date: April 20, 2003 11:15PM

Stager,

You should say you haven't the knowledege or experience to play with the code, at least then you would be stating the truth. There's a grand total of one "luser" complaining that the bookmarks don't work and that's you. For everyone else the bookmarks work fine. If there were any bugs they would be addressed, if new functionality or fields are added in Mozilla then they will most likely be supported for compatibility just like bookmark keywords support was added.

You're like a parrot constantly saying "polly want a cracker"
STOP WITH YOUR WHINING ABOUT THE BOOKMARKS.

Date: April 21, 2003 01:33AM

By the way speaking of the gutter, you're already there. Lets goto the videotape so to speak:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=4&i=3633&t=3633

If you didn't constantly spout off and rant on and on about the bookmarks then maybe you wouldn't elict such a negative response.

Date: April 21, 2003 02:27AM

asmpgnr: Not quite the same thing, is it, kid?
I wasn't calling anyone names.

It's frustrating. After nearly five months since my original post on
the subject, the Netscape type bookmarks are still dysfunctional -
but I'm sure the skins look wonderful.

So I'll summarize here and not mention it again:

1. K-M deletes the description fields. If you don't use them,
you won't miss them. But for me they're essential.
That screen shot in a previous note shows you exactly what I mean.

2. There is no way to organize the individual bookmark entries inside
the bookmarks.html file. You can't cut a new entry and paste it into
the appropriate heading.

3. Not a major problem, but when you click on a website and it comes
up, the bookmarks remain on the screen and they have have to be
removed by clicking on the corner.

That's all. If these faults were corrected, K-Meleon would be the best
browser on the block.

Date: April 21, 2003 03:04AM

For the description fields, if you can use the bookmarks.dll on MonkeeSage's page, you can use the nick: area to write some data info since you don't really use nicknames for your bookmarks. I don't know why you had problems with it last time you tried to use it. There have been no other reports of problems with it.

There is no way to organize the individual bookmark entries inside
the bookmarks.html file.

Surely you know how to drag & drop, cut & paste in the Edit bookmarks area. In case you haven't already made it yourself, the following simple macro should suffice. Not quite as polished a way to organize upon adding the way you're used to, but does the job. It brings up the edit bookmarks field immediately after adding a bookmark. Then you drag-drop or cut & paste to wherever you want to put it.

In macros

bookmark_add{
menu = Add bookmark
plugin(bookmarks,Add);
plugin(bookmarks,Edit);
}

In menus, under &Bookmarks, replace plugin(bookmarks,Add); with macros(bookmark_add) . For example:

%ifplugin bookmarks
&Bookmarks {
macros(bookmark_add)
macros(qfs, Search bookmarks)
bookmarks(Edit, &Manage bookmarks)
bookmarks(Config, &Bookmarks settings)
-
bookmarks()
}
%endif

Date: April 21, 2003 03:10AM

I meant replace bookmarks(Add, &Add bookmark).

Date: April 21, 2003 05:27AM

The use of the "nick:" space for data is a possibility. I haven't had any problems
with it nor have I mentioned any. But for me it's not a very practical solution.
I have a very large bookmarks file in Netscape (655K) and having to go back
and forth to key in the data from dozens of desccriptions fields would be a
pretty arduous task, and for some I would still need more room than one line.
Ideally (one more once), keeping the original description fields from NS intact
and editable in K-M is the best solution.

I already have my menu and macros set up as you described though I usually
just hot-key with ctl-d to save a site and ctl-b to go to the bookmarks.
QFS works very well and is even better than Netscape's Ctrl-F "Find Bookmark"
function. It opens the URL in NS 4.79, my default browser, however. QFS is
not able to open a URL in any but the default browser. If there's a way to make
QFS open in K-M and still keep NS as default, I'd like to know how that can be done.

I know that shift-(up/down)arrow and drag-and-drop can be used to reposition
a URL inside the bookmarks file. But, in my case, it is much more difficult to
drag a new entry (sibling?) up as many as 70 pages from its position at the end
of the file than it is to cut it, go to its new slot, then paste it back in.
I haven't been able to highlight a URL then cut and paste it (ctl-c, ctl-v).
The only option is delete.

Thanks, jsnj

Date: April 21, 2003 01:50PM

Marc or jsnj or anyone who knows:

This is the format for bookmark descriptions in Mozilla 1.x:

<DT><A HREF="http://www.ghostzilla.com/?referrer=google2"; ADD_DATE="1042949650" LAST_VISIT="0" LAST_MODIFIED="0">Ghostzilla</A>
<DD>Hide Mozilla in the viewport of any application
<DT><A HREF=...

(<DD> being the description tag)

Is this the same format for descriptions as NS 4.x?

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 21, 2003 02:44PM

Uhm <DD> in bookmarks ? That's certainly new to me, as far as I know bookmarks only use <DT> and <A> with the following tags:

HREF="url"
ADD_DATE="time"
LAST_VISIT="time"
LAST_MODIFIED="time"
LAST_CHARSET="charset" (Mozilla)
SHORTCUTURL="nick" (Mozilla)
ALIASID="num" (leftover from NS 3 address book)
ALIASOF="num" (leftover from NS 3 address book)
NICKNAME="username" (leftover from NS 3 address book)

TARGET="target" may also be supported (_blank or _new) but if so it's likely a leftover from before there was a menu option to open in a new window.

Folders are grouped in a <DL> block and the folder itself is another <DT> but with fewer tags (usually only ADD_DATE). Folders also have a FOLDER or FOLDED tag which isn't supported by K-Meleon, this is used to maintain the open or closed state for folders across bookmark window invocations. There are also some other special tags used for toolbar folders and bookmark menus. Additionally Mozilla has support for bookmarks groups but I don't know anything about that particular feature.

Date: April 21, 2003 03:02PM

asmpgmr:

It is is the description tag in Mozilla 1.x from everything I can find out online, and it is what Mozilla 1.4b placed in its bookmarks.html file when I added a description to a bookmark or folder (from bookmarks dialog->rt.click->properties).

I have support for it working, added in place of the old "Other:" field is only used currently to show extended data, which can be shown in the statusbar instead. I just need to know if this tag is standard across the current NS bookmarks formats.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 21, 2003 08:58PM

1. K-M deletes the description fields. If you don't use them,
you won't miss them. But for me they're essential.
That screen shot in a previous note shows you exactly what I mean.

Not any more. smiling smiley

I stayed up all night adding the support for descriptions to include in my unofficial builds (read / write & bells and wistles); only to find that Ulf Erickson (the head Plugin developer), had beat me to the punch by like 11 hours!! Doh! lol. And had done it with more effecient code (that's why he's a devel after all). Anyhow, descriptions are fully supported now.

2. There is no way to organize the individual bookmark entries inside
the bookmarks.html file. You can't cut a new entry and paste it into
the appropriate heading.

Now all the edit hotkeys work also for items or folders.

3. Not a major problem, but when you click on a website and it comes
up, the bookmarks remain on the screen and they have have to be
removed by clicking on the corner.

The edit window is no longer a modal window, meaning that it will behave like the history plugin window and go the the background when the focus changes to K-M; though it still has to be closed deliberately. The esc key will kill the bookmarks edit window when it has focus also, if that is easier than a click.

Plus, there is typeahead searching now--just type what you want to look for (in the url portion of the bookmarks) and it will automatically find as you type--TAB or F3 repeates the current search.

I also threw on a nice icon for the bookmarks edit window to keep it looking classy.

http://monkeesage.d2g.com/bookmarks.dll

So..happy birthday...and say thank you to the nice developers like Ulf who make the best browser on the planet for us end users to enjoy. winking smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 21, 2003 09:05PM

...just type what you want to look for (in the url portion of the bookmarks) ...

That's nice and ambiguous...let me try that again...

...just type {anywhere, as long as the main dialog window is focused] what you want to search for in your bookmarks ...

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 21, 2003 09:10PM

MonkeeSage,

The bookmarks plugin is still modal and there are other issues as well. You should pull this build for now and put back the previous one until stuff is resolved.

Date: April 22, 2003 01:12AM

FYI to readers, bookmarks-beta.dll is the new CVS plugin, and bookmarks.dll is the older, more stable plugin (but lacks typeahead search and is modal so it always has focus while opened).

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.