Resources leak
Posted by: Marc (marcb@NOboSPAMx100.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 05:50PM

I've done a step by step test and examination of the resource leak under windows 98 SE.
The leak appears when new windows (popups or ctrl-N) are opened. Using the layers plugin doesn't seem to change much.

See by yourself: http://users.skynet.be/alternity/k-meleon/resources.html

--
Marc

Re: Resources leak
Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 26, 2003 08:08PM

The beta or v0.7.1? BTW, nothing opens when I click the link you posted.

Date: October 27, 2003 10:48AM

Both 0.8.0 Build 833 and 0.7.1 Build 734 .
What is the problem with the link above ? Is there an error message from the provider? I've checked again and It works for me.

--
Marc

Posted by: boogomatic
Date: October 27, 2003 03:20PM

Marc[/b[

Your link works fine here, but I am not seeing the significant System and User resource leaks that you demonstrated.

The GDI resources seem to hold steady for you. Do the System and User resources rebound after you exit K-Meleon?

<boogomatic>
486DX4/100-PLUS-160Mhz, 48MB, 1.5GB
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031016 K-Meleon/0.8

Date: October 27, 2003 03:58PM

Oops, didn't end that bold tag properly. I wasn't trying to yell.
Speaking of markup, Marc in the source for that test page, there are some incorrect declarations.

ostyle="color:black;"
ooheight="185"
oWIDTH=800

<boogomatic>
486DX4/100-PLUS-160Mhz, 48MB, 1.5GB
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.5 ) Gecko/20031016 K-Meleon/0.8

Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 27, 2003 04:22PM

My hosts file blocked your site. That's why I couldn't get there the first time. My results were consistent with boogomatic. Opened & closed the popup 10 times and resources held steady using build 833 on Win98.

Date: October 27, 2003 05:27PM

boogomatic
The GDI resources seem to hold steady for you. Do the System and User resources rebound after you exit K-Meleon?

Yes. All resources go back to normal after exiting K-Meleon.

Frankly I don't understand why I have this problem, and you, don't.
Am I using some plugins that you're not using? Some configuration settings (proxy, ...) ?

Date: October 27, 2003 05:29PM

boogomatic
in the source for that test page, there are some incorrect declarations

I know, I use this type of "fast"' commenting to keep track of what I've already tested.
The final version will not have these errors. winking smiley

Date: October 27, 2003 05:54PM

OK.
Thought it would something like that.
Good trick.

"Am I using some plugins that you're not using? Some configuration settings (proxy, ...) ?"
No proxy here.
I am using all kplugins (except favorites and hotlist)
The only plugins I have are the Default Mozilla, Shockwave Flash.(no Java)
I block a lot of Flash with userContent.css (but none of that on your page)
Maybe a Win98se thing, or Java RE, others complain of the same leaks in Mozilla and Firebird.

Source of the problem found !
Date: October 27, 2003 10:49PM

Maybe a Win98se thing, or Java RE, others complain of the same leaks in Mozilla and Firebird.

I'm also using Firebird for test, and I've no problem with it. No resources leak, no crash...

I am using all kplugins (except favorites and hotlist)[.i]
I have played a bit with the plugins, and have found the culprit. The problem is with the bookmarks plugin. Any combination of the others works.
My bookmark file is quite big, and using a much smaller one doesn't trigger the leak (maybe it's a question of time).

Originally the file is 339819 bytes under Firebird, 283682 under NS4.79, and 262856 under K-Meleon. It contains approximately 1492 links (<a> counted with grep).

Is this problem fixable? (I don't want to reduce the amount of bookmarks)

Date: October 27, 2003 10:50PM

Sorry for the missing /i

I'm also using Firebird for test, and I've no problem with it. No resources leak, no crash...

I am using all kplugins (except favorites and hotlist)
I have played a bit with the plugins, and have found the culprit. The problem is with the bookmarks plugin. Any combination of the others works.
My bookmark file is quite big, and using a much smaller one doesn't trigger the leak (maybe it's a question of time).

Originally the file is 339819 bytes under Firebird, 283682 under NS4.79, and 262856 under K-Meleon. It contains approximately 1492 links (<a> counted with grep).

Is this problem fixable? (I don't want to reduce the amount of bookmarks)

more...
Date: October 27, 2003 11:00PM

It seems the problem is with the code used to handle the (bookmark) toolbar. If it is disabled (hidding it doesn't fix) the leak disappear.

Posted by: ra
Date: October 28, 2003 07:05PM

I reportet that over a year ago as well: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=2533&t=2527

Date: October 29, 2003 04:40AM

You may have to limit the number of links in your toolbar folder. Only a dozen or so can fit on the toolbar anyway. Keep the rest in other bookmark folders.

-boogomatic-

Date: October 29, 2003 11:04AM

No, the problem is not with the toolbar folder.
I've done a test by removing other links that don't appear under any folder of the toolbar (except for the bookmark menu under the « ), and the leak disappears. Just like simply disabling the bar.
It's really weird since this menu already appears in the main menu bar without causing a leak.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.