Boorkmark Import Bug
Posted by: George Hall
Date: November 04, 2004 11:04PM

When I tried to import a Netscape Bookmark after installing K-meleon it gave the message "Error: Could Not Get Menu" the rebar menu should have never been stored as a bookmark in the first place it does not contain an in internet address and other tools bars that do have a internet address stored in the bookmark.

Sincerely,
George Hall

Re: Boorkmark Import Bug
Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 05, 2004 05:08AM

How did you try to import a bookmark? There is no import bookmark function in K-Meleon. The only import function in any of the bookmark kplugins is the Netscape Bookmark plugin's "Import Favorites". Once you relay your method then we can try and find the reason you're getting that error message. It's most likely due to an error in the menus.cfg file. Also, what K-Meleon version are you using?

the rebar menu should have never been stored as a bookmark in the first place it does not contain an in internet address

What do you mean by "stored as a bookmark"? The rebar menu is a separate kplugin. It's not "stored" as anything.

Date: November 06, 2004 03:59AM

You are wrong about the rebar menu because when I first installed it asked to import a bookmark or create a new so I imported the Netscape Commuicator Bookmark then I got the message that the error rebar menu mising so part of the menu is stored in the K-meleon Bookmark. No part of a menu should be stored in the bookmark. If rebar menu wasn't stored partly in the bookmark then my Nescape Communicator Bookmark imported correctly.

Sincerely,
George Hall

Date: November 06, 2004 05:21AM

You are wrong about the rebar menu...

No I'm not. It asked you to locate the bookmark file you wish to use. It said nothing about importing. It simply uses the same bookmark file. It doesn't move, copy, or import anything.That's completely different. Believe me, I setup the default Menu files for both v0.8.2 and v0.9b. The Main menu is not listed or "stored" within any of the bookmark plugin sections in the menus.cfg file. And all the Rebar menu plugin does is allow you to move the main menu around like the other toolbars. I'm not theorizing here. These are just facts. But I'm not here to prove myself right or to prove you wrong. The main issue here is to find out why you're getting or got that error message. So let's try to resolve it. Do you have more than one bookmark file on your PC? If so, do the following. Create another profile via Edit-Manage Profiles and check the box next to "Ask At Startup". When KM restarts choose the new profile and find & use that other bookmark file and tell me if you get that error message again.

Date: November 06, 2004 05:24AM

Also, what Windows OS are you using?

Date: November 07, 2004 06:35AM

It confusing to ask which bookmark to use becuase someone easily believe they are importing an old bookmark. Instead asking which bookmark to use it should use the one already under that profile or create an entirely new one. Then you can a add function next to import favorites to allow you to import bookmarks. Netscape Based and Mozilla Based Browsers allows you to import bookmarks and so does internet explorer. IE allows you to export favorites to a bookmark file that Netscape and Mozilla Based Browsers can import. IE can also import bookmarks so IE has all the same favorites as the bookmark does.

Which seems to be a better importing method than just importing favorites because many other browsers use a bookmarking system which in some ways better than favorites because bookmarks can not be overwritten like favorites and can have booksmarks which the same for different web pages that use the same name when they are added to the bookmarks.

Sincerely,
George Hall

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.