Typo in License.txt
Posted by: rmn
Date: November 12, 2004 07:43AM

Before I forget...

License.txt (which is also displayed during install) has this text in line 348 (between GPL and MPL):
The Gecko(tm) engine is subject to the Mozilla Public License license :

Re: Typo in License.txt
Posted by: ra
Date: November 13, 2004 01:33PM

Something for the bug page or the BTS?

Date: November 14, 2004 05:38AM

Yeah, it's just that it's too trivial; nobody reads licenses. winking smiley
I was hoping Andrew would see this. If anyone wants to report in the 0.9b bug page or the dev list, go ahead.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 18, 2004 10:35PM

I'm way behind but I'll check for it in the latest beta.

Date: November 25, 2004 05:56AM

Technically, I think that the text is correct. I checked around and the title of the license is the Mozilla Public License (MPL). It's normally referred to as the MPL license. Seems duplicative but calling it the Mozilla Public License license is correct, just confusing. Here's what I put on the bugs page:

"While technically correct, this should be edited to say MPL (Mozilla Public License) license as the current version is confusing. "

Date: November 25, 2004 04:17PM

Well, OK, sometimes people also say "ATM machine". =)

Date: November 25, 2004 04:43PM

Yup, same idea.

Posted by: Carson
Date: November 27, 2004 07:16PM

Sure, but it's still redundant redundant. Might as well show the world that computer tech guys guys are not just proficient in writing code code, but also are nicely savvy in using English effectively effectively. ;-) If you get my drift drift. :-)

Posted by: ra
Date: November 27, 2004 07:30PM

I would be careful with changing licences, especially if they're technically correct, as Andrew pointed out, although I hate things like "LCD-displays"..

Date: November 27, 2004 10:46PM

As Ra noted, I would be hesitant of changing it since it's pretty much a boilerplate license statement. Also, while it sounds redundant, it actually is not. The title of the license is the "Mozilla Public License". We can't drop "License" from the title and omitting license from the the text isn't correct either. Looks like it has to stay the way it is and we'll do our best to make it a little less confusing.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.