Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Crash Report Thread
Posted by: desga2
Date: August 29, 2009 05:49PM

@ Mr Lapin:
Web site load fine to me in Win2K with Firefox 2 and K-Meleon 1.5.0 , 1.5.2 and 1.5.3. (default settings)

Try to update your Flash plugin or load the website with Block Flash enabled or JavaScript disabled.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: siria
Date: October 16, 2009 09:31AM

Mr Lapin
KM 1.5.2, Win98SE / Win98Lite Preview, Asus A7n8X, Athlon 2100XP, 512m ram. The following page fails to load completely :

http://greenevillesun.com/story/302332

Crashes the computer - other programs can't take focus, can't shut down, 3 finger salute is only way out.

Uff... feeling slightly hasardous, I clicked on it, and - nothing! That is, looks like a perfectly normal site, nothing crashes, nothing freezes... smiling smiley
Am on win98se with kernelex, KM 1.5.3 Gecko 1.8.1.23, all sorts of stuff disabled (javascript off etc.). Maybe the latest KM updates have fixed it, or maybe anything on my system or settings is different, or maybe the webpage has changed since

Posted by: Doon
Date: October 19, 2009 06:14AM

Posted by: Mr Lapin
Date: August 29, 2009 07:08AM

KM 1.5.2, Win98SE / Win98Lite Preview, Asus A7n8X, Athlon 2100XP, 512m ram. The following page fails to load completely :

[greenevillesun.com]

Crashes the computer - other programs can't take focus, can't shut down, 3 finger salute is only way out. Javascript on or off makes no difference.

Hello to all. I've only been using K-Meleon 1.5.3 for three days now and at least two web pages like that one have locked up my PC too, but I've traced the trigger and I've found a workaround to avoid a reboot.

My OS is a Win98/se hybrid (long story) and my video card is an ATI Rage 128, with DirextX 9.0b. My problem seems to be the same as Mr. Lapin's, at least in the way it was described. We seem to have Win98 in common, yet Siria doesn't suffer the same fate.

There was a page locking me up a couple of days ago but I didn't know why. Today I found another one that did it the same way, consistently, as does the link posted above. I will note that in virtually all tests javascript and even images were turned off.

The manner in which KM locks up is deceptive, I originally thought that Ctrl-Alt-Delete was the only way out, but today I realized that wasn't necessary. What happens is, while a page is loading the whole display freezes up, Explorer itself seems unresponsive, but you can in fact continue to give keyboard and mouse input, you just can't see the results due to the frozen display. I had tried all manner of task switching and shutting down processes (I even made a shortcut to kill K-Meleon) but nothing brought the screen back to life except a double Ctrl-Alt-Delete to reboot.

When the display freezes the tray icons remain animated and responsive for a while (process explorer, modem), and when opening the start menu the icons will draw on the screen though nothing else is visible (no text or window components).

It occured to me to launch something like a fullscreen game that would change the video mode and resolution, to see if that would reset the display. I happened to have a shortcut sitting in my quick launch toolbar and sure enough it worked, the video mode changes reset my display to normal. After deliberately triggering the freeze again I also tried a simple screen resolution changing script and it worked too. So, for those who are plagued by this screen freezing problem, you need to have some easily accessible shortcuts like these that will make your display snap out of it. I would love to see Mr. Lapin try this.

What is triggering it? It turns out to be related to certain website icons and the IconCache.dat file.

Sites that will trigger the problem:

http://www.greenevillesun.com/story/302332
http://am-productions.biz
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/1244073384

By a process of elimination I figured out that the IconCache.dat file is at the center of this. Apparently, when it comes time to load and/or cache the icon, the display freezes up.

As an aside, I'd like to note that option to disable the caching of icons, on the cache page in the KM preferences, does not work properly - even while disabled it still writes some site specific data to the IconCache.dat. I must also note that the display freezing problem occurs whether images are allowed to load or not, because the display of site icons is independent of such settings.

Frustratingly, before I found the trigger, at some point after locking up the display (after a reboot and restart of KM) the pages would load fine, as if a barrier had been broken down. I realize now that in those instances I managed to shut down KM before doing a hard reboot, which had the effect of writing the IconCache.dat, which meant that the next time the page was loaded it didn't freeze the display.

That is the thing, once the data is written in the IconCache.dat, a visit to the page will no longer freeze the display. But if you delete IconCache.dat you can retrigger the freeze (and if you create a dummy IconCache.dat file and make it read only you will always freeze the display).

If "cache website icons on disk" option is NOT enabled, the screen will freeze again when K-Meleon is restarted, but if it IS enabled the site will be safe, AFTER it triggers a freeze the first time.

Again, even if the "cache website icons on disk" option is turned off KM will still write to the file, which is definitely(?) a bug. And it's during the processing of these icons that the display becomes so fatally corrupted. I don't understand why it happens, but I think it's worthy to note that when my display became corrupted ICONS, and only icons, would still show up on screen (as in the only visible bits of the start menu, or the tray icons). And to be clear, by resetting the display through resolution changes the problem was cleared up and there seemed to be no lingering effects, meaning it's purely visual.

As for why certain pages (or site icons) cause freezing when most do not, I couldn't say. Comparing the two examples I have, along with a quick look at other sites, I don't see anything. Is it css or scripting? Is it file types? To guess wildly, perhaps the answer lies in the image files themselves, bad headers or odd construction that somehow throws off the KM routines, who knows. And why does this only affect certain people like myself? Is it some Win98 related incompatibility with rendering engine components? Is it just the k-meleonW9x executable?

I had tweaked the options in K-Meleon but I get the same results from a fresh instance extracted from the .7z archive and made to work in an isolated, independent folder (using the profile/profiles.ini method), with all options default. And to be clear, this is obviously the k-meleonW9x.exe I'm dealing with.

I hope I've been clear and have given enough info to help. I'd like to say that I first noticed page one of this thread only after writing this and just before posting it. I'm sorry if it's out of place or breaking protocol, I'm not familiar with things here and this is the only place I'll have posted this info, which I've felt compelled to research and report.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 04:50AM by Doon.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 19, 2009 07:54AM

Doon
Again, even if the "cache website icons on disk" option is turned off KM will still write the file, which is definitely a bug.

Albeit on W2k (K-M 1.5.3) I checked my IconCache.dat since my setting is not to cache website icons on disk.
It has the the same MD5(=78a2a8b422736cbf665d6ef5469d7866) like that from a fresh install which never connected to the internet. So far nothing was written to my IconCache.dat and I can't confirm this bug on W2k at least.

Doon
I'm sorry if it's out of place or breaking protocol, I'm not familiar with things here and this is the only place I'll have posted this info, which I've felt compelled to research and report.

You didn't break any protocol. Therefore are forums for.
I wish I would have a solution for you.
Let's hope someone else can offer a solution to your problem.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 07:57AM by Yogi.

Date: October 20, 2009 05:02PM

WHOW again, Doon, that is incredible the weird things you figure out!! The icon cache and screen resolution, who would suspect anything like this?
Those page may work for me, but they seem still very heavy on my ressources, so after opening and closing them a few times I had to restart anyway. BTW, my colors are set to 16 bit, that seems to be a little "lighter" for my system. Just for testing I uninstalled kernelex now and renamed the icon cache, but this had no influence, the pages still open okay. The only time I had this same problem was about two years ago, on this site: www.tuchlaube.ch
At the time no one else had probs with it, so I was sure it must be something particular about my system, and just avoided this site for a long time (or used other browsers). When a long time later I dared to go there again, everything worked fine, no idea if perhaps the KM-updates or anything I changed anywhere dit it, or perhaps they had simply changed their site.

Doon
More info: I had tweaked the options in my K-Meleon but I get the same results from a fresh copy extracted from the .7z archive and made to work in an independent folder (using the profile/profiles.ini method), with all options set to default. And to be clear, this is obviously the k-meleonW9x.exe I'm dealing with.

Do you mean the new install worked with your "old" profile? If you click on Edit/Config./Profile Directory, is that not local..? (Btw, that profiles.ini must be in the root folder of KM) Or, more likely - do you mean you have still that freezing prob with the default settings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 05:05PM by siria.

Re: screen freeze
Date: October 20, 2009 10:03PM

Thank you Yogi and siria.

siria
Or, more likely - do you mean you have still that freezing prob with the default settings?

Exactly. A fresh, untweaked, isolated instance of K-M did the same thing as my not so fresh, tweaked, isolated instance of K-M.

Your thoughts about 16-bit versus 32-bit was a good lead, I once tested a program that had very different results in each mode. To test K-M I just switched to 16-bit but the results were unfortunately the same.

However, your tuchlaube link worked great... at freezing my screen again. Thanks! ;-)
That makes three sites I know of that produce the exact same effect.

siria
Doon, that is incredible the weird things you figure out!!

smiling smiley Having glimpsed how cool K-Meleon is, and being determined to make it work for me, it drives me to dig deep and endlessly repeat testing scenarios until I can figure out the problem.

Date: October 22, 2009 06:57PM

Oh, that site really still crashes?! LOL! And I had thought anything had been fixed, anywhere. The funny thing is, this was on my very same computer here, just two years ago. Of course I fiddled a lot with the system meanwhile and downloaded windows updates and other stuff, so something of it must have been the "cure" ;-) But still, other browsers didn't crash at that time, despite the "uncured" system yet, and it can't be KM's exclusive fault either, because we both tried now with a fully identic out-of-the-box version. Perhaps it takes some weird combination. Just curious, on the previous page of this thread someone posted it's possible for him to break out with a shortcut to exit, if I got that right (Ctrl+Alt+F4)? That doesn't work for you, or does it...? And someone else had freezes because of an old flash plugin (on bild.de), or giant images, if you flip back here...
Man, I'm just glad my box seems to have cured itself somehow, UFF! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2009 06:57PM by siria.

frozen screen fix
Date: October 26, 2009 05:31AM

In my posting up above I detailed the effect, the cause and a workaround for K-Meleon's capacity to freeze the whole screen (in Windows 98) due to a graphics glitch related to the functioning of the IconCache.dat routines. I've updated the posting slightly for clarity and I've just filed an official bug report. And I might as well point out that it's not a crash, so it doesn't even register on K-Meleon's error window.

Here are a list of known sites that can trigger the freeze:
(note: there is an updated list in my posting below)

Link submitted by Mr. Lapin:
http://greenevillesun.com/story/302332

Link submitted by siria:
http://www.tuchlaube.ch

Links I've discovered:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/1244073384

I've created a crude workaround for this issue by making a simple macro and assigning some hotkeys to trigger it. I'd posted it elsewhere in a roundabout way but I am including here for those who may need it.

I created a plain text file with the following macro definition in it, then saved it as "UnFreeze.kmm" in the Macros folder.

UnFreeze{
	exec("Tools\\UnFreeze\\UnFreeze.bat");
	}

The macro links to a batch file (another plain text file) that contains command lines for a 3rd party utilty called "QRes". QRes is a tiny, freeware command line utility that can instantly change the screen resolution, color depth and refresh rate, available at: http://aksoftware.ne1.net

As it turns out, simply changing the screen resolution or bit depth will clear up the effect of the frozen screen, so I use QRes to do so.

Set up for my use, this is what "UnFreeze.bat" contains:

@echo off
	qres.exe /c:16
	qres.exe /c:32
	cls
	exit

Since I run my screen in 32-bit color mode I use QRes to quickly change it to 16-bit and then back to 32-bit. Someone who normally runs 16-bit should do exactly the opposite. If a person doesn't want to toggle the bit depth a screen resolution change can be almost as quick, changing to a different resolution and back again with command lines like "qres.exe /x:800 /y:600" and "qres.exe /x:1024 /y:768".

To set everything up I placed "UnFreeze.kmm" in the K-Meleon Macros folder, I created a folder called "Tools" in the K-Meleon folder (commonly used by extensions), I then created a folder called "UnFreeze" inside the tools folder. I placed "QRES.EXE" and "UnFreeze.bat" in the UnFreeze folder, and in a final required step I right-clicked Unfreeze.bat, selected Properties and set the program's 'working' folder to match it's actual location ("X:\K-Meleon\Tools\Unfreeze").

To invoke the UnFreeze macro I edited the "accelerators" configuration and assigned it the key combination Ctrl-Alt-F, with the F standing for 'freeze' or 'fix' in my mind.

CTRL ALT F = macros(UnFreeze)

When a website fatally freezes my screen, I press Ctrl-Alt-F to instantly fix it and make it fully functional again, then continue on my way with no lingering effects. If anyone would like to prepare a better functioning version of this fix in the future then please feel free to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 07:48PM by Doon.

Re: frozen screen fix
Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 06, 2009 10:48PM

i;m not sure if this can be related but when i experience graphcs card freezes in win 98 usually with 3d games, i fiddle with the ati options and usualy that does the trick.

ati catalyst driver has a lots of options..i can't say exactly what used to fix it in 98 but decreasing the hardware acceleration seemed to help.. also keeping refresh rate at 60hz is healthy for both your monitor and card.

those are the options in my ati catalyst..maybe they can guide you

also if you are certain that the iconcache(and you seem to be right about it..your analysis is very logical) then disabling aching icons should stop kmeleon from downloading them.. i find it very strange it isn't working and this itself is a bug because if you disable caching favicons it must not download them not just not display them. but i know a way to disable favicons using stylesheets per site or for all sites and even replace them..the problem is, is now i'm not sure if the css will actually just override the favicon and just cover it while kmeleon continues to download it to the faviconscache..this will cause same freeze then..or can the css actually stop kmeleon from downloading them.. i'll need to test this and not just by checking size but must see the actual favcons that were cached successfully and what didn't..but if there's a program to check the contents.. i have one that can display them for xp cache but don't know if they are the same format and could work, besides that tool does not have an option to select the dat file ..it just automatically detects the system icon cache..so will need to fool it by renaming km icon cache and placing it in appdata..

also some of the sites no longer use real icons for favicons to get over colour limitations or shadows etc..they use gif or png and even sometimes rename ext to ico to fool some browsers.. maybe this causes some kind of a messup in the iconcache data file.

for e.g tuchlaube uses a png there and not an ico
http://www.tuchlaube.ch/@@/favicon.png

also the greensville faviCON! is another png disguised in an icon cloak
http://www.greenevillesun.com/images/favico.ico

you can use extract favicon extension to save the favicons locally and check their true identity. this doesn't mean that there's no bug.. it's probably related to the kmeleon9x exe or combination of that exe and the graphics card and pseudo favicons in the cache.. but if you stick around, maybe we can all get to the bottom of this.

Re: frozen screen fix
Date: November 07, 2009 08:27AM

That favicon bug is too weird. Just wish I knew how my 98se system cured itself at some point, even if it was perhaps just an accidental workaround (changing some unfortunate combination?), since I use the same KM and can't remember having ever done anything with an icon cache. Certainly have done some Win-Updates, and perhaps updated the graphics driver, but don't remember exactly.
But good idea with the graphics card, who knows...

For mine there are hardly any settings, basically just the hardware acceleration, which currently is at 33%, and the driver version:
ATI Mobility 128 AGP 4X (English / but german system)
Software-Version 4.00, has 4 drivers (Hmm, but dating from Oct.2000, older than the notebook...)
ATI2DRAI.DRV M6.31.52-T01

Or perhaps one of the countless other drivers (for unrelated components) and software I installed in the meantime had some influence, although not logical, but despite their reputation computers often seem to act very UNlogical!! tongue sticking out smiley

Re: Crash Report Thread (Gecko 1.8.1.23 font-family)
Date: November 08, 2009 07:22PM

On win98se the browser crashes if the gecko is updated to 1.8.1.22 or .23 on those pages:

Link-1: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic291247.html
Link-2: http://www.gwd-minden.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1193

The crash occurs on this line in the style settings (identic in both pages):

/* The largest text used in the index page title and toptic title etc. */
.maintitle {
font-weight: bold; font-size: 22px; font-family: "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif",Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
text-decoration: none; line-height : 120%; color : #000000;
}

If I delete the red part, the page opens okay from disk! (in gecko -23)
With the current default gecko -21 there's no prob, obviously it doesn't mind such typos.
Problem is, this is the default stylesheet in a very wide-spread forum-software :-( (phpbb2)

------------------------------
EDIT: Solution by desga in http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,98188

desga2
I founded the bad file in Win98: gkgfxwin.dll
If you change it for a gkgfxwin.dll from Seamonkey 1.1.18 work fine in Win9x.
Yep, true!! grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 12:28PM by siria.

Date: November 16, 2009 12:23PM

Thank you for your replies, disrupted. The video settings you suggested did not seem to affect the situation. but I do find it interesting that Siria and I both have ATI cards (different cards with different drivers), and I wonder about Mr. Lapin now - it's unclear to me what brand of accelerated video he may be running. So far, Win98/SE (siria, lapin and me) and ATI video cards (siria and me) are common to the issue. Siria, I think you are right about updated drivers being the likely fix to your situation.

disrupted
disabling aching icons should stop kmeleon from downloading them.. i find it very strange it isn't working and this itself is a bug because if you disable caching favicons it must not download them not just not display them.

They are displayed no matter the settings, and some data relating to them can be found in the IconCache.dat after K-Meleon is closed (IconCache.dat doesn't exist as a file while K-Meleon is running, and the data in IconCache.dat will be overwritten each time K-Meleon is started, when caching is disabled). I am certain that the freezing does occur at the moment the favicon is displayed (a slow dialup connection provides bullet-time reflexes as pages load).

disrupted
also some of the sites no longer use real icons for favicons to get over colour limitations or shadows etc..they use gif or png and even sometimes rename ext to ico to fool some browsers.. maybe this causes some kind of a messup in the iconcache data file.

Good work on the PNG analysis. When first researching the matter I determined that some of the problem icons were PNG, but I also found many PNG favicons that didn't cause a problem. While digging into the problem again recently I made an exhaustive study of all of the problem icons and they are indeed all PNG, and the origins of at least four of them can be traced to the same software - Adobe ImageReady. This seems significant, and to me this confirms my early suspicion that "perhaps the answer lies in the image files themselves, bad headers or odd construction that somehow throws off the KM routines".

Here's a neat bit of freeware, PNG Analyzer

Known sites that can trigger the freeze:

Links I've discovered:
http://kmeleon.geckoworld.ru (now that's almost funny)
http://www.cgtextures.com
http://www.foodnetwork.com
http://www.annoyances.org
http://www.astraware.com

Link submitted by Mr. Lapin:
http://greenevillesun.com

Link submitted by siria:
http://www.tuchlaube.ch

Image files:
http://kmeleon.geckoworld.ru/images/main/icon.png
http://www.cgtextures.com/favicon.png
http://images.foodnetwork.com/webfood/fn20/imgs/favicon.png
http://am-productions.biz/images/am.png
http://www.annoyances.org/pictures/toad.png
http://www.astraware.com/images/icon.png
http://www.greenevillesun.com/images/favico.ico
http://www.tuchlaube.ch/@@/favicon.png

Note: I stated in another thread (crash/cache) that I'd be deleting K-Meleon, but I couldn't bring myself to do so, I like this pesky browser too much now!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 07:46PM by Doon.

Date: November 16, 2009 01:02PM

Very glad you're sticking around! grinning smiley
And those png are all transparent, which I suppose are most favicons, so may not say much... I do see some of those icons odd (striped like irfanview toolbar in 98se), but no freeze.

ATTENTION - just a test, I copied the tuchlb-png-icon unchanged, just renamed, to this page as favicon - SAVE YOUR CACHE FIRST ;-)
TEST http://two.xthost.info/siria/index-test-favicon.html

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 01:23PM by siria.

Date: November 16, 2009 03:25PM

Thanks Siria! Your test freezes my screen of course, which brings up an important point I failed to mention: these images ONLY cause problems when rendered as favicons by K-Meleon. I can view them directly or embedded in a web page in K-Meleon without any problems, and I can certainly view them with any other software. This underscores the fact that it's related to K-Meleon's rendering of favicons, and possibly tying in to the iconcache.dat functions. But it not actually a crash, which means that I shouldn't even be cluttering this thread, technically speaking. ;-)

I will also note that I just disabled tabbed browsing as a test but the freezing still happens.

To describe it once again, when favicons load the screen freezes. The mouse remains visible, animated icons in the tray continue to function, as does the browser's animated icon. If I click the start menu it will open but nothing becomes visible except the icons. The illusion presented by this scenario is that the computer is hopelessly locked up, but it's really just locked visually, you can continue to open programs and give input if you know how to work blind. The whole screen is affected and no window or graphical components will update except icons of various kinds. To snap the system out of this glitched state a screen bit depth or resolution change must be invoked, as I described earlier.

If I were to guess I'd say that k-meleonW9x.exe somehow manages to glitch a DLL like gdi32.dll (GDI). It will take a coder like Dorian to understand what is happening in the moment this glitch occurs, who still may not be able know what is happening on my machine with it's various drivers and DLLs.

Date: November 16, 2009 04:06PM

Just wondering, in the other crash thread mentioned above, the problem could be solved by replacing a file from the seamonkey build. Perhaps try that too...?

That's what solved my crashes due to messy font-families:
desga2
Can you test this new update from SM 1.1.18 ?
Updater from SM 1.1.18 to fix W9x problems

Not highly likely it's the same file that causes also freezes, but who knows...
desga2
I founded the bad file in Win98: gkgfxwin.dll
If you change it for a gkgfxwin.dll from Seamonkey 1.1.18 work fine in Win9x.

To avoid misunderstandings, this is quoted from another bug, but I'd just give it a shot here too. Trying can't harm anyway smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 06:40PM by siria.

Date: November 17, 2009 09:25AM

Thank you again Siria. You convinced me to try the full Gecko update but it didn't cure the frozen screen problem nor did it cure the crashing problem I regularly experience on the cnet site. I'm willing to let the matter rest now.

Posted by: DH
Date: July 14, 2010 09:22PM

Saving Sessions while a Youtube video is playing crashed the whole of KMeleon - it was too much to handle. Not much of a surprise to be honest, but I thought I ought to report it anyway.

Date: July 15, 2010 08:26PM

@ DH:
What Windows and K-Meleon version?

Thanks.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: July 20, 2010 09:01PM

OK, it's now crashing every time I save sessions!

K-Meleon 1.5.4, Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Date: July 23, 2010 08:12PM

How many tabs in session to save?
Are you tried to use a new profile, current can be corrupted?
Can you load fine old sessions saved?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 08:13PM by desga2.

Date: July 28, 2010 10:37AM

OK, now it's just crashing all the time, including on startup. In fact, I've just had to restart my computer barely 5 mins after first starting it because K-Meleon refused to run - it crashed every time it tried to start. This has only happened since 1.5.4 was installed, so seemingly 1.5.4 is more unstable than Vista!

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: July 28, 2010 11:25AM

Please, do try with a fresh profile, as desga has told you.
This is to try discerning which part of KM isn't working properly.

go to -> Edit -> Manage Profiles

in the appearing window, click "New"
in the appearing window then, enter a name different from your first profile.
click OK

tick the box "Ask at Startup"

Click OK

Exit K-Meleon
Start K-Meleon. When prompted, choose the new profile.
Test for a while.
If all is OK, go through the settings in F2. This IS a new profile, so non-default settings of your old one are not included here. Some of the settings need a restart.
Come back to report if anything special happens.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: kmeleon_user
Date: September 17, 2010 12:23AM

I have a crash dump from the dump report utility. the utility couldn't upload the report, so I am wondering where I should send it or how to get it to the proper person.

basically the browser crashes after a few executions in a single session of a bookmarklet that executes this statement at the end:
window.open('data:application/text,'+escape(text)).close();
text is a string that is never over 275 bytes. (i don't know the length of the escaped string).
application/text is a custom MIME-type setup to open in Notepad without any user prompts.

I can run it fine a few times, and it works great. But by the 4th-6th execution, it will crash the browser. Sometimes it is the standard "End Now" error dialog and sometimes it is a DEP error dialog.

Running: K-Meleon 1.5.4 on XPsp3 with DEP on as administrator.

Date: September 17, 2010 10:07PM

You can read it in the first post of the thread.

Dorian
Download the Crash report plugin installer

This plugin will send a report automatically after a crash. If it fails to send it, it will ask to save the report on your hardisk and you can send it later with the crash report form.

Make a clear description of your operating system, any changes you may have done to your kmeleon installation, and whatever you did before the crash that could be useful. If you're just going to put "crash" in the description you can be sure I'm not going to look at it.

Your email may also help me if I need more infos.

Post in this thread when you have sent a report.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: kmeleon_user
Date: September 20, 2010 04:32AM

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I should read a little more carefully.

I have since modified the Javascript to be:
window.open('data:application/text,'+escape(text)).setTimeout('window.close();',1000);
and it seems to have resolved the issue - well, I have run it 10+ times in a session without it crashing on me.

On another note, the uninstaller for the plugin didn't work for me - it just deleted itself and left the dbghelp.dll and crshrpt.dll (or whatever their names are) in the kmeleon and kmeleon\kplugins folders, respectively. K-Meleon was closed, and I do not use the loader, so it should have had no problem deleting those files.

W98 freeze on some websites
Posted by: Fred
Date: October 30, 2010 06:52PM

Hi, I have posted a thread about one of the problem mentioned above by other w98 users. (See:"Crash: Yahoo Finance News")

It happens indeed that turning my graphic card from 1024x768 TrueColor to 640x480 HiColor seems to fix the issue. But when I tried another setup in between, 800x600 HiColor the problem was back.

IMO it's more than one unfortunate setting.

For the screen resolution pluging (workaround), I doubt it will work for me since the keyboard itself is not responding. If you don't call this a crash, I don't know. LOL.

I ahve installed the bug report plugin but I haven seen him doing anything at all.

Posted by: jmillar
Date: December 01, 2010 11:10AM

It is very puzzling. I can't figure out why cp4 was so stable and hardly ever crashed and the immediate follow-on beta will crash surely and predictably (thankfully the session is restored when restarted). I've been following the thread and I can see the pinpointed glitches. I'm running XP SP3.

My question is: Is this due to the GRE upgrade or to other new coding done?
I'd give anything for a GRE-updated (i.e: safe and secure) cp4 right now!

Testing on current beta seems to have pinpointed the various crash reasons so until new betas are issued not much more testing can be done.

Thanks,guys for the efforts and care to keep our 'green meanie' alive! smiling smiley

Date: December 01, 2010 07:37PM

Have you already tried exchanging the kplugins with those from cp4? The bookmarks.dll is confirmed to cause problems with titles, and am not sure anymore, but guess someone said exchanging it also fixed other bugs for him...

Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 02, 2010 02:53PM

siria
Have you already tried exchanging the kplugins with those from cp4? The bookmarks.dll is confirmed to cause problems with titles, and am not sure anymore, but guess someone said exchanging it also fixed other bugs for him...

siria,

Regardless of OS, exchanging the bookmarks.dll plugin is probably a good thing. I did it as a precaution and I see no ill effects from the change.

XP PRO SP3

N

Posted by: hazelem
Date: December 25, 2010 11:48PM

v. 1.5.4.0 - portable - on xpsp3 on 'atom' board asked for MSVCR71.dll.
i copied the .dll into the k-meleon folder - to no avail.
i did not have this issue on xpsp2 on an older board !

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.