Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Default Browser Problem
Posted by: neolem
Date: October 24, 2006 08:03PM

I wanted to make K-meleon the default browser but get this bug: when I start it as default browser from a clickable link within some application (email or newsreader client), I always get TWO layers of the same page that is opening. Links that I click WITHIN the browser work normal and open just once.

Am using PocketKmeleon and the "set as default browser" feature within it does not seem to work, anyway. But I was able to set it as the default browser with the help of the little program "SetBrowser". Is there a way to make K-meleon open only ONE instance of a layer when it's started from a link within some application?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Default Browser Problem
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 26, 2006 05:07AM

AFAIK SetDefault is done in Registry - You need rights to alter that.
I do not know about the rest - but sounds like registry problem.

Posted by: kko
Date: October 26, 2006 04:42PM

Open the folder options dialog and check the protocols and file types you've associated with k-meleon. Make sure the DDE option is disabled. (A program designed to set the default browser should know to handle this.)

Posted by: meleon
Date: October 26, 2006 05:42PM

Thanks to both for the feedback. Yes, I know it's stored somewhere in the registry, but it seems not be too easy to find the proper location for each browser. I did once manage to stop Windows Explorer from constantly loading twice, but then I had found some detailed tips on the Internet of how to undo that. But there are very little clues about setting "manually" different browsers to start as default (only the options in the built-in "settings" are usually pointed out)

Can't find DDE. Maybe someone knows of another program to set the default browser, though "SetBrowser" that I've been using always, is usually very reliable. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the Pocket version of K-meleon.

I'll download the pocket version once more, maybe that helps and I can then set K-meleon as default browser within its "Preferences".

Posted by: neolem
Date: November 08, 2006 06:37PM

Hi kko!

Finally I found the DDE entry you mentioned! ;-) Disabled the DDE for the 4 associations that were bound to K-meleon, and now K-meleon starts properly from within applications with just ONE layer of the clicked link opening. Thanks for pointing it out. Would NEVER have found out by myself without your hint. Am now one more step ahead in getting rid of IE completely some time! ;-)

Posted by: Rich B
Date: August 07, 2007 05:49AM

In its preamble K-Meleon Setup Assistant states--" You can change as well as undo your settings at any time later." Accordingly KM was installed as the DEFAULT browser. Now for the time being I wish to revert to IE. The KM Setup Assistant,
Available Options...CHKD "Set K-Meleon as your default browser" when hi-lited by the
mouse pointer brings up in the 'Description': "Set K-Meleon as your default browser. You need Adminstrative priveleges." ...DOES NOT UNCHK!! My machine has but one user--the same who installed and configured KM in the 1st place. Please suggest a workaround.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 07, 2007 12:04PM

You can:
- Ask IE to set itself as default
- Launch setdefault.exe (in the kmeleon folder) with the parameter /u

Posted by: paradigm
Date: March 26, 2008 08:32AM

i have admin priveledges and i cannot seem to get mine to be default in any programs... it says that IE isn't the default, and it will still open up Firefox which was my old default. i want to make this work... i ran the wizard thing, and had them all checked but no luck sad smiley any ideas? i don't really know what was meant bye the DDE thing..... but even from any program i get the wrong browser popping up...

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 26, 2008 09:33AM

Try to force IE as Default, and set again K-Meleon as default.

Don't forget also to uncheck dde for file extensions and protocols concerned (htm,html,... http, https, ...)

Perhaps ...

Aren't you using VistaJeterParLaFenÃÂȘtre ??

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 09:33AM by JujuLand.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.