Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Broken browser.chrome.toolbar_tips preference
Posted by: Peabody
Date: November 26, 2006 01:37AM

In another thread, I posted my personal dislike for displaying the title element within any HTML tag. I discovered that there is a native Mozilla/Firefox preference to disable this display: browser.chrome.toolbar_tips. Toggling this preference works as expected in Firefox.

Unfortunately, this preference seems broken in K-M and has no effect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken browser.chrome.toolbar_tips preference
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 26, 2006 02:48AM

broken or not: AFAIK it could only help You in XUL windows such as about:config .

Posted by: rmn
Date: November 26, 2006 08:25AM

I wondered how a pref named "toolbar_tips" can affect the content area, but apparently so did gerv. (I love his response: "Wow, that sucks.")

Unfortunately this does not mean that the bug is fixed in K-Meleon; there is still no way to disable tooltips, in the toolbar or in the content area.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 26, 2006 02:56PM

AFAIK we have discused that in forum before (not all like the help/title bubles).

On my web page i have used "title/alt" to stuff the pages with additional info that was hard to place visibly (tells You the applet type). You can probably suppres it by injecting JS that cut it out.

Otherwise hard to prevent - that is why i used it :-D

Posted by: Peabody
Date: November 27, 2006 10:04PM

I wondered how a pref named "toolbar_tips" can affect the content area, but apparently so did gerv. (I love his response: "Wow, that sucks.")
I agree. I do not believe the preference should control both types of text balloons.

However, I strongly believe that end-users should control their display and that K-M lacks global control of either toolbar tooltips or page content text balloons derived from the "title" element.

In K-M, controlling toolbar tooltips requires laborious manual editing of the toolbar.cfg file. Such an approach is not user-friendly, even to experienced computer users who don't mind tinkering.

In K-M I have yet to discover a way to control page content text balloons.

This is NOT a question of improperly using "alt" tags to display tooltips as IE incorrectly does, but disabling the display of the "title" element in any HTML tag.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.